• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job2:1-2

Dunemeister

The phrase "sons of God" refers to the "heavenly court," i.e., angelic beings. Pace trusue, the text does not make any distinction between "the accuser" and the other angelic beings; that is, in this story he takes his place among the other sons of God. Nothing is implied about whether he belongs there or not. (If he didn't belong there, why was he there?)

It's fine to say this happened "in heaven" if we are not too "physical" in our understanding of it. That's to say, "heaven" isn't a "place" as such. Rather, it is God's "sphere". Heaven is simply that state in which God's will is done. "Earth" is our sphere, where our will is done, the world that we inhabit. "Earth" is a place; "heaven" is not. This is the picture behind the Christian prayer that "God's will be done on earth as in heaven." God's will is done in heaven, and we pray that it would also be so on earth.

Bick

This account in Job is the assembly in heaven of the spirit sons, or angels before Jehovah God.
Satan was also an angel of God, but was not in that congregation, so he proceeded to enter with the sons of God.

Satan brought the charge against God to his face, that the only reason men on earth serve God, and are loyal to righteousness is because of the blessings and all the good things God gives them. Especially Job, the man who had everything and loved God more than his own life.

(Job
2:3) . . .“Have you set your heart upon my servant Job, that there is no one like him in the earth, a man blameless and upright, fearing God and turning aside from bad?.​

My Comments: I disagree that Satan is an "angel." "Angel" is from the Greek--"aggelos" meaning "messenger." Its true that Satan is said, in Revelation, to have a third of the angels on his side. He is identified in Rev. 12:9 as "the great dragon, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan." KJV. He is never called "the angel Satan."

He is a created spirit being, the Adversary, Satan. There are other spirit beings in the heaveny places not called angels. They are called "principalities and powers" KJV.

Bick

Who are "the sons of God"?
Is this taking place on earth or in Heaven?

I agree with Trusue, they are created spirit beings called "sons of God." I guess they could be "angels" but it doesn't say.

While the account could be a metaphor, I take it as actually being in the heaven of God.