• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KJV "Be of one mind" is not "Say the same things"

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We are discussing the KJV of the scripture only, please. This is a Christian discussion, so please stick to the source material; and

For reference this statement appears 3 times in the Christian NT:

[Phl 2:2-5, 7 KJV] 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, [being] of one accord, of one mind. 3 [Let] nothing [be done] through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: ... 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Please notice in the above passage that being of one mind does not mean always saying the same thing, always agreeing about things or always presenting a common front. It is about internal harmony. I recently read a bad claim online that this meant Christians would always say (so as not to cause confusion) the same things. Nothing could be more incorrect or further from the concept of being in Christ, as I interpret the NT authors. Nevertheless I fellowship all. The cup of Christ converts very powerfully.

[1Pe 3:8-9 KJV] 8 Finally, [be ye] all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, [be] pitiful, [be] courteous: 9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
Please notice in the above passage that being of one mind does not mean always saying the same thing, always agreeing about things or always presenting a common front. It is about internal harmony.

[2Co 13:11 KJV] 11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
Please notice the same thing in the above passage that being of one mind does not mean always saying the same thing, always agreeing about things or always presenting a common front. It is about internal harmony.

Now why do I say this misunderstanding is so bad that "Nothing could be more incorrect or further from the concept of being in Christ?" Its so obvious. Be of one mind, and if you cannot accept dealing with other people then... Is there hope after having left behind the cross for a life of comfort and trying to control reality?

We want to make sure the children are believers! That is idolatry. Abraham had to give up Isaac. A Christian has to accept that the spirit comes not from other people but from the spirit. I think it is unbelieving to try to make children into believers. In many cases it is exactly what makes them unbelievers. Instead teach them right from wrong, and leave it at that. You cannot see into the child or put the spirit into them. Love them of course.

But if you will only do this one thing: allow people to disagree and still fellowship with you, then you will have obeyed the command to be of one mind. Leave room for God to intervene. God is involved, right? Stop defending, defending. Let God defend God.

Stop the 'Friendly fire'. In the gospels it is called 'Beating your fellow servants'. In John's letters it is called antichrist. We all know how to defeat antichrist: the God of peace will crush the Satan if and only if we are at peace with one another. The method we have been using (for centuries) is not working: carefully constructed arguments and coercion and safety fences. These are never going to work. Argument has its place, but its just not going to work. Altar calls? Obviously useless. They have no use. Creeds? Pointless. Rituals? Not really going to do anything either.

If I am rich and generous, can you tell me who I will give money to? Why would you think you or I had any control of God? It is pointless to create barriers to keep people informed and safe from wolves. Wolves arise from within. Its where wolves come from in church. There is one shepherd, so lets stop fencing with words, arguments, anxiety. If you have anxiety about what someone else believes just look away for a bit. It'll be fine.

Share the cup. Come together, forgiving one another and not judging. Don't hold anyone back. Then you are doing it not in your own name but Christ's name.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There's a song I really like, and it's "They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love"-- or something like that.

Another is the "Song of St. Francis".