• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is beginning to look a lot as if vaping is no improvement over smoking:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Vaping appears to be doing massive harm to the lungs of vapers. Like smoking it takes a few years for the results to begin to become apparent. It was never obvious immediately since most of the early vapers were those that took up the habit to replace smoking and any damage could easily have been blamed on their previous use of tobacco. But now we have a new generation and there are many who never smoked at all.

' “In the last 24 to 36 months, I’ve seen an explosive uptick of patients who vape,” reports Broderick. “With tobacco, we have six decades of rigorous studies to show which of the 7,000 chemicals inhaled during smoking impact the lungs. But with vaping, we simply don’t know the short- or long-term effects yet and which e-cigarette components are to blame.” '

It may be possible to make vaping safe. I think that perhaps the first move would be to ban all flavoring ingredients until they find out what is safe and what is not. If it is the nicotine itself then the whole industry may need to be banned. If it is the flavoring ingredients then vaping itself may be kept legal, but the manufacturers will hate that since the flavorings are often needed to get people hooked in the first place. But banning flavoring first is to me the best idea since it would slow down the number of new addicts. And it might cure the problem without totally banning an addictive substance that might be hard to control

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How old is that article?
I do not know. I saw an article on what I did not think was a particularly reliable source. Mind you, they were not a bad source either. It was a popular news source so I wanted a more reliable one and I thought that Johns (both of them) Hopkins (both of them too) was a more reliable source. Here is another almost a year old, and it does say that it is a recent problem there:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I started vaping on Dec. 12, 2011 to replace a 42 year cigarette habit. I hardly ever set it down until 2014, but my morning cough, lack of smell, and diminished taste reverted to non-smoker levels within a couple of months. Nicotine withdrawal was hell on earth even with the vape, but I continued to reduce the percentage in my e-liquid orders until I was at 0 nicotine and held until the hand-to-mouth need was conquered.

As long as I was getting a good level of nicotine, the e-liquid I used was 100% propylene glycol which provides no "smoke effect." As the lack of nicotine became more problematic, I added more vegetable glycol to have a more realistic enhale/exhale smoking simulation. I also increased the battery strength and other details of the vape "pen" to give a closer simulation.

By the time I got to 0 nicotine I was at 100% vegetable glycol. This is obviously not good as the e-liquid at that mix is very, very oily. My skin was greasy from the exhale. There's no question it was not good for my lungs. A new cough began. Not the thick, deep, chest racking of a smoker's cough where you get up something to spit out, but more of a tickling throat cough that had no end result. This definitely helped my breaking the motion-habit and I was soon able to pack all my vaping paraphernalia away.

Ten years later, I still have my kit in the drawer, but I don't need it. I keep it there just like I kept that last half pack of cigarettes in the refrigerator for the first two years I vaped. I highly recommend vaping with a nicotine reduction plan for smoker's if patches fail, though many are still not successful. I know I would never have been able to set cigarettes down without my kit, so I'm extremely grateful. However, I can speak from experience, vaping for flavor or fad is STUPID.

Sorry -- that's my view.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What I still don't get is why people start smoking, or vaping at all given all the negative reports. I can understand getting hooked on opiates if you are injured and need a pain reliever. But smoking is totally optional. There must be a strong peer pressure and social influence to start this habit.

Spice

What I still don't get is why people start smoking, or vaping at all given all the negative reports. I can understand getting hooked on opiates if you are injured and need a pain reliever. But smoking is totally optional. There must be a strong peer pressure and social influence to start this habit.
Well, in the 1930s the doctor put my mother on cigarettes instead of pills for emotional sensitivity. I began smoking at 14 due to peer pressure, but by 16 I was a "smoker" due to a different kind of peer pressure. Nicotine is calming.

Nicotine is a helpful drug, but I don't think it's ever been packaged as such because it can be deadly. My doctors never suggested I quit. My bosses always supported my need. I, like my mother, had touchy sensitivity that smoking treated.

When vaping became available many people I know went to the home demonstration shows and bought starter kits. Restaurants and other public places were going smoke-free at a rapid rate, including our office. It was a difficult road, but no regrets. My sensitivity is now treated the modern way in tablet form. LOL

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, in the 1930s the doctor put my mother on cigarettes instead of pills for emotional sensitivity. I began smoking at 14 due to peer pressure, but by 16 I was a "smoker" due to a different kind of peer pressure. Nicotine is calming.

Nicotine is a helpful drug, but I don't think it's ever been packaged as such because it can be deadly. My doctors never suggested I quit. My bosses always supported my need. I, like my mother, had touchy sensitivity that smoking treated.

When vaping became available many people I know went to the home demonstration shows and bought starter kits. Restaurants and other public places were going smoke-free at a rapid rate, including our office. It was a difficult road, but no regrets. My sensitivity is now treated the modern way in tablet form. LOL
Yes, nicotine is a fantastic drug. Too bad that it has all of the complications that go with it. I quite smoking about 15 years ago. I had been feeling worse and worse from it and then when I quit it seemed that my body was not hacking up all of the nasties any longer. Unfortunately, I still had quite a few in my lungs. I ended up going to the ER, they took me right back. Which is not a good sign. Three days later I went home. When I told the doctor I had quit but my housemate still smoked he said that I would start again. I wish that I had made a bet with him.

☆Dreamwind☆

Inhaling hot smoke of any sort isn't good for anyone's lungs. I never understood why people thought vaping would be less risky then smoking tobacco, marijuana, or hard drugs. It's still hot smoke laced with chemicals and/or plant matter.

Still, if people wanna do it, it's none of my affair. So long as they're considerate of others.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Nicotine is a stimulant. It's got its perks. Keeping you focused and alert at work for instance. Or just to help you stay up a bit later then you normally would. Not condoning it, just stating there is a reason why nicotine is popular. It's potent magic.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Vaping appears to be doing massive harm to the lungs of vapers. Like smoking it takes a few years for the results to begin to become apparent. It was never obvious immediately since most of the early vapers were those that took up the habit to replace smoking and any damage could easily have been blamed on their previous use of tobacco. But now we have a new generation and there are many who never smoked at all.

' “In the last 24 to 36 months, I’ve seen an explosive uptick of patients who vape,” reports Broderick. “With tobacco, we have six decades of rigorous studies to show which of the 7,000 chemicals inhaled during smoking impact the lungs. But with vaping, we simply don’t know the short- or long-term effects yet and which e-cigarette components are to blame.” '

It may be possible to make vaping safe. I think that perhaps the first move would be to ban all flavoring ingredients until they find out what is safe and what is not. If it is the nicotine itself then the whole industry may need to be banned. If it is the flavoring ingredients then vaping itself may be kept legal, but the manufacturers will hate that since the flavorings are often needed to get people hooked in the first place. But banning flavoring first is to me the best idea since it would slow down the number of new addicts. And it might cure the problem without totally banning an addictive substance that might be hard to control

Makes sense vaping is no better then smoking. Inhaling 500°+(f)[260C] anything will cause lung damage over time.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Vaping seems to be worse, or as damaging as smoking, especially for those who start young and where their bodies are still developing. No excuse for tempting any under 18 or even older perhaps as to begin vaping - with the fancy flavours and packaging, for example. Possibly the best bet to not have them start is - you could spend your money much better elsewhere and where a habit is not so easily broken even if this will not be apparent at first. Just look at those older and who have been smoking for much of their lives and have not managed to quit. Plus, doing either might limit one as to what can be done physically. This recently:

Our study has uncovered something that, until now, has received limited attention: the potentially harmful substances produced when e-liquids in vaping devices are heated for inhalation. We used an AI neural network model – a method that teaches computers to process data in a way that is inspired by the human brain – to simulate the effects of heating e-liquid flavor chemicals found in nicotine vapes. Then, examining all 180 known e-liquid flavor chemicals, it predicted the new compounds formed when these substances are heated in a vaping device immediately prior to inhalation. Worryingly, this revealed the formation of many hazardous chemicals including 127 classified as "acute toxic", 153 as "health hazards", and 225 as "irritants" (some were classified in more than one of these categories). Among these, volatile carbonyls (VCs) – chemicals known for their negative health effects – were predicted to form in the fruit-, candy- and dessert-flavored products that are most popular with younger vapers. Our findings indicate a significantly different profile of chemical hazards compared with traditional tobacco smoking. We could even be on the cusp of a new wave of chronic diseases that will emerge 15 to 20 years from now due to prolonged exposures.

Last edited:

Spice

Yes, nicotine is a fantastic drug. Too bad that it has all of the complications that go with it. I quite smoking about 15 years ago. I had been feeling worse and worse from it and then when I quit it seemed that my body was not hacking up all of the nasties any longer. Unfortunately, I still had quite a few in my lungs. I ended up going to the ER, they took me right back. Which is not a good sign. Three days later I went home. When I told the doctor I had quit but my housemate still smoked he said that I would start again. I wish that I had made a bet with him.
I still have the craving from time to time, but not the need. And I get pleasure from being around others who smoke, but not the desire to join in. I definitely don't miss the control they had on my life!