• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Shouldn't you go with Yahweh then since you're trying to be accurate to the original name of the Hebrew god and not to the language you speak? Why doesn't the Watchtower just use the Tetragrammaton itself, then?

because the tetragrammaton contains only consonants....which makes it unpronounceable in English.

We need vowels. The oldest and most recognizable representation of the divine name has always been Jehovah in english.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If all religion is false and Babylon The Great, then Jehovah has been adopted from false religion as it was false religion that first called יְהוָ֔ה Jehovah.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
because the tetragrammaton contains only consonants....which makes it unpronounceable in English.

We need vowels. The oldest and most recognizable representation of the divine name has always been Jehovah in english.

Yahweh is perfectly pronounceable and is a better choice if it's accuracy you're looking for.

"Jehovah" has only been around for about a 1,000 years or so.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yahweh is perfectly pronounceable and is a better choice if it's accuracy you're looking for.

"Jehovah" has only been around for about a 1,000 years or so.

still, Jehovah is the most recognizable form of the name, and considering that certainty of pronunciation is not attainable, there's no reason to change it now.

And even though hebrew scholars favor Yahweh, it is not necessarily the right pronounciation either....they are also using their best educated guesses.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
still, Jehovah is the most recognizable form of the name, and considering that certainty of pronunciation is not attainable, there's no reason to change it now.

And even though hebrew scholars favor Yahweh, it is not necessarily the right pronounciation either....they are also using their best educated guesses.

I would go with what Hebrew scholars have to say about it over anyone else. Sucks for you, though, because you'd have to change the name of your religious organization. Oops.

Wherenextcolumbus

how man seeks to honor someone may not be how God wants to be honoured.

Mankind do like their honorary titles...but Gods name is holy so why would we want to hide it? If something is holy you dont put it under the bed....you bring it out and give it the most prominent place where all can see it and praise it.

Imagine if you painted a beautiful painting and you signed your name on the bottom as artists do.... would it be alright for someone to come along and replace your personal name with something like "Great Artist" ?

We know how important personal names are to us.... is it really showing greater honor to someone if we remove their name and stop pronouncing it?

I think a human name is different from Gods name, if God wants his name to be feared, to not be said in vain, and not be desecrated, then it's easy to understand why Jews would want to protect it. That is their way of keeping it holy.
The watchtower have a history of mistakes do you think God is happy that his "name" was associated with those falsehoods?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If all religion is false and Babylon The Great, then Jehovah has been adopted from false religion as it was false religion that first called יְהוָ֔ה Jehovah.
Just out of curiosity: does anyone here pretend to know what this sentence purports to mean?

Wherenextcolumbus

excuse for not reporting child rape accusations, "we have to protect Jehovah's name" lol!
So Jews are superstitious for protecting Gods name but you have to protect Gods name from child rape victims!?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That all religion is false and part of the metaphorical Babylon the Great?

It is what the Jehovah's Witnesses teach. Yes. False religion is everyone but the JWs and it is what Babylon the Great means (according to them).

Babylon the Great is the "empire of false religion". Not a metaphor. For real.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would go with what Hebrew scholars have to say about it over anyone else. Sucks for you, though, because you'd have to change the name of your religious organization. Oops.
So much for being committed to calling God by his 'real' name. It turns out that the name "Jehovah's Witness" reflects nothing so much as anglocentric hubris. :sad:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Babylon the Great is the "empire of false religion". Not a metaphor. For real.
As for you ...
Tal Ilan's lexicon of Second Temple period names on inscriptions in Palestine (2002) includes for "Joshua" 85 examples of Hebrew Yeshua, 15 of Yehoshua, and 48 examples of Iesous in Greek inscriptions," with only one Greek variant as Iesoua. [source]
... claiming to "believe in Yehoshua" is hardly less idiosyncratic/pretentious than is claiming to be a "Jehova's Witness." :)

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
So much for being committed to calling God by his 'real' name. It turns out that the name "Jehovah's Witness" reflects nothing so much as anglocentric hubris. :sad:

The Watchtower is a bad joke. I've already made up my mind about them. It's a brainwashing cult that ruins families and can even lead to death with their stupid beliefs about blood transfusion. I despise it.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Tal Ilan's lexicon of Second Temple period names on inscriptions in Palestine (2002) includes for "Joshua" 85 examples of Hebrew Yeshua, 15 of Yehoshua, and 48 examples of Iesous in Greek inscriptions," with only one Greek variant as Iesoua.

It is my opinion Yehoshua is the most feminine sounding one. I am a female. It is the one I choose. OK?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No you didn't! You made a rare mistake. I do not believe "in" him. I believe what he alledgedly taught.
You are indeed *right. I stand corrected. (But why don't you believe Yeshu(a)?)

* ... although I'm not too sure I'd say that my mistakes are rare. :)