• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 16 prophecy for Muhammed?

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
John 16

1 “All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”

Is this a prophecy for the holy spirit, Muhammed or some other person altogether? Also what reason do you have for your answer? Discuss

I believe that it's vague enough that it can be utilised to mean anything, whether a personage or a doctrine, or a truth.

I believe personally that it could be a hidden reference to the Prophet Muhammad, since I do believe in him. However, I do not look too much into it. :)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
seems legit :D
I have heard claims and arguments that it was predicting Elvis, the Pope, the Beatles, Ozzy Ozborne, and a slew of other people, including, but not limited to, JFK, GWBush, Khadafi, Hussein, Mother Teresa, Santa Clause, and even a few people who claim that that said "prophecy" has not yet been fulfilled.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
It has been said that Muhammed was prophesised as the "comforter" but did he bring much comfort to the ME or the 900 Jews he executed,it is also said he was in the song of Solomon/Shlomo,did he have red hair?,the problem with prophesy is it allows for great movements of goalposts which can be seen with Nostradamus and his predictions,personally i find it too vague.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Its about the Holy Spirit.

From John 14

[13] Because I go to the Father: and whatsoever you shall ask the Father in my name, that will I do: that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] If you shall ask me any thing in my name, that I will do. [15] If you love me, keep my commandments.

[16] And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever. [17] The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you. [18] I will not leave you orphans, I will come to you. [19] Yet a little while: and the world seeth me no more. But you see me: because I live, and you shall live. [20] In that day you shall know, that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.....

[25] These things have I spoken to you, abiding with you.

[26] But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you. [27] Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, do I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid.

Then from Acts, where they receive the Holy Spirit.
[1] And when the days of the Pentecost were accomplished, they were all together in one place: [2] And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a mighty wind coming, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. [3] And there appeared to them parted tongues as it were of fire, and it sat upon every one of them: [4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they began to speak with divers tongues, according as the Holy Ghost gave them to speak.

e2ekiel

two things I'll quickly point out why the Bible, and inparticular John16 doesn't point to Muhammed

John 16
7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

Muhammed doesn't speak on behalf of the man to God

John 16
14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

Muhammed doesn't glorify Jesus, instead Islam believes Jesus is just a prophet. The Bible tells that Jesus is God.

The NT doesn't point to any new or greater prophet with a new message to add to Jesus

two things I'll quickly point out why the Bible, and inparticular John16 doesn't point to Muhammed

Muhammed doesn't speak on behalf of the man to God

Muhammed doesn't glorify Jesus, instead Islam believes Jesus is just a prophet. The Bible tells that Jesus is God.

The NT doesn't point to any new or greater prophet with a new message to add to Jesus

Yes, Muhammad does speak God's revelation to Mankind.

God Himself says in the Qur'an, to follow the Messenger.

Jesus himself never stated that He was God. Jesus' divinity is highly contested, even now.

And your argument is the same way in that the Jews rejected Jesus.

Villager

Is this a prophecy for the holy spirit, Muhammed or some other person altogether?
"Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

So Jesus went away, but the Advocate did not arrive until 600 years later? Is that Allah, the Wise, the Merciful?

Perhaps Muhammad is prophesied here:

'"Many false prophets will appear and deceive many people."' Mt 24:11-12 NIV

'"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"' Mt 7:15-17 NIV

'Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.' Col 2:20-23 NIV

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
John 16
7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; ...
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

Is this a prophecy for the holy spirit, Muhammed or some other person altogether? Also what reason do you have for your answer? Discuss

the prophecy is about the Holy spirit. Jesus promised that God would send the Holy Spirit to the disciples to teach them and to assist them in the work they would have to accomplish in preaching the name of Jesus among the nations.

That promise came true on the day of Pentecost, 10 days after Jesus ascended to heaven as recorded in the book of Acts:

Acts 2:1 Now while the day of the [festival of] Pentecost was in progress they were all together at the same place, 2 and suddenly there occurred from heaven a noise just like that of a rushing stiff breeze, and it filled the whole house in which they were sitting. 3 And tongues as if of fire became visible to them and were distributed about, and one sat upon each one of them, 4 and they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different tongues, just as the spirit was granting them to make utterance.

Peter spoke to a crowd about what was happening to the disciples, Peter explained:
14 But Peter stood up with the eleven and raised his voice and made this utterance to them: “Men of Ju‧de′a and all YOU inhabitants of Jerusalem, let this be known to YOU and give ear to my sayings. 15 These [people] are, in fact, not drunk, as YOU suppose, for it is the third hour of the day. 16 On the contrary, this is what was said through the prophet Joel, 17 ‘“And in the last days,” God says, “I shall pour out some of my spirit upon every sort of flesh, and YOUR sons and YOUR daughters will prophesy and YOUR young men will see visions and YOUR old men will dream dreams; 18 and even upon my men slaves and upon my women slaves I will pour out some of my spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. 19 And I will give portents in heaven above and signs on earth below, blood and fire and smoke mist; 20 the sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the great and illustrious day of Jehovah arrives. 21 And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”

The holy spirit gave the disciples, both men and women, the ability to prophesy, to teach and the power to perform miracles.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
"Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you."

So Jesus went away, but the Advocate did not arrive until 600 years later? Is that Allah, the Wise, the Merciful?
roflmao.

How long has it been since Jesus resurrection?
But you would imply that 600 years is a long time for God?

Perhaps you can refresh my memory....
I seem to remember something about days being unto a thousand years for god.

I seem to have found it:
2 Peter 3:8

8But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Villager

How long has it been since Jesus resurrection?

Why such an irrelevant question? The relevant question is:

Q. How long was it between Jesus' resurrection and the coming of the Holy Spirit?

A. Not long!

Villager

God Himself says in the Qur'an, to follow the Messenger.

Muhammad said in the Qur'an to follow Muhammad.

"I know he is a great and good man. He told me so himself." W.S. Gilbert, humorist

BruceDLimber

This verse can in fact apply to any future Divine Messenger, but in the Baha'i view it applies especially to Baha'u'llah, Who fulfilled the prophecies about the Return of the Christ Spirit in the mid-Nineteenth Century.

Best! :)

Bruce

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This verse can in fact apply to any future Divine Messenger, but in the Baha'i view it applies especially to Baha'u'llah, Who fulfilled the prophecies about the Return of the Christ Spirit in the mid-Nineteenth Century.
So, in essence, the passage can be applied to any person a group of people decide it fits? :flirt:

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
So, in essence, the passage can be applied to any person a group of people decide it fits? :flirt:

well as the word only means comforter, yes xD. Seems that it's usually referred to as the holy spirit though