• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel, Palestinians, context, history, chicken and egg

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Lots of threads on RF about the war in Gaza.

I've put some time into studying the last couple of hundred years into studying Israel. I'm no expert, but if we just take the last hundred years the history is incredibly complex. I see a lot of finger pointing going on in these RF discussions, and a lot of the finger pointing seems to boil down to:

"well your side started it". E.g. "Hamas is justified, because Israel oppresses Palestinians".

From a logic perspective, if you make a claim like the above, you ARE using some context in your claim. Your argument is dependent on the idea that - at least in recent history - you think Israel has been oppressing Palestinians. If recent history was different and Gaza was paradise on earth, you probably wouldn't think that Hamas's attacks on Oct. 7th were justified.

From my perspective, CONTEXT ALMOST ALWAYS MATTERS. So it's fine that you use some historical context to draw your conclusions, that's often how we sort out ethical and moral dilemmas. Context is often key in legal situations.

== How much context is the correct context?

To me, that's the hard question. When we look at this war in Gaza and try to make sense of it, how much context should we be using? Should we use only the last 2 months? That seems insufficient. How about the last 20 years? How about if we start our analysis at the beginning of the 1967 war? Or maybe it should be started in the weeks leading up to the 1967 war? Or maybe we need to go back further and start in 1947-48? Or maybe further and start with the Balfour declaration? Or maybe go back a couple hundred years and look at how the Ottoman's were ruling this area of land?

== The mistake is to avoid considering context

If you have an opinion about this war, as clearly many people on RF do, how did you come to this opinion? How much historical context do you think should be a part of your thinking?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If you have an opinion about this war, as clearly many people on RF do, how did you come to this opinion?
After my initial emotional reaction abated, my opinion is that there is no clear one side vs the other side. There are Israelis who attack Palestinians and want to create greater Israel and kick out non Jews. There are Arabs who want to wipe out Israel and kick out and murder all Jews and others who are friendly to Jews. There are also albeit small voices on both sides that want to find a path to peace.

In the war itself, Israel has been basically proven correct about Hamas using Gaza residents as human shields and putting weapons in schools etc. I also know that Hamas started this round and Israel needs to finish it.
How much historical context do you think should be a part of your thinking?
The historical context is all of it including what is in the Bible and Quran and how it's been interpreted. That history informs me that the cycle of barbarism and destruction won't end until everyone in the region decides to put the past aside and start learning to live together.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

I've put some time into studying the last couple of hundred years into studying Israel. I'm no expert, but if we just take the last hundred years the history is incredibly complex. I see a lot of finger pointing going on in these RF discussions, and a lot of the finger pointing seems to boil down to:

"well your side started it". E.g. "Hamas is justified, because Israel oppresses Palestinians".

From a logic perspective, if you make a claim like the above, you ARE using some context in your claim. Your argument is dependent on the idea that - at least in recent history - you think Israel has been oppressing Palestinians. If recent history was different and Gaza was paradise on earth, you probably wouldn't think that Hamas's attacks on Oct. 7th were justified.

From my perspective, CONTEXT ALMOST ALWAYS MATTERS. So it's fine that you use some historical context to draw your conclusions, that's often how we sort out ethical and moral dilemmas. Context is often key in legal situations.

== How much context is the correct context?

To me, that's the hard question. When we look at this war in Gaza and try to make sense of it, how much context should we be using? Should we use only the last 2 months? That seems insufficient. How about the last 20 years? How about if we start our analysis at the beginning of the 1967 war? Or maybe it should be started in the weeks leading up to the 1967 war? Or maybe we need to go back further and start in 1947-48? Or maybe further and start with the Balfour declaration? Or maybe go back a couple hundred years and look at how the Ottoman's were ruling this area of land?

== The mistake is to avoid considering context

If you have an opinion about this war, as clearly many people on RF do, how did you come to this opinion? How much historical context do you think should be a part of your thinking?
I am not interested in passing any judgment. The question is what is the path to peace? And I admit, I don't know the answer to that question, but I suspect doing the same things that have always been done is not the answer.

siti

When we look at this war in Gaza and try to make sense of it, how much context should we be using?

Don't know how to quantify context but at any rate here's a little bit of context that might be helpful (in making sense of why "this war" - the current phase of the continuing exchange of atrocities is happening - I certainly don't pretend to have any workable solution to suggest):

1. The founder of HAMAS, Ahmed Yassin, fled to Gaza as a boy when his village was "depopulated" by the IDF in 1948.

2. The (fanatical Islamist) precursor to (the fanatical Islamist) HAMAS that he founded in the early 1970s, after he had been a member of the (fanatical Islamist) Muslim Brotherhood for a number of years (all of which were surely known to Israeli intelligence), was officially recognized and financially supported by the Israeli government as a "charity" because the religious fanatics (they imagined) were a better option than the secular PLO (etc) and their rise would divide support among Palestinians and make it easier for the IDF to keep a lid on Palestinian militancy.

3. That support from Israel (and who knows where else?) enabled Mujama al-Islamiya to build schools, mosques and libraries etc. in Gaza and endear the founder and his associates to the Palestinian people, whose support continued to grow after he and his associates founded HAMAS during the first Intifada in 1987.

4. The Israeli government was warned - even before HAMAS was built on the foundation partly funded by Israel - by both their own and foreign officials that supporting fanatical Islamists against the secular Palestinians in order to divide opposition would eventually blow up in their face.

5. It did.

Bthoth

I know. The news is a mess, as even local stations turn to that mess.
Your argument is dependent on the idea that - at least in recent history - you think Israel has been oppressing Palestinians.
Israel has been oppressing palestinians for over half a century.
If recent history was different and Gaza was paradise on earth, you probably wouldn't think that Hamas's attacks on Oct. 7th were justified.

There is no justification of the 10/7 attack.... period. If they wanted to fight the military or police, that is justified but not the civilians.

Just as the retribution that israel is taking is NOT Justified.

I even saw a thread claiming that UNRWA workers are holding hostages based on a radio station speaking to an aunt. But not one word is clarified with the victim (hostage).

The situation is not so simple but I will try. Israel exist in palestine because of a religious need, desire, idolatry for that mount. The religious right (nut cases) intend to take that location and build a temple and return to animal sacrificing.

Very few here out west comprehend the focal problem.

It's not anti semitism. It's not hatred for Jews.

It is based on an intent to take that location, move the gold domed building and build a temple.

The Jews that lived in palestine did not have that problem and the majority on the earth do not have that problem, but the extremist, the right wingnuts continue to incite violence over that location and have for over half a century and THAT is the focal problem of the israeli/palestinian divide!

Take the time and read up on the violence that continues to occur at that location.

Then look up temple institute and read about the 'red heifer' animal sacrifice.

Think for yourself and do the homework.

icehorse

Premium Member
Think for yourself and do the homework.

First off, the OP was not taking any stand. It was neutral, it gave a few examples, that's all. So I'm not sure why you seem to want to attack the OP?

Second, you've seriously cherry-picked a few isolated data points out of an ocean of data points, hardly an example of thinking for yourself.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Don't know how to quantify context but at any rate here's a little bit of context that might be helpful (in making sense of why "this war" - the current phase of the continuing exchange of atrocities is happening - I certainly don't pretend to have any workable solution to suggest):

1. The founder of HAMAS, Ahmed Yassin, fled to Gaza as a boy when his village was "depopulated" by the IDF in 1948.

2. The (fanatical Islamist) precursor to (the fanatical Islamist) HAMAS that he founded in the early 1970s, after he had been a member of the (fanatical Islamist) Muslim Brotherhood for a number of years (all of which were surely known to Israeli intelligence), was officially recognized and financially supported by the Israeli government as a "charity" because the religious fanatics (they imagined) were a better option than the secular PLO (etc) and their rise would divide support among Palestinians and make it easier for the IDF to keep a lid on Palestinian militancy.

3. That support from Israel (and who knows where else?) enabled Mujama al-Islamiya to build schools, mosques and libraries etc. in Gaza and endear the founder and his associates to the Palestinian people, whose support continued to grow after he and his associates founded HAMAS during the first Intifada in 1987.

4. The Israeli government was warned - even before HAMAS was built on the foundation partly funded by Israel - by both their own and foreign officials that supporting fanatical Islamists against the secular Palestinians in order to divide opposition would eventually blow up in their face.

5. It did.
Really.

Sounds quite different here.....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can you point to examples of people on this forum saying that?
Nope. That would be a personal attack against forum rules and I'm just going to let the postings here speak for themselves without picking specific names , and let those reading the exchanges themselves decide weither its antisemitic or not.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Nope. That would be a personal attack against forum rules and I'm just going to let the postings here speak for themselves without picking specific names , and let those reading the exchanges themselves decide weither its antisemitic or not.
So, nobody has said that?

What do you call it when you accuse others of saying something they haven't, again?

Bthoth

First off, the OP was not taking any stand. It was neutral, it gave a few examples, that's all. So I'm not sure why you seem to want to attack the OP?

Second, you've seriously cherry-picked a few isolated data points out of an ocean of data points, hardly an example of thinking for yourself.
I wrote to address the what the divide is about. I cannot condone or approve of any violence. Nothing gives reason for what HAMAS did. Just as nothing is reason enough for the illegal occupation or apartheid.

Like you, I find the whole mess just a complete mess and have yet to comprehend the why.

icehorse

Premium Member
Can you point out a single example of the above argument being made? Specifically the "Hamas is justified" part.

You do understand that in the OP that was used merely as an example?

And, fwiw, I can find posts that echo that meaning, if not word for word. But that's not the point of this thread. The point is to discuss / debate different CONTEXTS that posters might be using to understand this conflict.

Yerda

Veteran Member
How much context is required to have the opinion that this is terrible and should not be so terrible?