• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

La Française

Shaul

Premium Member
I am taking two language classes at this time, Spanish and French. The Spanish class is an advanced one and I have been conversant in Spanish for years. In the past I have studied other languages such as Hebrew, Russian and German. But I am finding French very frustrating. The spelling is very strange and the language adds additional letters for little or no reasons. And then there's the minor annoyance of the special letters. :confused: In contrast the pronunciation drops as many letters as possible and even more than enough which makes the words indistinct. This squishes syllables together across word boundaries making it harder to decipher. It also frequently uses nasal vowels. Most people find this endearing or attractive. I don't. It irritates me. It sounds like French speakers are swallowing their words. I want to learn the language and I am planning to travel to French speaking countries. But I just wanted to rant and get this off my chest.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Le français n'est pas difficile.

French orthography is deep, but the pronunciation is consistent once you understand how it all fits together. The spoken language can be hard to follow for the reasons you mentioned but I promise you it gets better with exposure.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's undeniable that French can be much easier to learn to a Romance language speaker...but...
tell me what you find difficult in this text...with these lyrics. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
True, the French orthography has evolved to be much less 'alphabetic' than the other romance languages -- though not nearly as chaotic as English. At least there is a system to it, but it's kind of complicated at first.

What I find most difficult in spoken French is the prosody, which is very different from that of other Romance languages or the Germanic languages, where each, individual word is distinct.