• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
Jer 31:34 And they shall no longer, each man, teach his neighbor, and each man his brother, saying know thee YHVH. Because they all will know me; thus from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith YHVH. Because I will forgive their iniquity, and their offences (I) won't mark any longer.
Again, I do not see your point. The words are jumbled different ways, but to me they mean the same.

"And they do not teach any more" is far different from -

"And they shall no longer" - teach - "because."

It is talking about a future event.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Cheers, that was what I was talking about
Really?
The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai ("Lord", editor) or Elohim ("God", editor). [ibid]
Replaced? Replaced what? What evidence is there of early Hebrew diacritics being replaced? What were these early vowel pointers?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I thought it's that we don't know what the vowels should be?
We don't. But ...
The Masoretes ... replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai ("Lord", editor) or Elohim ("God", editor).​
is a far different claim than is ...
The Masoretes ... supplied the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai ("Lord", editor) or Elohim ("God", editor).​
Again, see qere perpetual.

Wherenextcolumbus

We don't. But ...
The Masoretes ... replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai ("Lord", editor) or Elohim ("God", editor).​
is a far different claim than is ...
The Masoretes ... supplied the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai ("Lord", editor) or Elohim ("God", editor).​
Again, see qere perpetual.

Ok they added the vowels not replaced

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
but it is not very accurate?
Accuracy is not the issue since the intent had nothing to do with providing the 'proper' pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton. Rather, it was to flag the qere of אֲדֹנָי (adonai) or, less often, אֱלֹהִים ('elohim).

Wherenextcolumbus

Accuracy is not the issue since the intent had nothing to do with providing the 'proper' pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton. Rather, it was to flag the qere of אֲדֹנָי (adonai) or, less often, אֱלֹהִים ('elohim).

What does flag the qere of Adonai mean?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
What does flag the qere of Adonai mean?
ketiv/qere distinguishes between what is written and what is read. From the previously quoted article ...
Often it is marked with the vowels יְהוָֹה, indicating that it is to be pronounced as אֲדֹנָי Adonai ...
Occasionally, the Tetragrammaton is marked יֱהוִֹה ... to indicate a qere of אֱלֹהִים Elohim ...
If I am reading the Torah out loud and come across the former, I will say "Adonai" and, if the latter, "Elohim". In neither case will I attempt to vocalize some pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton itself.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Don't worry about it, you and other members who post this thread remind me of myself in my first Hebrew Bible class when I was 6 year old (in Classical Biblical Hebrew). The teacher explained why we read the name of God as 'Adonai', I must have been spacing out at that point, because it took me two classes of trying to figure out why I'm the only one pronouncing and saying Yahveh or Yehovah aloud while all the other children said 'Adonai'.
I don't mean this with as an offence against members who don't dig what Jay is saying, but simply that you need to understand the Hebrew linguistics, logic and baggage behind the idea. Once you break all the scary terms in the links above, it's quite simple. Lets start from that 'Adonai' is a title of honor used in order to avoid pronouncing God's name casually and out loud. The markers on the Hebrew letters indicate how to pronounce and which word to use (whether Adonai or Elohim for example) instead of simply reading 'Yahweh' or 'Yehovah'.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Don't worry about it, you and other members who post this thread remind me of myself in my first Hebrew Bible class when I was 6 year old (in Classical Biblical Hebrew). The teacher explained why we read the name of God as 'Adonai', I must have been spacing out at that point, because it took me two classes of trying to figure out why I'm the only one pronouncing and saying Yahveh or Yehovah aloud while all the other children said 'Adonai'.
I don't mean this with as an offence against members who don't dig what Jay is saying, but simply that you need to understand the Hebrew linguistics, logic and baggage behind the idea. Once you break all the scary terms in the links above, it's quite simple. Lets start from that 'Adonai' is a title of honor used in order to avoid pronouncing God's name casually and out loud. The markers on the Hebrew letters indicate how to pronounce and which word to use (whether Adonai or Elohim for example) instead of simply reading 'Yahweh' or 'Yehovah'.

it is a title of honor, but its fairly common as a title...even people are called Adonai in the scriptures.

Sarah called her husband Abraham Adonai, the kings of Israel were addressed in the same manner. But the real question is, if the name shouldnt be pronounced, why did every bible writer think it was ok to use the name in their writings? It would seem the bible writers had a different idea because otherwise they wouldnt have written the name at all....why not just write the word 'adonai' in the first place?

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So Jehovah was invented to replace adonai? :/

(Don't judge)

no, Adonai (Lord) was intended to replace the name of God where it appeared in the scriptures.

They didnt want the name being sounded out so they replaced it with Adonai.