• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and Me (Replies welcome)

Sometimes I think a lot about my life and it's purpose... maybe a little bit too much, actually. Ever since leaving Islam over two years ago, life has been hard for me to navigate. I've tried to live as an atheist for a long time, but I just can't keep living like one. And by that, I mean living my life as if there are no rules from G-d attached. I'm used to all the rules and structured living, but now that I'm no longer muslim, it's like culture shock... and I hate it.

I've been looking for a new faith to call home since leaving Islam and I've found a few nice ones, but they've all lacked the structure I was seeking. I don't know where to go from here either, because it's not like I'm looking for the truth. If I were looking for that, I would go back to agnosticism and admit that there's no way for me to know the truth about G-d or the afterlife. But I choose to believe in G-d, so I keep pressing forward.

And currently, I've been re-evaluating my relationship with Jesus and I've found that I look at him as more of a prophet than G-d, just a regular man, or someone who is non-existent like some people will say. I guess that part of my muslim upbringing isn't going away anytime soon, but now I'm wondering if following his teachings will count for anything if I choose to do so. It's hard because I don't believe in a trinity like everyone else; I just admire the man and his teachings, and part of me looks up to Jesus as a father figure who could stand in for the parents I needed but never had the chance to really have.

I don't know, it's all mushy in my head.. I just want to feel like G-d loves me and wants me, and I'm having trouble finding that where I'm at. Christianity might be a viable option for me to choose, but I'm not sure yet... So here I am, just floating in limbo and trying to wrestle with the questions I fear I may never get the answers to.

Anyone else struggling? Or perhaps just has advice or thoughts they would like to share?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes I think a lot about my life and it's purpose... maybe a little bit too much, actually. Ever since leaving Islam over two years ago, life has been hard for me to navigate. I've tried to live as an atheist for a long time, but I just can't keep living like one. And by that, I mean living my life as if there are no rules from G-d attached. I'm used to all the rules and structured living, but now that I'm no longer muslim, it's like culture shock... and I hate it.

I've been looking for a new faith to call home since leaving Islam and I've found a few nice ones, but they've all lacked the structure I was seeking. I don't know where to go from here either, because it's not like I'm looking for the truth. If I were looking for that, I would go back to agnosticism and admit that there's no way for me to know the truth about G-d or the afterlife. But I choose to believe in G-d, so I keep pressing forward.

And currently, I've been re-evaluating my relationship with Jesus and I've found that I look at him as more of a prophet than G-d, just a regular man, or someone who is non-existent like some people will say. I guess that part of my muslim upbringing isn't going away anytime soon, but now I'm wondering if following his teachings will count for anything if I choose to do so. It's hard because I don't believe in a trinity like everyone else; I just admire the man and his teachings, and part of me looks up to Jesus as a father figure who could stand in for the parents I needed but never had the chance to really have.

I don't know, it's all mushy in my head.. I just want to feel like G-d loves me and wants me, and I'm having trouble finding that where I'm at. Christianity might be a viable option for me to choose, but I'm not sure yet... So here I am, just floating in limbo and trying to wrestle with the questions I fear I may never get the answers to.

Anyone else struggling? Or perhaps just has advice or thoughts they would like to share?

Why did you leave Islam?

Ever investigated the Baha'i Faith?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Lots of trauma and complicated reasons are why I left. :(

And everyone keeps asking me about that, but I never have looked into it. What does it teach?

The Baha'i faith like Islam and Christianity is an Abrahamic Faith with a belief in One God. Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad are seen as Manifestations of God. Baha'u'llah is seen as the latest Manifestation of God with a message that is relevant for humanity today.

Central teachings include:

One God (Who is an unknowable essence)
The oneness of humanity
That all the main religions are inspired by the One God
We are all equal in the sight of God regardless of our race, ethnicity, or gender
The harmony of science and religion
World peace is not only possible but inevitable
Democracy as a means for governing human affairs
The need for world government along with an international court, a world economy and an international language

That's probably enough for now. Needless to say, that the Baha'i Faith is a peaceful religion.

What Bahá’ís Believe | The Bahá’í Faith

The Baha'i faith like Islam and Christianity is an Abrahamic Faith with a belief in One God. Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad are seen as Manifestations of God. Baha'u'llah is seen as the latest Manifestation of God with a message that is relevant for humanity today.

Central teachings include:

One God (Who is an unknowable essence)
The oneness of humanity
That all the main religions are inspired by the One God
We are all equal in the sight of God regardless of our race, ethnicity, or gender
The harmony of science and religion
World peace is not only possible but inevitable
Democracy as a means for governing human affairs
The need for world government along with an international court, a world economy and an international language

That's probably enough for now. Needless to say, that the Baha'i Faith is a peaceful religion.

What Bahá’ís Believe | The Bahá’í Faith

Aww, that sounds like a lovely religion. I might do some reading up on it more. :) Thanks!

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Aww, that sounds like a lovely religion. I might do some reading up on it more. :) Thanks!

You are welcome.

I am from a Christian background and there are obvious differences in the way Jesus is viewed by Christians and Muslims that you highlight well. I wonder if Christianity is a step backwards as you have a belief in Jesus as God incarnate and there is a triune God rather than monotheism. The points I side with the Christians over, is that Christ was crucified and that he is more than a mere prophet.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Maybe check out Buddhism? Many traditions within Buddhism would have the structure you're looking for, and Buddhism itself doesn't care what you think about God, Gods or any lack thereof. It's a very good place to be in while you're looking at other religions, because Buddhism also doesn't care if you want to be a Buddhist and a Muslim, Buddhist and Christian, Buddhist and Hindu, Buddhist and Pagan... Buddhism is very relaxed and non-judgemental like that.

Hello SearchingForGod, Thinking about your life and its purpose is not a waste of time IMHO. As a Christian, I'm pleased to see that you have an interest in Jesus. Have no doubt that God loves you and wants you! I encourage you seek God in prayer (Jer 29:13, Jer 33:3,) Jesus says we should ask to know God (Matt 7:7-12). Jesus tells us how to get there (Matt 7:13-14); Jesus tells us what to watch for on the way (Matt 7:15-19) and Jesus tells us how to know if we've made it (Matt 7:21-23). And Jesus wraps it up by telling us the end results (Matt 7:24-27)

omega2xx

2 Chronicles 15:15 - All Judah rejoiced concerning the oath they had sworn with there whole heart and had sought Him earnestly, and He let them find Him. So the Lord gave them rest on every side.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

The struggle to find oneself is real man.