• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JWs take note

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Annoyed John Baldwin Fires 19 Rounds At Jehovah's Witnesses Departing His Property

Anyone who’s ever answered the door only to be greeted by a group of Jehovah’s Witnesses preaching their brand of
front-porch gospel knows how annoying they can be. But John Baldwin of Centerton, Ark., took his irritation to a new level.
Baldwin.jpg

Baldwin whipped out a 9mm handgun and uncorked 19 rounds in the direction of the departing front-stoop evangelists.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident Saturday, but Baldwin faces charges of aggravated assault.
source
While I do sympathize with his frustration---who of us non-JWs can't---I do believe this was taking things a bit far.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
A few things: 1. this shows that some people shouldn't own guns, even when all else says they should be allowed, and 2. he was a really bad shot.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A poster "Proseletysers Might be Shot at!" on the lawn would have been fair warning, except for the large word that may not be understood by many.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe there is a governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses rule that if a sign is posted and the publisher (a preacher of JW) goes in anyway, the person will get no help from the society if it results in an arrest.

The JWs are been influenced to believe what they are doing is sanctioned by Almighty God.

I have heard of shots being fired to scare the witnesses. The shots weren't fired at them. They were just for their ears to hear.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't sympathize with him.
JWs are no bother to me.
They leave as soon as I explain I'm a devout heathen.
It's all quick & pleasant.

no-body

No way JW love this stuff it makes them martyr's. Better to answer the door naked (preferably with an erection, if you're male)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I admit there is something remarkable for people to persist through constant failure to communicate. I often wonder what the stats are regarding doors slamming, etc. versus a kindly conversation. 15 to 1, or higher? it's gotta be a tough tough job, and not one that I (and I suspect many others here) could do.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I admit there is something remarkable for people to persist through constant failure to communicate. I often wonder what the stats are regarding doors slamming, etc. versus a kindly conversation. 15 to 1, or higher? it's gotta be a tough tough job, and not one that I (and I suspect many others here) could do.

Hahaha No! More like 100 or 1000 to one. Look up the stats about how mnay hours it takes to make just one convert.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Are they dwindling in numbers?
"The following graph highlights the consequence of such a decrease on the number of Jehovah's Witnesses, [see linked source] and powerfully demonstrates the effect of compounding growth. The rate of growth of publishers has dropped from an average 5.64% per annum over the 15 years prior to 1995, to 2.55% in the 15 years after 1995. Had growth remained above 5%, the 4,950,344 Witnesses in 1995 would have exceeded 11 million in 2010. Instead, there were only 7 million in 2010 - a difference of 4 million people. Factors on conversion and retention, such as Internet education, resulted in growth of 2 million instead of 6 million, just one third of that expected in 1995.

predicted-actual-1980-2010.jpg

source

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hahaha No! More like 100 or 1000 to one. Look up the stats about how mnay hours it takes to make just one convert.
1995 statistics.
" . . .Witness children could only account for at most half (134,400/264,161) the number of baptisms. Witnesses are growing mostly in poor countries where growth rates are higher, but since the Watchtower encourages not to have children, and a sizeable number of children do not get baptised, it seems reasonable to conclude that no more than half the number being baptised is internal and the rest is from preaching. That is not an encouraging statistic, since 1,707,094,710 hours of preaching only resulted in 130,000 conversions, or over 13,000 hours preaching per convert.
source

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Witness children could only account for at most half (134,400/264,161) the number of baptisms.
When I said family I meant children, husbands and wives, mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers. I believe a great many converts are known by the Jehovah's Witness, not strangers.

esmith

Veteran Member
We used to get numerous religious advocates stopping by and trying to, I guess, preach their beliefs. I started asking them about various biblical stories and their possible source like the Epic of Gilgamesh, and various other older stories. I think that there is some sort of mark on our property now because they don't stop by anymore. I will say one thing though we live is a state with the second highest percentage of Mormons. We get the occasional very well dressed and polite young people stopping by but when you say you are not interested they thank you and walk away. I really don't mind them like some of the other groups.