• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel to lift blockade of Lebanon on Thurs. evening

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Israel to lift blockade of Lebanon on Thurs. evening

Israel will lift its sea and air blockade of Lebanon on Thursday evening, the Israeli government announced Wednesday evening.

A statement from the Prime Minister's Office said international forces would replace the Israelis at command positions over Lebanese seaports and airports.

Families of kidnapped soldiers Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev said that Israel should not lift the blockade before the kidnappers reveal any signs of life of the captured troops.

The families have repeatedly expressed fears that the kidnappers would attempt to smuggle the soldiers out of Lebanon.
Earlier, Lebanese Foreign Minister Fawzi Salloukh threatened Lebanon would break Israel's air and naval blockade if the cordon was not called off within 48 hours.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154526018494&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

will the lifting of the embargo help Hezbullah to rearm as Israel fears? Should Israel have continued the blockade until soldiers from Lebanon and the international community occupied southern Lebanon?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I heard of this! I saw a report about a Qatari Airlines flight that landed in Beirut anyway, despite the blockade. The passengers got off the plane waving Lebanese flags. :D So nice! Oh, well thank God. Finally now we get some aid to the people in the south.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Oh, sorry jewscout. I just saw your questions at the bottom.

I think the bigger concern right now has to be for hundreds of thousands of Lebanese civilians who need supplies, reconstruction, and development - moreso than two soldiers.

As for the change-over, our news said Israel is leaving as the international forces take over - that hasn't changed - it's just that this is going to be by Thursday at their port and airport posts.