• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learn something new at RF every day!!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
"Ravens and wolves have a special relationship. Called “wolf birds” by various cultures, ravens have important ties to wolves. Like many scavengers, the common raven (Corvus corax) is especially tied to large predators that serve as potential food providers. Wolves provide many Yellowstone species a year-round food not necessarily available prior to their re-establishment in the park: carrion. Bears, eagles, magpies, and several other species also benefit from this food source.

Ravens begin eating carrion quickly, usually arriving not soon after a kill, but rather—because of their close association with wolves—being there when the kill is made. As many as 135 ravens have been seen on one carcass! Interestingly, these birds will not only eat some of the food, but cache (store) as much as possible. It is believed that in some cases the raven, not the wolf, will harvest the majority of a large animal carcass.

WolfHowling_BlacktailPonds_DEC19_NPS_PeacoJim-1.jpg

Wolf at Blacktail Pond. NPS / Jim Peaco

Ravens are highly regarded for their social skills, a complicated communication system, and excellent visual recognition. These vocal birds make lots of noise when they find a dead animal, drawing attention to the carcass so that larger, more “tooled” scavengers can open up the hide and eventually provide food for the ravens.

Those social skills have not gone unnoticed when observing wolf/raven interactions. Ravens have often been seen interacting with wolves, especially pups and yearlings. These intriguing birds have been known to grab sticks and play tug-of-war with wolf puppies, to fly over young wolves with sticks and tease the small canines into jumping up to grab the sticks, and even to boldly pull the tails of wolves to initiate a reaction. Some scientists have theorized that individual ravens may even develop special bonds with individual wolves within a pack.

Perhaps we will soon know more about this fascinating animal relationship, as a new research study in Yellowstone hopes to shed light on many facets of raven life, including their relationship with wolves on the landscape.

It's been researched that ravens will often play with wolf pups and their bond can be forever lasting. It's also been researched that when a Raven finds a dead animal like a deer, it doesn't call for other ravens to find him to eat, it's actually trying to grab the attention of a wolf that will open the animal up for the ravens to eat."
Naturalist Notes: Wolves and Ravens - Yellowstone Forever

Please share something many of us don't know. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't know much about the wolf raven relationship but i learned some years ago that ravens (and other corvidae) are among the most intelligent birds who are considered to have entered their equivalent of the stone age.

exchemist

Veteran Member
"Ravens and wolves have a special relationship. Called “wolf birds” by various cultures, ravens have important ties to wolves. Like many scavengers, the common raven (Corvus corax) is especially tied to large predators that serve as potential food providers. Wolves provide many Yellowstone species a year-round food not necessarily available prior to their re-establishment in the park: carrion. Bears, eagles, magpies, and several other species also benefit from this food source.

Ravens begin eating carrion quickly, usually arriving not soon after a kill, but rather—because of their close association with wolves—being there when the kill is made. As many as 135 ravens have been seen on one carcass! Interestingly, these birds will not only eat some of the food, but cache (store) as much as possible. It is believed that in some cases the raven, not the wolf, will harvest the majority of a large animal carcass.

Ravens are highly regarded for their social skills, a complicated communication system, and excellent visual recognition. These vocal birds make lots of noise when they find a dead animal, drawing attention to the carcass so that larger, more “tooled” scavengers can open up the hide and eventually provide food for the ravens.

Those social skills have not gone unnoticed when observing wolf/raven interactions. Ravens have often been seen interacting with wolves, especially pups and yearlings. These intriguing birds have been known to grab sticks and play tug-of-war with wolf puppies, to fly over young wolves with sticks and tease the small canines into jumping up to grab the sticks, and even to boldly pull the tails of wolves to initiate a reaction. Some scientists have theorized that individual ravens may even develop special bonds with individual wolves within a pack.

Perhaps we will soon know more about this fascinating animal relationship, as a new research study in Yellowstone hopes to shed light on many facets of raven life, including their relationship with wolves on the landscape.

It's been researched that ravens will often play with wolf pups and their bond can be forever lasting. It's also been researched that when a Raven finds a dead animal like a deer, it doesn't call for other ravens to find him to eat, it's actually trying to grab the attention of a wolf that will open the animal up for the ravens to eat."

That's fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Ravens are known to be highly intelligent, so I'm not totally surprised, but it is impressive, nonetheless.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The tiny Egyptian plover has a relationship with the big, dangerous nile crocodile by walking into its open mouth, the croc keeps its mouth open while the bird picks out the old food stuck between the teeth of the croc. In saving tooth and gum problems in the croc the bird gets a free meal

7de56ce41233524a7bad235eae4474fd.jpeg

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

This is why Huginn/Muninn and Geri/Freki are associated with Odin. :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The tiny Egyptian plover has a relationship with the big, dangerous nile crocodile by walking into its open mouth, the croc keeps its mouth open while the bird picks out the old food stuck between the teeth of the croc. In saving tooth and gum problems in the croc the bird gets a free meal

View attachment 61456
So how does the croc actually know the bird is doing him a service, and how does the bird know that the crock isn't going to hurt him/her?

I think it is a beautiful relationship, but if the crock is hungry, the bird is going to provide him nutrition. How the bird actually knows what it is doing is going to be safe, and how The crocodile knows the bird is doing it a service, is amazing!

ChristineM

Premium Member
So how does the croc actually know the bird is doing him a service, and how does the bird know that the crock isn't going to hurt him/her?

I think it is a beautiful relationship, but if the crock is hungry, the bird is going to provide him nutrition. How the bird actually knows what it is doing is going to be safe, and how The crocodile knows the bird is doing it a service, is amazing!

How did the first plover buck up the courage to say, "that's a nasty wad of food you have stuck in your mouth me-old-pal. Would you be kind enough to open up that mincing machine you call a mouth and I'll clean it out for you... And no cheating"

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hemlock oil removes skunk scent. It apparently neatralizes the odor.
Mink like the smell of bananas.
Cattail fluff makes an excellent coal extender when starting friction fires.
Excellent you say it smells like bananas.

I found a book today that coincided with two other events, and it was about "the Banana War". :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The op has five informative ratings in less than 1 and a half hours. That's the most informative points I've ever received in a short amount of time before. Thank you for the quick support, supplies of fresh frubals, and love everybody, every vote counts, thank you for your generosity, deeds of charity, and kindness! :):heart:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The op has five informative ratings in less than 1 and a half hours. That's the most informative points I've ever received in a short amount of time before. Thank you for the quick support, supplies of fresh frubals, and love everybody, every vote counts, thank you for your generosity, deeds of charity, and kindness! :):heart:
In gentle , little, and small ways, you can shake the world! ;)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sperm is attracted to the smell of lily of the valley.

The ovum emits a scent, bourgeonal which causes the sperms tail wag. Bourgeonal is also the main component of the lily of the valley scent.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Sorry. Still, just any mention of bananas makes the coincidence more remarkable. :)
Have you ever smelled a mink? It's not quite as strong as skunk but they can emit a strong scent from their glands. It's an attraction to other animals, as a curiosity smell, but they do it when scared or mad.