• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism, brachot, and ritualisation of everyday life

vijeno

I'm an atheist with a love for languages and a soft spot for Judaism. So I went and learned a few brachot, and I'm just about starting to repeat them (in my head or under my breath) before meals.

I feel like ritualising the mundane is a good idea in general. I can't really explain why, it just refocuses the brain, it makes you stop, take a moment to go "hey, this is special, I should be thankful for this". I guess it's an exercise in mindfulness.

I guess one could do this without a foreign language and a religion in which one does not believe... this is just my personal take on it. I feel like ritualisation is one thing we can take from many religions even if we don't believe in them, and somehow Judaism gets this right, for me anyway.

So... thoughts?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I wonder, how many brachot are there? Are there people still actively creating new ones? And how bad is it, if you're a devout Jew, to say the wrong blessing?
In my case, those questions fall into the category "don't know / don't care."

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I practice ritualized gratitude also. When I'm hungry I eat and am thankful. When I'm dirty and stink I bathe and am thankful, so are my friends by the way. When I'm thirsty and I drink I am thankful. This is ritualized gratitude for I do not eat, bathe, or drink until I feel like i need to.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Nothing cold? How do you describe: "don't know / don't care"?

I would describe it as being terse and honest.

But, since you apparently prefer verbose and honest, I was asked ...

I wonder, how many brachot are there? Are there people still actively creating new ones? And how bad is it, if you're a devout Jew, to say the wrong blessing?

In my opinion, and in order:
  1. I don't know.
  2. I don't know, but people are forever creating all manner of things.
  3. ! don't know, and I honestly do not care.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I would describe it as being terse and honest.

But, since you apparently prefer verbose and honest, I was asked ...

In my opinion, and in order:
  1. I don't know.
  2. I don't know, but people are forever creating all manner of things.
  3. ! don't know, and I honestly do not care.

My preferences are irrelevant. Terse + Honest = cold. I wish you well.