• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Latter-day Saints send Aid to Middle East

Bishka

Veteran Member
27 July 2006
spacer.gif

SALT LAKE CITY — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is responding to a United Nations appeal for humanitarian aid to help civilians caught in the conflict between Israeli and Hezbollah forces in Lebanon and Israel.

U.N. officials are asking for international assistance to meet the needs for three months of an estimated 800,000 people who have been displaced, wounded or otherwise affected by the fighting.

A Church donation of medical supplies, powdered milk, baby formula, hand soap and hygiene kits will be flown to the affected region by Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW). The planeload of aid is expected to leave Salt Lake City on Tuesday, 1 August, and arrive in Lebanon a few days later. Representatives of IRW and the Hariri Foundation, a Lebanese development and education organization, will oversee distribution.

The Church has met an urgent request for $50,000 from Magen David Admon, the Israeli affiliate of the International Red Cross. The donation will be used in Haifa to respond to increased demand on Magen David Admon’s blood services program, ambulance response and support of individual family needs.

President Gordon B. Hinckley, leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has emphasized that the Church’s humanitarian assistance is provided to those in need wherever they may be without regard to religious affiliation, race, ethnicity or political persuasion.

Of the Church’s worldwide efforts to relieve suffering, President Hinckley has said: "We have … blessed the lives of many people who are not of our faith but who also are children of our Father. We will continue to do so for as long as we have the means."

nutshell

Great to hear. I always enjoy learning about the various ways the Church's humanitarian work helps a diverse population.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Awesome!

I seem to remember a while ago Mormon groups and Muslim groups working together to provide aid... but I can't for the life of me remember for what. :confused:

MrS

you are probably looking for this article

lds.org/newsroom/showrelease/0,15503,4044-1-16630,00.html

(sorry i would have made it a link but this is only my second post and i need more than 15 before i can make a link)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Very impressive. It's wonderful to see Christian churches respond in such a way.

I hate to be... negative... but the $50,000 "urgently needed" by the International Red Cross in Israel seems a little strange to me? You can fit in one clinic the number of civilians in northern Israel injured, and there was barely any damage to infrastructure in the region. I'm sure any government official from Haifa to Tel Aviv could hand over $50,000 practically from their pockets.

I really can't explain why that annoyed me so much I had to mention it, normally I wouldn't. But there it is.

Anyhow, bravo LDS Church. I'm starting to respect it more than I know more about it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Because_I_am said:
and what about sexual preference?
I suspect you already know the answer to this question. The Church is not going to deny medical supplies, powdered milk, baby formula, hand soap and hygiene kits to gays. :rolleyes: As President Hinckley stated, "Humanitarian assistance is provided to those in need."

Bishka

Veteran Member
Because_I_am said:
and what about sexual preference?

I used to be mormon, just so you know.

President Hinckley has been very clear about this in the past, anyone gets it and we should show love to all no matter of their race, sexual orientation or religion.