• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus christ superstar

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, it's Palm Sunday and I've just completed one of my favorite annual events - watching "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Regardless of religious affiliation, or lack thereof, I think this movie (or play, if you're lucky enough) has something to offer just about everyone.

What I love about this movie/play is that it allows the viewer to enjoy the music (great music by the way) and the story without forcing any particular theological view to the forefront. For those who believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah and the Son of God, there's nothing contradictory that I can see. Those who believe he was simply a spiritual leader of a small 1st century sect, and merely human, aren't forced to check their beliefs at the door in order to enjoy the dynamic energy of the show.

In spite of this ambiguity, serious theological matters are not skirted at all.

One thing I have always loved about this movie is it's sympathetic portrayal of Judas. It shows his torment, his sorrow, his confusion - and the actor who plays him has a voice and a demeanor so compelling it always brings tears to my eyes.

Artistically, the movie is a fascinating look inside the early 1970s "hippie movement" with it's quite justified skepticism of and distaste for organized religion and corrupt politics.

I'd love to hear feedback from others who've seen this movie or play.

jesus_christ_superstar_opt.jpeg

[youtube]dDzxn66W3uM[/youtube]
YouTube - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) (2HQ) Heaven On Their Minds (((Stereo))) {HQ} (Repost)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The opera by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Weber.....

Yeah I remember....
Brought to a religion class as I was a freshmen in an all boy catholic high school....by the teacher/priest!

We didn't have time for the whole play back...on vinyl
so I got a copy later for my own.

It proved to be a pivot point in my faith.
Not that it took my faith in a different direction.
I was already going that way and pleased to hear someone else had already gone before me.

Faith has a great deal of dogma, and I was rapidly moving away from it.
The Superstar Opera moved away from the scheme of things as taught in religion class, and jumped to speculation and redirection of perspective...
by exploring the viewpoints of gospel characters from what the Carpenter meant to them....personally.

A most excellent work.

When the movie came out, I was in college....and that's where the movie was played....on campus.
The audience was a bit put off by the high tenor of the main character.
It did seem a bit much for Carpenter to have such a high voice.

But the movie wasn't all bad.

I just prefer the play of the vinyl.

Kathryn

I'm sitting here listening to the music right now. Wow - what great lyrics.

I was sad to realize that the guy who played Judas in the movie died in 2004 of leukemia. What a voice, and what a compelling face - great actor...

carl-anderson-as-judas-iscariot.jpg

Carl Anderson

judas_carlanderson_2.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I saw Ted Neely live performing JC Superstar in my city bout 9 or so years ago. It was great and memorable to see. Luv the movie and in fact some of my favorite songs from JCS are on my itunes playlist. Definitely RIP to Carl Anderson whose abilities to act with emotion and sing are spectacular.

Good times in the day for sure of which is missed and fondly remembered during playback.

lunamoth

Will to love
Thank you for posting Heaven on Their Minds. Love that song, and I have posted it before during Holy Week here and elsewhere.

I love the music, but have never seen the play or the movie. :(

Kathryn

Oh luna, you've got to get the movie, if you can't catch the play! I think you will love it.

Carl Anderson just about stole the show from Jesus, I mean Neely. Is that just wrong?

Kidding of course, but wow, what a voice.

lunamoth

Will to love
Oh luna, you've got to get the movie, if you can't catch the play! I think you will love it.

Carl Anderson just about stole the show from Jesus, I mean Neely. Is that just wrong?

Kidding of course, but wow, what a voice.
My understanding was that Judas was supposed to be the main character in that play/movie.

I will have to watch it - maybe this week.

Game of Thrones is starting tonight - need to find my announcement thread about it!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, it's Palm Sunday and I've just completed one of my favorite annual events - watching "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Regardless of religious affiliation, or lack thereof, I think this movie (or play, if you're lucky enough) has something to offer just about everyone.

What I love about this movie/play is that it allows the viewer to enjoy the music (great music by the way) and the story without forcing any particular theological view to the forefront. For those who believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah and the Son of God, there's nothing contradictory that I can see. Those who believe he was simply a spiritual leader of a small 1st century sect, and merely human, aren't forced to check their beliefs at the door in order to enjoy the dynamic energy of the show.

In spite of this ambiguity, serious theological matters are not skirted at all.

One thing I have always loved about this movie is it's sympathetic portrayal of Judas. It shows his torment, his sorrow, his confusion - and the actor who plays him has a voice and a demeanor so compelling it always brings tears to my eyes.

Artistically, the movie is a fascinating look inside the early 1970s "hippie movement" with it's quite justified skepticism of and distaste for organized religion and corrupt politics.

I'd love to hear feedback from others who've seen this movie or play.
I loved Jesus Christ Superstar. I saw the movie back years ago when it first came out and then saw the revival on Broadway in 2000. I know that a lot of LDS people wouldn't see it. They considered it to be a sacriligious portrayal of a sacred subject. To me, it was interesting primarily because it showed me a different perspective of Jesus' last week than members of my Church normally stop to consider. It's kind of hard for me to explain, but every time I see it (I also watch every few years on DVD), I can't help but notice now the people who were closest to Jesus (Mary Magdalene and the Apostles) were portrayed as really not understanding who He actually was. Most movie depictions of His life don't really show the events from that week from the perspective of these central figures in the drama. We normally see a depiction of His suffering, but we don't see His closest friends' reactions like we do in this particular movie. I really like that about it. It also goes without saying that the music is incredible. I love Andrew Llyoyd-Webber.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that He was shown as being more or less on the same level as so many of the founders of the world's other religious leaders (at least in one song). That kind of bugged me since that goes against my personal belief of who He is. But overall, I love it. :yes:

Kathryn

You're right, Katzpur, there are a few things about the movie/show which don't line up with my theological beliefs as well. The Last Supper scene, for example, when Jesus says to his disciples "For all you care, this could be my body. For all you care, this could be my blood."

But I also really enjoy the perspective of His closest friends as well. This seems to me to be a very believeable scenario.

Kathryn

Great show - I'd love to see it live. Maybe I'll get the chance someday.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Great show - I'd love to see it live. Maybe I'll get the chance someday.
When I saw it on Broadway in 2000, I took my 20-year-old totally non-religious son with me (it was kind of a bribe). He'd seen the movie so he knew what to expect and he also knew I loved it. During intermission, he said, "I don't understand why you like this so much, mom. Don't you think it's kind of blasphemous?" :D

Kathryn

Yep, my mom thinks it's blasphemous - but I think it's human and provocative and artistic and brutally honest when it comes to exploring various reactions and opinions of Jesus, his followers, and the basically inevitable misuse of power by politicians and some leaders of organized religion.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I remember when the first London stage production came out in 1971.( the Broadway production came out first soon after the first recording) at that time religion was pretty much in the air ... The London Billy Graham missions were still of recent memory.

It was very much a follow on from Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical with lyrics by Tim Rice. Part of which was first performed at their school in 1968.
To day Lord Webber has various productions running continuously through out the world

no-body

This is the best thing Andrew LLoyd Webber has ever done. Don't care much for the movie as much as the original cd with Ian Gillan.

Thought it is spooky how they intended to end the movie with the shot of an empty crucifix and a Sheppard just happened to wander into the scene leading his flock at the moment they where filming.

Also it was funny how Pilate and Judas where the more interesting characters and had the better songs.

Kathryn

I don't think it was FUNNY how Pilate and Judas had the "better" songs - I think the production means to lend some empathy to those characters - empathy that I personally find quite appropriate.

Judas is a very enigmatic character, and I've always felt that Pilate gets more heat than he probably deserves!

The story about the shepherd in the final scene IS fascinating.