• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Join in the review of the Principles and Purposes!

Davidium

UU's and other Religious Liberals, please read this article, and then join in the discussion!
UUA commission, trustees announce review of central covenant between congregations; mandated review is overdue.
By Donald E. Skinner

Whether you find deep meaning in them or consider them unnecessarily bland, an opportunity is coming to consider changes in the Principles and Sources of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations.

Article II of the UUA bylaws contains the covenant of the congregations that make up the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations. It includes the seven Principles and the six Sources, as well as the Purposes that set forth the Association’s mission. Article XV mandates that Article II be reviewed not less than every 15 years.
The Principles and Sources may seem immutable, but they have been changed twice since the original UUA Principles were created in 1960 during the consolidation of the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America. The original language—six Principles, with no Sources cited—was overhauled as the result of a review in the early 1980s, and the seventh Principle (affirming the interdependent web of all existence) and five Sources were added at that time. The sixth Source (earth-centered traditions) was added in 1995.

The new review will be conducted by the Commission on Appraisal, whose nine members are elected by General Assembly delegates, making it independent of both the UUA administration and the Board of Trustees. The Board invited the Commission to take on this task, and the Board and Commission announced the planned review April 13. The process will begin April 22 at an Ohio-Meadville District meeting in Columbus, Ohio. The Commission had already arranged to be at the district meeting as part of its effort to meet regularly with UUs around the country before announcing its review.

Commission chair James Casebolt said the commission will use the meeting not to discuss changes in wording but to begin developing a procedure for reviewing Article II. “We want to hear from people about how they think we should go about this,” he said. “Given the emotional attachment to these texts, we feel a need to be deliberate about the process.”

Ideas for changes will be solicited at workshops at General Assembly in June in St. Louis. The review process is expected to take several years, Casebolt said, and will include ways for congregations to offer their thoughts after working through their understanding of the Principles, Sources, and Purposes.

He cautioned that just because a review is undertaken does not mean changes will be made. “Review doesn’t necessarily mean rewrite,” said Casebolt, who lives in St. Clairsville, Ohio. “The only reason this is happening is because the bylaws say it’s time to do it, and it’s required that this be done.”

The Commission is charged to “review any function or activity of the Association which in its judgment will benefit from an independent review and report its conclusions to a regular General Assembly.” The Commission meets four times a year—once at General Assembly and in three working meetings held in Boston and other locations around the continent.

Casebolt said the Commission is the logical group to take on the review because its previous report, on theological diversity within the UUA, included some reflection on the Principles and Sources. That report, Engaging Our Theological Diversity, was presented at the 2005 General Assembly in Fort Worth, Texas.

UUA Moderator Gini Courter said one reason the Board felt comfortable with the Commission conducting the review is that delegates from the congregations pick its members at General Assembly. “This is not the Board of Trustees hand-picking individuals to do this,” she said. “I hope that congregations will participate and take this review seriously. This could be a good practice of renewal for us to talk about what it is we believe—a way to articulate our faith. I hope this becomes an extension of conversations that I come across everywhere, of people interested in talking about what they believe. This is what we’re supposed to be doing, talking about who we are and what we believe.”

UUA President William G. Sinkford said, “I’m delighted the COA has decided to take this on. This will be a very challenging task, but the COA did a lot of groundwork for this in its last report and the members have the skill to do this.”
Sinkford said that in his visits with congregations the Principles come up frequently. “They represent the place most people go when they’re asked to explain Unitarian Universalism,” he said. “For that reason, I hope the Commission takes a look at the language and involves the congregations in conversations about what is the mission and vision we’re trying to live out in those words.”

When Article II was reviewed in the early 1980s, significant changes included recasting the original Principles in gender-neutral language and adding the Purposes and seventh Principle. GA delegates gave preliminary approval to the changes in 1984 and final approval in 1985. The process took from 1981 to 1985, although discussions of eliminating sexist language had begun in the 1970s.

The Rev. Walter Royal Jones, chair of the 1980s review panel, said he continues to be satisfied with the Principles and Sources that his group drafted, “although a case might be made for some rethinking and reshaping.” When asked if there is one thing he would add now, he responded: “The condition we never spelled out is that we, as Unitarian Universalists, believe that none of the historic religious traditions has the full truth, but many religions have valid insights. We often say that today as a way of explaining who we are, but it’s not part of the Principles. Maybe it’s time to write that into them.”

Jones, who is retired and lives in Fort Collins, Colo., said the revision process worked well in the 1980s because “when we sat down we knew we had different points of view. We didn’t lecture to each other, we listened. And we didn’t do it alone. Congregations from all over were involved, and we had very adequate staff assistance. Without each of those parts the whole activity would have been meaningless.”
If the Commission recommends changes when its review is completed, they will not take effect unless approved by delegates to two consecutive General Assemblies. Preliminary approval requires a simple majority and final adoption requires a two-thirds vote. The requirement to periodically review Article II is in Article XV, Section C-15.1.

This is just one of the reasons why I am a UU... That such a major project is conducted in the open and through the membership and congregations, not through the leadership or ministers alone.

I am one of those who would like to see a few revisions. I know that I will have the opportunity over the next two years to meet with members of the Commission on Apprasial... because I am loud and vocal and because the commission will most likely conduct at least one workshop among students at my seminary.

So, I am starting this thread here at RF, so that we can begin this discussion. That way, I have a better idea of what you all think when I get the opportunity to meet with members of the commission. It will also give me a thread to point Commission members to so that they can read a discussion on the principles

For an article on the history of the principles and purposes, click on the link below...

http://www.uuworld.org/ideas/articles/howtheuuprinciplespurposeswereadopted3643.shtml

I look forward to this discussion... in the next post I will place the current edition of the Principles and purposes... and then I will start the discussion.

Yours in Faith,

David

Davidium

Unitarian Universalist Association Principles and Purposes
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:
  • Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
  • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
  • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
  • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.

[SIZE=+1]The Purposes of the Unitarian Universalist Association[/SIZE]
The Unitarian Universalist Association shall devote its resources to and exercise its corporate powers for religious, educational and humanitarian purposes. The primary purpose of the Association is to serve the needs of its member congregations, organize new congregations, extend and strengthen Unitarian Universalist institutions and implement its principles.

The Association declares and affirms its special responsibility, and that of its member societies and organizations, to promote the full participation of persons in all of its and their activities and in the full range of human endeavor without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, age, or national origin and without requiring adherence to any particular interpretation of religion or to any particular religious belief or creed.

Nothing herein shall be deemed to infringe upon the individual freedom of belief which is inherent in the Universalist and Unitarian heritages or to conflict with any statement of purpose, covenant, or bond of union used by any society unless such is used as a creedal test.

So, what are your thoughts?

I look forward to the discussion!

Yours in Faith,

David

Davidium

I will begin with the reservation I have with the first principle, which I know I have discussed here at RF before, and that is that, for myself, I have added a few words...

You see, I believe that each and every one of us is born with the same inherent worth and dignity... but some human beings can, through the horrific choices they make in their lives, surrender part of that inherent worth.

I believe in evil, but evil can only occur in the choices we make, in the paths we choose. In my own experience, I often use the example of Slobodan Milosovic. Milosovic was born with the same inherent worth and dignity as everyone else in this world... but when he chose to promote and order the genocide of Muslims within Bosnia and Serbia, I beleive he surrendered part of his inherent worth and dignity... he accepted evil into his soul, to use more traditional language.

He did not have to choose that path, he did so as a tool to insure his own power. And so, when he died in his cell of a heart attack, I did not mourn his loss.

In Sudan, the leaders of the government sponsored militia that have slaughtered tens of thousands of unarmed civilians in an act of genocide have also, I believe, choosen to surrender much of their inherent worth and dignity.

Now, I do not support the Death Penalty, but for the reason that I do not want to lessen my own inherent worth and dignity by being responsible for their death. But neither will I cry aligator tears for the lives of some who I beleive have surrendered part of theirs.

I know, alot of UU's will not like my position on this, but I will just stand behind another principle... the right of conscience.

Yours in Faith,

David

Runt

I love the fact that we do not take our Principles and Purposes to be immutable; that our religion is allowed to grow in response to the times we live in. I personally would remove the third Principle, or at least edit it. It seems a bit.... fluffy.... like something that doesn't need to be stated. Or if it does need to need to be stated, it needs to be discussed in a world context, rather than just in relation to our own congregations.

Davidium

The third principle...

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

I had never thought of that... I see what you mean! :) Perhaps add to it the phrase "and within the world".

Yours in Faith,

David

Chattan

Great Discussion.

This is why I am proud to be a Unitarian. I am amazed that we are able to question our own principles and in the process we can continue to evolve and grow.

I have been observing the United Methodists (my wife is one) and they are in a stuggle over what their principles are. They fight over issues that Unitarians resolved long ago. The real problem is that they do not allow a democratic process to guide them but instead have a hiearachy that does it for them.

The fact that we can enter into a democratic process in our review is what makes us truly unique. I have to say that I have not seen another group use such a process.

I agree with what David stated in regards to inherent dignity and self-worth (and the other stuff as well). We have it and it is up to us to keep and utilize it properly. At the same time I worry the addition may make take away from the simple yet profound nature of the principle. So, my question is how would you put that into the principle?

I understand how you can see the third principle as fluffy but I think that we must remember that they are not only for us but for those that want to understand what being a Unitarian is all about. The principles are part of the reason why I began investigating UUism. However, a minor change would not hurt as the third principle does not role easily off the tongue.

I would like to add in three ways:

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement of spiritual growth within our congregations;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part;
  • Belief in the sacred as defined by the individual.

and

The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:
  • Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
  • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
  • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
  • Deist and Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
  • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

The last one is personal but what are you gonna do.

Joe

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I look forward to contributing to this discussion as well, but not until next week when I have more time to devote to this. Thanks David for starting this!

Runt

The third principle...

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

I had never thought of that... I see what you mean! :) Perhaps add to it the phrase "and within the world".
YES! Oddly, the addition of those four words would erase any qualms I have with the 3rd Principle.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Real quick here, one thing I would change:

• Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

I would flip-flop the last two to read:

• With the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.
It just makes more sense to have our stated goal at the end and gives it more force, I believe. The point to which all the other priniciples are leading up to.

I kind of wonder if the search for truth should be included amongst the principles because it presupposes that a) there is an objective truth and that b) the truth is ultimately good and should be adhered to. It's one of those things that sounds good, but that I think might presume a little too much given the diversity of thought within UU congergations.

Davidium

The principles talk about the "Search" for truth...

It says nothing about finding it.... :)

Yours in Faith,

David

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Methinks I must be a fundamentalist UU. :p When I first heard of the plan to revise our 7 principles I was horrified. Yes, I know that it's in our bylaws but I've personally invested so much into these principles and I know that others have too. They are one of the very few things that we have as Unitarian Universalists (and not just Unitarians and Universalists). I am particularly concerned that the motivation for change now may be this movement towards greater religious language.

This is the email that I sent to the Commission on Appraisal:

Hello all,

It is my understanding that you are taking responses from UUs regarding possible changes to our seven principles. Hopefully my input does not come too late.

I understand that it is in our bylaws that our principles should be revised every few years and that we are behind schedule on that, and that you guys are just doing what you've been tasked to do. I understand that the reason why we re-examine our principles on an on-going basis is because ours is a living faith that believes that "revelation" is on-going. I also know that one of the primary criticisms against our seven principles is that it doesn't "sound religious enough."

All this acknowledged, I wish to advise/plead that the committee be extremely conservative regarding any proposed changes.

In order to thrive a religion must be have two things that are often at odds with each other. It needs to remain adaptable enough to be relevant to our times and it also needs to be able to point to a tradition, something upon which our truth claims are founded. UU is great on the former and not so great on the latter.

Whatever their original intent, when the Unitarians and the Universalists joined forces in 1961 the joining did become a merger. An emerging UU identity began that is only 45 years old. As UUs, we have so little to point to as a basis for our collective heritage/identity. The 7 principles are basically it. I think that's why they're so cherished even if they aren't perfect. While some criticize our principles as "too secular" I know at least as many who do cherish them. UUs, particularly the new "converts," long for something that they can point to and say "This is the basis of my faith." I can point you to sermons based on them - all 7, not just 1 and 7 - and online discussions about them. I myself have facitliated an adult RE course centered around the 7 principles and was deeply moved by how committed to these principles our participants were. People, including myself, wrestled with each principle and how we can more fully live them in our lives. I realize that the principles are not set in stone, nor should they be, but when we're talking about something that forms the basis of people's faith, changing it could be immensely disorienting.

As to the criticism that our princples aren't "religious" enough:

1) One of the hallmarks of religion is that it is steeped in tradition. Changing the wording of our principles to make them sound more religious could undermine their religous authority rather than increase it.

2) Unitarian Universalism is a new kind of religion, one based on our shared ideals, not shared ideas. We are a religion of covenent, not of creed. We will never be able to make the same particularized faith claims that are typical of other religions. As such, no matter how we present or reformulate our principles they will always seem more secular, less traditionally "religious." It isn't our 7 principles that need to be revised but how we view religion.

I hope you'll take these concerns into consideration and thank you for your work on our behalf.

uumckk16

I agree with Maize :)

lilithu said:
I can point you to sermons based on them - all 7, not just 1 and 7 - and online discussions about them.
Out of curiousity, and if you have time, do you have any direct links to such sermons? If not I'm sure I could find some on my own, I'm just being lazy tonight :eek:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
uumckk16 said:
I agree with Maize :)

Out of curiousity, and if you have time, do you have any direct links to such sermons? If not I'm sure I could find some on my own, I'm just being lazy tonight :eek:
Namaste, uumckk. :)

The easiest thing to do is to point you to the course syllabus for the ASD class that I co-facilitated with a dear friend of mine at church. It was given last winter but due to my own laziness is still online.

http://www.wizdum.net/uu/asd/7princ-readings.html

That page has links to some of the sermons to which I was refering. And from those links you should be able to find the other sermons that were given on the 7 principles from that same minister. For example, we linked to a sermons on "Justice, Equity and Compassion" (our second principle) by Rev. Ricky Hoyt. From his site, you should be able to find all seven of his sermons on the principles. I'd also highly reccomend the book that we used for the course as a good intro to the principles. It's a short read.

Also, my co-facilitator gave a sermon on marriage equality several months back and she cited every one of the seven principles in support of marriage equality. It is an example of how we've reflected on each of the principles and how they are expressed in our lives.

http://www.wizdum.net/uu/sermons/kmorgan_marriageq.html

Hope this helps. :)

uu_sage

My favorite suggestions for revising or taking another look at the Principles would be the original principles from the '61 merger (as follows) From this list the only thing needing revising is to have inclusive language.
In accordance with these corporate purposes, the members of the Unitarian Universalist Association, dedicated to the principles of a free faith, unite in seeking:

1. To strengthen one another in a free and disciplined search for truth as the foundation of our religious fellowship;
2. To cherish and spread the universal truths taught by the great prophets and teachers of humanity in every age and tradition, immemorially summarized in the Judeo-Christian heritage as love to God and love to man;
3. To affirm, defend and promote the supreme worth of every human personality, the dignity of man, and the use of the democratic method in human relationships;
4. To implement our vision of one world by striving for a world community founded on ideals of brotherhood, justice and peace;
5. To serve the needs of member churches and fellowships, to organize new churches and fellowships, and to extend and strengthen liberal religion;
6. To encourage cooperation with men of good will in every land.

or my other favorite is the Universalist Declaration of Faith (1935 and 1953)
We avow our faith in
God as eternal and all-conquering love;
the spiritual leadership of Jesus;
the supreme worth of every human personality;
the authority of truth, known or to be known; and
the power of persons of good will and sacrificial spirit to overcome
all evil and progressively establish the kingdom of God.
Neither this nor any other statement shall be imposed as a creedal test.
(http://www.nmuc.org/Declrtn.htm)
Looking forward to people's thoughts on these suggestions but it should be interesting to trace developments in the process. Just because it says review does not necessarily mean immediate change.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I like Davidium's suggestion, as well as Maize's.

• Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations, and in the world as a whole;
uu_sage said:
My favorite suggestions for revising or taking another look at the Principles would be the original principles from the '61 merger (as follows) From this list the only thing needing revising is to have inclusive language.
In accordance with these corporate purposes, the members of the Unitarian Universalist Association, dedicated to the principles of a free faith, unite in seeking:

1. To strengthen one another in a free and disciplined search for truth as the foundation of our religious fellowship;
2. To cherish and spread the universal truths taught by the great prophets and teachers of humanity in every age and tradition, immemorially summarized in the Judeo-Christian heritage as love to God and love to man;
3. To affirm, defend and promote the supreme worth of every human personality, the dignity of man, and the use of the democratic method in human relationships;
4. To implement our vision of one world by striving for a world community founded on ideals of brotherhood, justice and peace;
5. To serve the needs of member churches and fellowships, to organize new churches and fellowships, and to extend and strengthen liberal religion;

I like that, but I'm not sure how the second statement would fly with some. It seems kind of silly to think, but I'm sure there'd be some that would oppose it.

We avow our faith in

Looking forward to people's thoughts on these suggestions but it should be interesting to trace developments in the process. Just because it says review does not necessarily mean immediate change.

Hmmm...it's a bit too 'Christian' for the Unitarian Universalism of today, methinks. I like it though...just not for UU.

uu_sage

Love this suggestion, made the principles more accessible.

I like that set of principles too, but yeah, its true it would be considered "too Christian" but it did strike a balance between liberal Christianity and humanism. The Universalist declaration did spark our current principles of "inherent worth and dignity", and "the responsible search of truth and meaning"

With any revision of the principles, it would be a matter of keeping the spirit of the principles but making it stronger

The reworked "current 7 Principles" below would work just fine
Tigress said:
I like Davidium's suggestion, as well as Maize's.
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations, and in the world as a whole;
I'm pretty sure that with any set of principles there are some people that would be opposed to it.
[f Sans Serif]I like that, but I'm not sure how the second statement would fly with some. It seems kind of silly to think, but I'm sure there'd be some that would oppose it.

Hmmm...it's a bit too 'Christian' for the Unitarian Universalism of today, methinks. I like it though...just not for UU.

uumckk16

lilithu said:
Namaste, uumckk. :)

The easiest thing to do is to point you to the course syllabus for the ASD class that I co-facilitated with a dear friend of mine at church. It was given last winter but due to my own laziness is still online.

http://www.wizdum.net/uu/asd/7princ-readings.html

That page has links to some of the sermons to which I was refering. And from those links you should be able to find the other sermons that were given on the 7 principles from that same minister. For example, we linked to a sermons on "Justice, Equity and Compassion" (our second principle) by Rev. Ricky Hoyt. From his site, you should be able to find all seven of his sermons on the principles. I'd also highly reccomend the book that we used for the course as a good intro to the principles. It's a short read.

Also, my co-facilitator gave a sermon on marriage equality several months back and she cited every one of the seven principles in support of marriage equality. It is an example of how we've reflected on each of the principles and how they are expressed in our lives.

http://www.wizdum.net/uu/sermons/kmorgan_marriageq.html

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks so much, Lilthu! I'll check them out :)

uu_sage said:

Yeah, I don't think people would be very inclined to put the "Judeo-Christian" reference back into the Principles. I think most UUs are content with it in the list of sources.

uu_sage said:
We avow our faith in

I really like that! Thanks for sharing! But yeah, I don't think any references to God or Jesus will be making it into our Principles anytime soon...