• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lesser known religions to consider?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Everyone knows of the major world religions and although I adhere to one (Buddhism), I consider it to be more like one half of a coin. That it is a set of rules that can go with almost any other path. However, when exploring other faiths, I find myself at odds with the orthodox within those religions, my own world view getting in the way of practices and just plain unsatisfactoriness.

Someone once told me: "Why not polytheistic re-constructionism?". I looked into it and wasn't too wild over it, but it did raise an interesting Idea.

What are some of the worlds lesser known religions that could be worth looking into?

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Definitely, Shinto :0 there is not enough about it, and I'm curious to know more

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Everyone knows of the major world religions and although I adhere to one (Buddhism), I consider it to be more like one half of a coin. That it is a set of rules that can go with almost any other path. However, when exploring other faiths, I find myself at odds with the orthodox within those religions, my own world view getting in the way of practices and just plain unsatisfactoriness.

Someone once told me: "Why not polytheistic re-constructionism?". I looked into it and wasn't too wild over it, but it did raise an interesting Idea.

What are some of the worlds lesser known religions that could be worth looking into?

Well I wouldn't call it a religion but have you considered Gnosticism?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What's worth looking into really depends on what exactly you're looking for. It also depends on where you are in the world and if you could reasonably engage in the community of said religion. Then, it would depend on if that particular community gels with you, because they're definitely not all the same in spite of using the same label for themselves.

Unless you're in Japan, I really wouldn't regard Shinto as a valid option. Certain religious traditions are indigenous/tribal, and you really can't be a member if you're not part of the community. Native American religious are similar in that respect, along with many of the (Pagan) folk religions of Asia in general. They're not open to outsiders.

Honestly, if you're a seeker, I would get over to a Unitarian Universalist congregation. They're multi-religious, and you'll find plenty of resources there (along with some very knowledgable people) to help you investigate various religious traditions.

BruceDLimber

The Baha'i Faith is a possibility, the more so given that in addition to being unific, its scriptures explicitly recognize and respect virtually all of the other religions!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Confucianism.
Ravidassia; a religion like Sikhism, but without the Khālsā or the Sikh gurus.
Cheondoism; a religion with roots in Confucianism and Taoism without emphasis (and frequently, without belief) in an afterlife.
Ayyavazhi, a Dharmic religion which many declare as an independent religion.
Cao Đài, a cool syncretic religion with a poet as a saint.
Hòa Hảo (sort of).
Druze (although I don't know if they still take converts).
Not really a religion as such, but Noahidism is pretty interesting.
Bön. Which is awesome.

Kemble

What bothers you about Buddhism?