• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was Asian

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
So I was watching a video on YouTube by some guy called "The Friendly Atheist" about an article posted by Christianity Today, and I thought the response many Christians had to the article was interesting

I went online to see if I could read more responses on Twitter concerning the subject, but unfortunately I have to sign up to see comments and I'm loathe to participate in most forms of social media, so no thanks

Instead, I found some articles the subject, so I'll be referencing that here. Here's one from Fox:

Christianity Today published a story entitled, "How Asian Artists Picture Jesus’ Birth From 1240 to Today," in which writer Victoria Emily Jones argued "Jesus was born in Asia. He was Asian."

The photo essay featured nine pieces of artwork from Asian cultures depicting the Nativity. Jones claimed that by representing Jesus as Asian, Christian artists could portray a deeper "theological meaning" of "the universality of Christ’s birth."

"Some may object to depicting Jesus as anything other than a brown male born into a Jewish family in Bethlehem of Judea in the first century, believing that doing so undermines his historicity. But Christian artists who tackle the subject of the Incarnation are often aiming not at historical realism but at theological meaning," Jones wrote.

So apparently the article was more about how Jesus was depicted in the east since all we see are depictions of how Jesus was historically portrayed in the west. After all, Jesus was born in Asia, no?

Still, this concept got a LOT of blowback from more popular Christians in the west, with some saying things such as:

Christian blogger Samuel Sey shot back, "Blasphemy. Jesus is a Jew."

Blasphemy? That's a pretty vitriolic response to Jesus being Asian

Managing editor for Christian satire news site The Babylon Bee, Joel Berry, joked, "Next can you please do an article with a bunch of AI images of Jesus if He were Rosa Parks."

Oof... A weird take. I don't really care for conservative "comedy," but that's a thread for a different day. Anyways, so the guy thinks this is some kind of leftist political thingy? I dunno

Then there's Franklin Graham's (Billy Graham's son) response to the prospect that Jesus was Asian as seen on a different article, here:

"We don’t have to wonder or speculate about this — the Bible gives us very specific details about Jesus’ earthly lineage and where He was born and grew up," Graham wrote. "We know that Jesus was Jewish. However, if you don’t believe the Bible or accept it as the Word of God, then everything is in question."

"Guess what — we don’t get to make God in our own image," Graham added. "He is Who He is! We must be on guard against anything or anyone who attempts to undermine the authority of the Word of God."

More geographical ignorance, but what's more interesting is that there's more of that vitriol. "Guess what - we don't get to make god in our own image." I don't see him saying anything in regards to people depicting Jesus as a white, blue eyed European even though that is WAY more common of a way to depict Jesus. I wonder why that is?

The article continues:

CT took flak from many others on social media for the article, which prompted some to accuse the publication of "going woke."

Interesting that people are so repulsed by things like this. What does "going woke" even mean anymore?

Anyways, if anyone wants to take the time to do so, the comments section in both articles make an interesting read. Just... A warning before you read anything on the Fox comments section - it's a nasty, toxic place no matter what the article is about

The original Christianity Today article:

Thoughts?

Alekdar

Hey hey!
I personally i have no problem believing a guy was called (after translation) Jesus, that was the son of a deity and violated the known rules of nature that's kinda hard for me.
Surely hi's grandparents may have come from the east, i would have no problem with that, i don't know why anyone would, way more likely than caucasian and blonde :D
Cheers!

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So I was watching a video on YouTube by some guy called "The Friendly Atheist" about an article posted by Christianity Today, and I thought the response many Christians had to the article was interesting

I went online to see if I could read more responses on Twitter concerning the subject, but unfortunately I have to sign up to see comments and I'm loathe to participate in most forms of social media, so no thanks

Instead, I found some articles the subject, so I'll be referencing that here. Here's one from Fox:

Christianity Today published a story entitled, "How Asian Artists Picture Jesus’ Birth From 1240 to Today," in which writer Victoria Emily Jones argued "Jesus was born in Asia. He was Asian."

The photo essay featured nine pieces of artwork from Asian cultures depicting the Nativity. Jones claimed that by representing Jesus as Asian, Christian artists could portray a deeper "theological meaning" of "the universality of Christ’s birth."

"Some may object to depicting Jesus as anything other than a brown male born into a Jewish family in Bethlehem of Judea in the first century, believing that doing so undermines his historicity. But Christian artists who tackle the subject of the Incarnation are often aiming not at historical realism but at theological meaning," Jones wrote.

So apparently the article was more about how Jesus was depicted in the east since all we see are depictions of how Jesus was historically portrayed in the west. After all, Jesus was born in Asia, no?

Still, this concept got a LOT of blowback from more popular Christians in the west, with some saying things such as:

Managing editor for Christian satire news site The Babylon Bee, Joel Berry, joked, "Next can you please do an article with a bunch of AI images of Jesus if He were Rosa Parks."

Oof... A weird take. I don't really care for conservative "comedy," but that's a thread for a different day. Anyways, so the guy thinks this is some kind of leftist political thingy? I dunno

Then there's Franklin Graham's (Billy Graham's son) response to the prospect that Jesus was Asian as seen on a different article, here:

"We don’t have to wonder or speculate about this — the Bible gives us very specific details about Jesus’ earthly lineage and where He was born and grew up," Graham wrote. "We know that Jesus was Jewish. However, if you don’t believe the Bible or accept it as the Word of God, then everything is in question."

"Guess what — we don’t get to make God in our own image," Graham added. "He is Who He is! We must be on guard against anything or anyone who attempts to undermine the authority of the Word of God."

More geographical ignorance, but what's more interesting is that there's more of that vitriol. "Guess what - we don't get to make god in our own image." I don't see him saying anything in regards to people depicting Jesus as a white, blue eyed European even though that is WAY more common of a way to depict Jesus. I wonder why that is?

The article continues:

CT took flak from many others on social media for the article, which prompted some to accuse the publication of "going woke."

Interesting that people are so repulsed by things like this. What does "going woke" even mean anymore?

Anyways, if anyone wants to take the time to do so, the comments section in both articles make an interesting read. Just... A warning before you read anything on the Fox comments section - it's a nasty, toxic place no matter what the article is about

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone can really say for certain, although considering where Jesus was born, I figure his race and characteristics would reflect that of those in the region.

Of course, there are those who would say that Jesus was an American - and that he fought with George Washington against the Germans when they bombed Pearl Harbor. But a lot of people seem rather confused.

Jesus looked like this:
A-Khx3TCAAIQdf6.jpg

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I don't think anyone can really say for certain, although considering where Jesus was born, I figure his race and characteristics would reflect that of those in the region.

Of course, there are those who would say that Jesus was an American - and that he fought with George Washington against the Germans when they bombed Pearl Harbor. But a lot of people seem rather confused.

I think when western folks tend to think of someone who is "Asian," they tend to think of someone who looks like this:

Henry_Cao-Web.jpg

But the thing is that Asia is an entire continent, not a country, so it can also include a diverse range of people. This includes folks from the middle east

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think when western folks tend to think of someone who is "Asian," they tend to think of someone who looks like this:

Henry_Cao-Web.jpg

But the thing is that Asia is an entire continent, not a country, so it can also include a diverse range of people. This includes folks from the middle east

I've heard some people use distinctions like "East Asian" to distinguish them from "South Asian" or "West Asian."

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I've heard some people use distinctions like "East Asian" to distinguish them from "South Asian" or "West Asian."

I've done that myself, honestly. With a continent as diverse as Asia is, it's kind of necessary at times. "Middle East" paints a much different mental image than "East Asia." What gets confusing is when you have a country like Russia which is in both Europe and Asia

It's not a feature unique to Asia, though. "Scandinavia" paints a very different picture to "The Balkans," but both regions are still European

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Has anyone had the idea to ask the critics to locate Israel on a map?

Eh... I don't think it would do any good, honestly. Geography isn't a strong suit among most Americans - myself included

Shaul

Premium Member
Since Jesus spent his childhood in Africa in Egypt we could call him Asian-African if that helps.

InChrist

Free4ever

The article continues:

Thoughts?
My thoughts; Jesus was Jewish.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've done that myself, honestly. With a continent as diverse as Asia is, it's kind of necessary at times. "Middle East" paints a much different mental image than "East Asia." What gets confusing is when you have a country like Russia which is in both Europe and Asia

It's not a feature unique to Asia, though. "Scandinavia" paints a very different picture to "The Balkans," but both regions are still European

Just as a side note, this topic got me curious, so I started looking at various images of Jesus, particularly versions of "American Jesus," which seem to be quite popular. However, I also found this portrait of a Native American Jesus.

nativeamericanjesus.jpg

Shaul

Premium Member
I never said He stopped being Jewish, although I’m not sure how applicable that is in the eternal state.
I asked because you wrote that he was Jewish, in the past tense. Instead of Jesus is Jewish in the present tense.

Shaul

Premium Member
Err... He did? Maybe I missed that part in the Bible. Where does it say that again?
In the book of Matthew it states that he was taken to Egypt to escape being killed and called back after Herod was dead. See Matthew chapter 2:13-15 and 2:19-21.

InChrist

Free4ever
I asked because you wrote that he was Jewish, in the past tense. Instead of Jesus is Jewish in the present tense.
I wrote “was” because Jesus is not physically on the earth, but in the eternal state in an exalted, resurrected body at present. That doesn’t negate the fact that I believe His Jewishness is always a part of His Identity and Being. And the scriptures do indicate that…
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:27-28