• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Levels, Degrees and Hierarchies, oh my!

Granny Beth

I was wondering what everyone thinks of the idea of hierarchy in wicca/witchcraft?

I personally cringe when anyone says "Oh, you're a witch? What level are you?" I know Gardenerian traditions like their degrees and whatnot (no offence intended ) but I think you should decide for yourself when you feel you have progressed on your spiritual path and not feel the need to assign yourself to a category. It all smacks of "holier than thou" to me. When I was in a coven, I called myself a Priestess because I was the only one who felt comfortable leading the rituals, at the time. I also made the sandwiches. I certainly didn't feel "higher" than everyone else. Its as annoying as when people say "Who made you a witch?" as if you need some sort of qualification!

What are your thoughts?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I've only recently realized I have a bit of 'wicca' in me; but as you say, I don't believe in levels; I heal, I meditate to try and find more enlightenment and truth, I don't see where catagories come in..........

Solon

michel said:
I've only recently realized I have a bit of 'wicca' in me; but as you say, I don't believe in levels; I heal, I meditate to try and find more enlightenment and truth, I don't see where catagories come in..........
LOL, Michel, your a new age Christian mystic, I like the sound of that.

Solon

Dark_Waltz

I think it is terrible, why do people always have to feel higher than other people?:banghead3
There is snobbery in witchcraft though not as much as Christianity but unfortunately it is still there.
I pay them no mind- follow your own path