• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk About Arthurian Legend

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I am reading The Once and Future King(T.H. White), and really loving it.

It seems a series of smaller stories told within a greater one, often told in such a way it gets a person pondering life's greater mysteries. Every bit of the world is alive in these(as I feel it already is, even if we forget to acknowledge it).

There are elements of both Christianity and the religions before it, blending at times to create something uniquely beautiful, and clashing at others(as differences are sure to cause such).

Do you enjoy Arthurian Legend?

What do you know about it? What would you hope to know about it?

Jedster

Arthur's tomb at Glastonbury Abbey.

I found this on utube. An intro.

1725137551760.png

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I read “ Le Morte d’Arthur “ by Sir Thomas Mallory as a child and loved it,for a medaeval book it was excellent but I think it was based on an earlier French one.

What I find interesting is the sword in the stone part,this is where I think it comes from much further back and the early days of metallurgy,pouring metal into a stone mold and the pulling it out when cooled must have been amazing back then and magical,great legend though.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I read “ Le Morte d’Arthur “ by Sir Thomas Mallory as a child and loved it,for a medaeval book it was excellent but I think it was based on an earlier French one.
I've heard that's a good one.
What I find interesting is the sword in the stone part,this is where I think it comes from much further back and the early days of metallurgy,pouring metal into a stone mold and the pulling it out when cooled must have been amazing back then and magical,great legend though.
Very interesting! I did not know that.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
@JustGeorge I live very near the site and lots of Arthur devotees come an visit all year round.
There was /is someone who claims to be Arthur returned, he has a small following.
I would think it would be an interesting place to live!

The impression I got from the documentary was the guy was a bit of a nut, but perhaps was doing some good. What do you think?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Edward the III,arguably the greatest warlike king recreated the round table of Arthurian legend,tournaments and a code of honour,the three worst defeats of the French,Agincourt Crecy and Poitier put an end to these romantic ideals.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am reading The Once and Future King(T.H. White), and really loving it.

It seems a series of smaller stories told within a greater one, often told in such a way it gets a person pondering life's greater mysteries. Every bit of the world is alive in these(as I feel it already is, even if we forget to acknowledge it).

There are elements of both Christianity and the religions before it, blending at times to create something uniquely beautiful, and clashing at others(as differences are sure to cause such).

Do you enjoy Arthurian Legend?

What do you know about it? What would you hope to know about it?
A great book, though I read it at least 40 years ago. Dang, I am getting old.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I did my senior paper on Arthur. I got a C+. Now for me to remember that 50 years later should give you a clue that I may have once been a fan, but no more. LOL

I read The Once and Future King because my son asked me to. It's a favorite of his. Otherwise I would not have finished it. ENJOY. I'll stick with Robin Hood for that time period. Especially the Kevin Costner, Morgan Freedman movie version!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I did my senior paper on Arthur. I got a C+. Now for me to remember that 50 years later should give you a clue that I may have once been a fan, but no more. LOL

I read The Once and Future King because my son asked me to. It's a favorite of his. Otherwise I would not have finished it. ENJOY. I'll stick with Robin Hood for that time period. Especially the Kevin Costner, Morgan Freedman movie version!
What didn't you like about it?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Haven't dived into it in a long time, but it has various nuggets and tidbits of the old indigenous ways sprinkled throughout - most notably Welsh mythos and religion which is of particular interest to certain contemporary Druid orders. As a Druid who isn't based in the UK, I don't have that same connection to that mythos that those living in those lands can have. It's more of a pop culture thing for me, for better or worse, and its influence on contemporary Paganism more broadly is fairly well-known.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
What didn't you like about it?
It's been too many years to remember more than I wanted to reshelve it unfinished. Now as much as I read, and the wide variety in what I read, it could have just been the wrong book for that time. For example, in high school one of my favorite books was Ivanhoe. About a year ago I picked it up for a reread and didn't make it far before it went back to the shelf! :shrug:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I read many different novel series regarding King Arthur years ago. Two series not yet mentioned that I remember enjoying was the series by Marion Zimmer Bradley starting with The Mists of Avalon and a series by Mary Stewart starting with The Crystal Cave.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
One of my favourite poems is the Lady of Shallot by Alfred Lord Tennyson,Camelot plays an important part in the poem.

The Lady of Shallot painting by John William Waterhouse visualises the poem.

1725359039030.jpeg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I read many different novel series regarding King Arthur years ago. Two series not yet mentioned that I remember enjoying was the series by Marion Zimmer Bradley starting with The Mists of Avalon and a series by Mary Stewart starting with The Crystal Cave.
I've heard good things about The Mists of Avalon.