• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill a gay, get $4500

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
omehttp://365gay.com/Newscon06/07/071106jerusalem.htm

(Jerusalem) Hundreds of leaflets distributed to homes in Jerusalem's ultra-Orthodox area and other parts of the city overnight offer 20,000 Israeli new shekels or about $4,500 US to anyone who kills gays marching in next month's World Pride in Jerusalem. The flyers bore the name Red Arm for Salvation and said the money would go to "anyone who will cause the death of one of the Sodom and Gomorrah people."
"During this parade, 300,000 corrupt animals are anticipated to march through the holy city of Jerusalem, waiting avidly for the chance to put themselves on display before our children and our sacred Torah. They will try as hard as they can to defile as many of our innocent children as they can," the leaflets said.
The flyers also gave detailed instructions on how to make a Molotov cocktail, an incendiary bomb using a bottle, to be lobbed into the parade.
The article later goes on to say that the leaflets may be a joke. Joke or not, I honestly fear for the safety of those that will attend the parade. :(

Does the fact that the gay pride parade will take place in a "holy" city excuse this kind of behavior? What are your thoughts on the article and the issue?

Faint

Jensa said:
Does the fact that the gay pride parade will take place in a "holy" city excuse this kind of behavior? What are your thoughts on the article and the issue?
There's no reasonable excuse for this kind of behavior. But if you're gay, you need to understand that marching through a city with so much religious significance and occupied by a large percentage of religious nuts is not going to go over too well.

In a way, bringing gay pride marches to Jerusalem is disrespectful to the religious. It would be like going into a Mosque with a megaphone and arguing against Islam. There might be better places to fight for gay rights.

On the other hand, maybe that's what the event organizers are trying to do...to get some massive publicity and spit in the faces of the homophobic religions and the ignorant?

Smoke

Done here.
Jensa said:
http://365gay.com/Newscon06/07/071106jerusalem.htmWhat are your thoughts on the article and the issue?
It occurs to me that it might just be a ploy to get the authorities to cancel the march. However, there's no doubt that religious extremists, including many Haredi, are fully capable of lobbing bombs at the march. Just look at the cult that's arisen around Baruch Goldstein, the extremist who killed 29 Muslim worshipers and wounded over a hundred at the Tomb of the Patriarchs in 1994. Goldstein, who was disarmed and beaten to death by Muslim worshipers, has become popular as a "martyr," and his tomb is a popular pilgrimage site, despite the fact that the Israeli government demolished the shrine there several years ago. There's no end to the madness.

Smoke

Done here.
Faint said:
In a way, bringing gay pride marches to Jerusalem is disrespectful to the religious. It would be like going into a Mosque with a megaphone and arguing against Islam. There might be better places to fight for gay rights.
Personally, I was surprised at the choice, only because of safety considerations. But the argument that Jerusalem ought to be a gay rights-free zone makes me think it's exactly the right choice.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i am personally disgusted that any person claiming to be of a decent religion can even concider planning such horific actions.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Jensa said:
...Does the fact that the gay pride parade will take place in a "holy" city excuse this kind of behavior?...
No! Peaceful words can never be a valid excuse for violence against those speaking them, whether or not anyone agrees.

The first part of the article refers to an ultra-orthodox Jewish area, but of course Jerusalem is an important city to other religions as well.
article said:
...Last month a Moslem leader, sheik Ibrahim Sarsur who is also a member of the Kensett, warned gays that "if they dare to approach the Temple Mount during the parade – they will do so over our dead bodies."...
Just as bad as Phelps here in the states.I wish these folks could live and let live.:162:

niceguy

It is horrible if it's true and it's STILL horribly if it's a ploy. THere are absolotly no excuses for threatening people like that. :149:

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Jensa said:
There is no excuse for this type of behavior. It is deplorable. I can't help but wonder though, why organizers would choose Jerusalem, if for no other reason than to throw the sexuality and the issue of Gay and Lesbian rights in the face of those who are religious. I think that the idea to go to Jerusalem was wrong on their part, but such things should be debated and talked about, rather than hated and threatened with violence. It is a shame that happened.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
BUDDY said:
There is no excuse for this type of behavior. It is deplorable. I can't help but wonder though, why organizers would choose Jerusalem, if for no other reason than to throw the sexuality and the issue of Gay and Lesbian rights in the face of those who are religious. I think that the idea to go to Jerusalem was wrong on their part, but such things should be debated and talked about, rather than hated and threatened with violence. It is a shame that happened.

maybe because equality should start at the top....

Faint

MidnightBlue said:
Personally, I was surprised at the choice, only because of safety considerations. But the argument that Jerusalem ought to be a gay rights-free zone makes me think it's exactly the right choice.
Maybe so. And I'm all for gay rights. But the organizers should expect such treatment when trying to push their cause in such a place. I mean, do they expect religious zealots to be reasonable?