• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Japanese-American/Brit Perspectives on War

nutshell

While searching for a paper I wrote for another thread, I came across the one below. I wrote it years ago as an undergrad for an Asian American literature course. Given a certain poster describing the war in Iraq as "brilliant," I felt compelled to post my paper. I'm embarassed to do so, but I hope you enjoy it. Note: It may not make sense if you haven't read the novels I reference. I hope you have. If not, get them today.

nutshell

Authors of Japanese Heritage:

Calling a Universal Audience to Action

During times of war atrocities are committed on both sides that some would say are best forgotten. These atrocities are not confined to the desperate soldiers on the battlefield, but can occur among the governments, and even the private citizens of the warring countries. Many authors have used literature to speak on the subject of war. While speaking on such an important topic, it is necessary to reach a universal audience, especially because wars have proven to affect so many different people throughout time. War is a universal event. Two Japanese-heritage authors, Julie Otsuka and Kazuo Ishiguro, in their novels When the Emperor was Divine and An Artist of the Floating World, respectively, use different methods to speak to a universal audience, while at the same time conveying the same message: The reader must take action to ensure the mistakes of war are not repeated. The points of this discussion may also be enriched through an examination of haiku written by Japanese-Americans while living in U.S. concentration camps.

Reviewing the background of the authors before directly addressing the methods they use to speak to the universal reader may help us understand how their backgrounds influenced their writings – and ultimately, their desire to reach a universal audience. Otsuka was born and raised in California after the internment. Her family was interned, but she says, “There was always a lot of silence in my family about the internment – nobody seemed to want to talk about it” (Yoon). Images of war kept coming up in the comic stories she wrote and finally, she determined she needed to address this topic. The result was her first novel’s first chapter, “Evacuation order No. 19.” Otsuka describes this as the first piece of “serious” fiction she had ever written (Yoon). As she was growing up, her parents only spoke English at home and she never received instruction in Japanese culture. It wasn’t until she went to college that she began studying Japanese and became interested in her heritage. She visited Japan when she was nineteen, describing her experience as “wonderful, but very disorienting. I don’t think I’d ever been any place that made me feel so ‘other’ before. Japan and the Japanese were much more foreign than I’d ever imagined” (Yoon). It may seem amazing to think that a person born to Japanese immigrants would think of Japan as so foreign, but her statements are revealing. They tell the reader how Western, and, more specifically, how American she really is. She is not Japanese, she is an American writer writing about a dark moment in American history. Ishiguro, on the other hand, was born in Japan in 1954 and moved to Britain in 1960. He was raised with the language and culture of Japan as his parents believed they would be returning to Japan, rather than staying in England. They did stay, however, leaving Ishiguro straddling two cultures (Bass). This has allowed Ishiguro to tell very different stories as he draws upon the varying cultures that reside within him. For example, in An Artist of the Floating World the main character is a Japanese artist haunted by his past as a propaganda painter for the imperial military while in what is perhaps Ishiguro’s most famous novel, The Remains of the Day, the story is of an elderly English butler.

In May Sky, There is Always Tomorrow, Violet Kazue de Cristoforo compiles a collection of Japanese-American Kaiko Haiku written while the authors lived in the concentration camps established by the U.S. government. Kaiko is a free-style form of haiku that focuses on self-expression rather than scenery. It is also important to note that the haiku quoted does not necessarily adhere to the traditional five-seven-five syllable pattern due either to the free-style form or the effects of translation (Cristoforo, 21). Like Otsuka and Ishiguro, some of these authors may have considered English to be their first language, however, other of the haiku authors’ first language was Japanese, and their poetry was later translated by Cristoforo for the anthology. Also, these writers have something Otsuka and Ishiguro do not: Actually living through World War II, in this case in the U.S. concentration camps for Japanese-Americans. Because of this experience, their haiku has the effect of illuminating some of the themes and points Otsuka and Ishiguro strive to make in each of their own novels. Although Otsuka, Ishiguro, and the haiku authors each have different backgrounds, they are all speaking to a universal reader.

When the Emperor Was Divine tells the story of a Japanese-American family torn apart when the husband is illegally arrested after Pearl Harbor and the wife and two children are later forced to live in a concentration camp located in the extremes of Utah. The novel is divided into five chapters and each chapter is told from a different point-of-view: the mother’s, the daughter’s, the son’s, both the son’s and daughter’s, and finally, the father’s. Each of these characters is not named throughout the novel, allowing Otsuka to draw in a universal audience, her intended reader. An examination of each of these points-of-view reveals how Otsuka draws the reader in, shares the experience of Japanese-Americans in concentration camps, and finally, confronts the reader with an accusation and implied call to action.
The novel begins with the mother’s point of view. The depiction of the mother is very appealing, drawing in readers, especially those who respect the practical steadiness the mother exhibits during a difficult time. Evidence of her solid personality begins on the first page: “[She] could see everything clearly for the first time in weeks” (Otsuka, 3). Undoubtedly, she struggled after reading the notice stapled to the door of the municipal court, but this line tells the reader that by the beginning of the story she has a firm grip on the situation. Despite the humiliating circumstance, she still has her pride, as evidenced by her paying Joe Lundy even when he offers to let her pay later. The strongest evidence of her practical steadiness comes when she kills White Dog. The description of her preparing his final meal, tying him up, and using the shovel to end his life is very methodical, showing she had planned for this moment. White Dog himself also becomes a symbol of what is being lost. White is the common symbol of innocence or purity and dogs are often portrayed as trustworthy or “man’s best friend.” If White Dog then is the embodiment of these symbols then Otsuka is showing that the U.S., through its treatment of Japanese-Americans, has lost its innocence and trust with some of its citizens. This becomes an immediate statement to the reader being drawn into the novel, telling them this is a story about a wrong committed during a time of war. This frame of mind sets up the reader so that he or she views what is to come through the critical eye that has been established by the mother. The steady and practical approach demonstrated by the mother is evident among real Japanese-Americans who lived in the concentration camps as well.

Cristoforo has included in her anthology the following haiku by Hisao Fukuda, who was kept at the Rohwer concentration camp: “Sunny day / windy day / gathering dried potatoes” (119). The need to gather food regardless of the weather shows a practical act of survival and demonstrates that the mother in Otsuka’s novel has a real quality to her that existed among Japanese-Americans actually living the experience described. This haiku enriches the mother, letting us know she is a “real” character in that she truly represents those who were in the concentration camps.
Once the reader is committed to going on the journey with the mother, Otsuka switches the point-of-view to the children (first the daughter, then the son, then both) to tell of the actual experiences of traveling to the concentration camp, living in Utah, and returning home to Berkeley. The children’s point-of-view may be used to strengthen the feelings of sympathy the reader has begun to have after reading the mother’s experience. The daughter is eleven years old – young enough to still be innocent, but old enough to offer a reliable point-of-view free from the bias that develops as one gets older. The son is eight years old, representing more of the traditional innocence associated with children. An important characteristic of these children is their nationality. Otsuka tells the reader that these children, and by extension their mother and father too, are American. She does this through a description of either their clothes or hobbies. For example, it is repeatedly pointed out that the daughter wears Mary Janes. Every time her shoes are mentioned, they seem a little more scuffed up, perhaps representing the damage America is incurring as it holds its own citizens prisoner. By looking at the events through the eyes of a child, the reader is given a frank and honest view of life in a concentration camp and of life post-World War II where previous friends now look upon their Japanese-American neighbors as suspect enemies.

nutshell

Two haiku that capture the child-like innocence of the characters of daughter and son are written by Sei Sagara of the Tule Lake Valley segregation center: “At midday / children chasing dragonflies / their teeth are white,” and, “Children’s flowers / bloomed first / pleasant summer morning breeze” (Cristoforo, 257). These two haiku place children in scenes of natural beauty, reinforcing the goodness of child-like innocence. While life in the concentration camps was more difficult than life pre-concentration camp for most of the residents, children could still muster the will to find pleasure among their surroundings. Sagara’s reference to white teeth is comparable to a scene in When the Emperor Was Divine when the daughter worries that there is something wrong with her face. Her mother assures her that there is not, telling her, “You have a fine set of teeth,” to which the daughter replies, “Teeth don’t count,” and the mother finishes, “Teeth are essential” (15). These haiku reinforce the innocence of the children and the practical approach of the mother.

Finally, Otsuka concludes with a brief chapter told from the Father’s point-of-view. Up to this point, the reader has been hooked by the mother’s steadiness in the face of adversity and the children’s innocent telling of life in the concentration camp, but now the reader who has made this journey is addressed directly by the novel. Otsuka uses the pronoun “you” to directly communicate the important message of her novel to the reader. The father’s chapter becomes both a confession and an accusation. The confession is, “Everything you have heard is true” (140). Knowing that those of Japanese heritage do not like to talk about their experiences at the concentration camp, Otsuka delivers this statement to reinforce that she has spoken about it. What comes next is an angry tirade of false confessions meant to show the absurdity of detaining American citizens. These false confessions amount to an accusation directed towards the reader. The son and daughter have already shared what things were like for the family upon their return to Berkeley and now the father is pointing the finger and telling the reader that he or she allowed it to happen, even if indirectly, and he or she has a responsibility to see that this type of thing does not happen again.

The “you” the father is speaking to is the universal reader. In an interview, Otsuka describes the experience of Japanese-Americans during World War II as “universal” and acknowledges that “all throughout history people have been rounded up and sent away into exile” (Yoon). Because of this, she has written a novel for the universal reader – anyone can pick it up, get caught up in the mother’s story, experience life with the children, and then face the angry father’s accusation. Hisao Fukuda wrote another applicable haiku: “Pathetic / cowboys’ boots are lopsided / cattle being dehorned” (117). The internment of Japanese-Americans certainly was a pathetic act and it is important that readers of When the Emperor Was Divine don’t become dehorned like the cattle mentioned in the poem, but strive to do what’s right. Ishiguro has a similar message, but uses slightly different means to address his universal audience.

In An Artist of the Floating World, Ishiguro uses a first-person narrative to tell the story of Masuji Ono, a retired artist whose marriage negotiations for his younger daughter, Noriko, are threatened by a past he has yet to confront himself. Ono, once a well-known and respected artist, gave up his continued mastery of art to paint propaganda for Imperial Japan. By using a first-person narrative and directly addressing the reader as “you,” Ishiguro reveals the wrongs of an individual during war and invites the reader to avoid the same mistakes in the future.

A first-person narration gives the reader an opportunity to experience the same things the main character is experiencing. In this case, Ono is haunted by his past, but is in denial that he may have done any wrong. During a discussion with Noriko about the reason the most recent marriage negotiations failed, Ono says, “They gave their reason clearly enough at the time. They felt the young man was inadequately placed to be worthy of you.” Noriko responds, “But you know that was just formality, Father.” The conversation continues with Ono restating it was a matter of status, to which Noriko questions her own beauty (which is similar to the daughter in Otsuka’s novel wondering if she is pretty enough). Ono reassures her that is not the case and Noriko replies, “Well, Father, if it wasn’t to do with me, then I wonder what it could have been to make them pull out like that” (Ishiguro, 52). The conversation ends and Ono, suspicious of what his daughter has just said, fails to admit that his past is the reason the marriage negotiations failed. Ono also seems to have a bad memory. As he reflects on past events he constantly tells “you,” the reader, he’s unsure of what he’s actually remembering, saying things like, “I could hardly recall the conversation I had had,” and, “I believe we did not discuss the matter further after that” (Ishiguro 54, 85). Ono’s denial and confused memory make him an unreliable narrator. The effect on the reader is initially one of questioning, but as Ono continues to admit that his recollection of events may be skewed, he gradually builds trust with the reader. Further, the reader is able to sympathize with the Ono as he comes to grips with his past, making it possible for the reader to grasp the lesson Ishiguro would share with this novel.

Shizuku Uyemaruko, while at the Tule Lake segregation center, writes the following haiku, which may summarize Ono’s conflict about the past: “On certain days / heart is full of hypocrisy / flowers of gobo are purple” (Cristoforo, 269). “Certain days” can be the days when Noriko’s marriage negotiations are forefront in his mind and the hypocrisy is the unvoiced worry he feels because of his past actions. Just as Uyemaruko is able to find a spot of beauty amidst turmoil, Ono is able to reconcile his past with himself and with others.

Ono finally admits the mistakes of his past at a miai, a formal dinner and meeting with the most recent prospective husband and his family. The dinner begins awkwardly as Ono senses through the prospective husband’s younger brother the hostility the family feels towards him. Out of care for his daughter, Ono abandons traditional restraint and boldly confronts his past: “‘There are some, Mrs. Saito,’ I said perhaps a little loudly, ‘who believe my career to have been a negative influence. An influence now best erased and forgotten. I am not unaware of this viewpoint. […] And as for myself, I am now quite prepared to accept the validity of such an opinion.’” He is told that he is being unfair to himself, but he boldly continues, not allowing himself or anyone else to make excuses for his past actions:

There are some who would say it is people like myself who are responsible for the terrible things that happened to this nation of ours. As far as I am concerned, I freely admit I made many mistakes. I accept that much of what I did was ultimately harmful to our nation, that mine was part of an influence that resulted in untold suffering for our own people. I admit this. You see, Dr. Saito, I admit this quite readily. 123.

The result of admitting the mistake of the past is a successful marriage negotiation. What’s more, Ono now recognizes the responsibility of moving into a future that won’t allow for war atrocities to take place. The novel ends with Ono speaking to “you” and looking towards the future: “Our nation, it seems, whatever mistakes it may have made in the past, has now another chance to make a better go of things” (Ishiguro, 206). The result for the reader who has journeyed with Ono is a call to admit the mistakes of the past and a commitment not to repeat the mistakes in the future. Ishiguro also speaks directly to the universal reader by having Ono say, “our nation,” rather than “Japan.” It makes his message accessible not only to the Japanese, but to the British, Americans, and any other who might read his novel.

Certainly messages that speak out against acts that occur during times of war should be meant for the universal reader as war seems to occur at any time and place imaginable. Otsuka effectively uses varying points-of-view of the victims to draw the reader in and end her novel with a call to action. Ishiguro sets his novel with a similar message in a far different location and uses a first-person narrative of one who committed the wrong and speaking to “you” consistently through the story to address the universal reader. The haiku compiled by Cristoforo enlightens these two texts, bringing to life the characters and making them more real, which authenticates the call to action each author makes. Kikuja Okamoto of the Rohwer concentration camp writes, “In my palm – flower seeds / you gave me / with their local names” (145). Otsuka and Ishiguro have planted the seeds of action for the reader and now the responsibility falls upon the reader to harvest the result, ensuring that the mistakes of war no longer continue.

nutshell

Works Cited
Bass, Randall. &#8220;Kazuo Ishiguro&#8217;s Life and Works.&#8221; Postimperial and Postcolonial Literature in English. 28 Nov. 2005. < http://www.hewett.norfolk.sch.uk/curric/english/resource/ishiguro/ishiguro.htm.>
Cristoforo, Violet Kazue de. May Sky. There is Always Tomorrow: An Anthology of Japanese American Concentration Camp Kaiko Haiku. Los Angeles: Sun & Moon Press, 1997.
Ishiguro, Kazuo. An Artist of the Floating World. New York: Vintage Books, 1989.
Otsuka, Julie. When the Emperor Was Divine. New York: Random House, 2002.
Yoon, Cindy. &#8220;Interview with Julie Otsuka, Author of When the Emperor was Divine.&#8221; Dec. 3, 2003. Asia Society. 2005. Nov. 28, 2005. < AsiaSource Interview with Julie Otsuka, Author of "When the Emperor was Divine".>