• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leviathan: Modern Rites

Abishai100

The word 'leviathan' is a spiritual concept referring to a dragon/beast of chaos. The word has been used by priests, obviously, but also by philosophers and political theorists such as the iconic Thomas Hobbes who used it to talk about man's instincts towards anarchism and rebelliousness.

Leviathan is supposed to represent unpredictability, but it can also refer to a general endless uncertainty.

Mathematicians may refer to leviathan as a hypothetical absence of any maximal values in a set of numbers (seemingly impossible but conceivable within the framework of infinite numbers).

Leviathan holds special significance in our modern age of media communications and etiquette 'advertising' (i.e., Facebook). People today are unabashedly presenting all kinds of personal information on the globally-accessible World Wide Web. Social customs are now a thing of high traffic.

Therefore, we can use leviathan today to talk about "perspective" (or self-determined frame of mind). Such unusual dialogue reveals why Hollywood (USA) makes perturbation-diagram films such as "Ghost in the Machine" [1993].

Since modern scientists experiment with re-creating human consciousness in computers and computing networks (i.e., Artificial Intelligence), we can evaluate how leviathan can refer to 'synthetic imagination.'

If a robot can rebel against his human inventor/creator (as science-fiction writers such as Isaac Asimov have posited), then we can start to hypothesize "layers" of rational free will. As we peel away these layers, we get a picture of a 'brooding machine' or an 'unruly synthetic mind.'

Imagine your philosophy professor makes the following joke one day in class: "My computer today was very gloomy."

It seems that modernism caters to a new brand of 'self-identification philosophy,' so we can draw out leviathan as a re-presentation of some kind of 'sanity monstrosity.'

Would you be more frightened of a hideous monster or an evil computer? Such questions are symbolic of our modern age of empirical inquiry. That is why leviathan today can be used in discussions about non-theism logic.

Leviathan (Wikipedia)

Virus (1999 Film)

leviathan.jpg

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Leviathan is a reinvented myth / deity from Tiamat the Babylonian primordial goddess of the ocean and symbol of the chaos of primordial creation.
In western left hand path philosophy, Leviathan along with chaos and primordial creation, has come to mean the hidden truth, the unknown, Man's unconscious mind and our emotional content.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
The Statement of Leviathan
From "The Diabolicon"

"Before God or Angel, Daimon or man, there was Leviathan alone, principle of continuity and ageless existence.
By relation and time I have oft been sought, but Leviathan shall yield to none other than the final Master of the Universe.
Leviathan is the absolute, man, and if thou would presume to realize what neither Heaven nor Hell may effect, know that when thou behold the presence of Leviathan, thy end hath been attained.
Only through obliteration of the Universe that is may man seal his mastery of the Black Flame,
for only thus may he know that he is not subject to a greater Will.
Heaven must perish, Hell must perish, and man alone must remain ere the Black Flame becomes Red in the glory of its perfection.
Then the Red Magus shall behold only Leviathan, and he shall recognize that he has become the perfect mind, who shall remake the Cosmos in the eternal glory of his Satanic Will."

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
From my rite "Summoning of the Four Elements";

"From the West I call to Leviathan, the Eternal Serpent of the Abyss, the surging sea, and Dragon of perpetual Remanifestation. Thou who art the Absolute and the living principle of continuity and ageless existence. Come forth from the depths of infinite darkness and enshrine within me your divine essence."

Abishai100

The Scale of Sanity

All of these comments are awesome. I am now stirred about investigating each notion of what 'leviathan' could mean.

Incidentally, Tiamat is also the name of a multi-headed dragon and nemesis of the wily and diabolical wizard-warlock Venger from the animated adaptation Dungeons and Dragons (CBS), a favourite American Saturday morning cartoon.

When I think of a dragon (or beast) signifying chaos or uncertainty, I think of the 'scales of measurement' that make expansive analysis possible.

Remember that giant rock from those Prudential Insurance company commercials? We're always fascinated by things out of our reach or beyond our level of perception in terms of scale (i.e., the invisibly tiny world and the unfathomably immensely giant world), which is what I think Gulliver's Travels (Jonathan Swift) is all about.

How can we therefore use the term 'leviathan' to discuss/understand 'imagination monstrosity'?

Tiamat

Leviathan (Wikipedia)

levia.jpg

Abishai100

Double-Dragon

Understanding how anomalies can yield perfect bifurcations and hence two streams of monstrosity can help us better assess the overall 'shape' of power.

double-dragon.png

whirlingmerc

1) "He made Leviathan to play in the sea" Psalms
Leviathan is (or was) a sea creature described in the book of Job and Psalms
( where Behemoth is a river monster like some land sauropod )

2) Pharaoh, who wore a cobra headdress, is often described as Leviathan
and so in the Exodus the woman clothed in the sun and moon and starts,
from Josephs dream his father mother and brothers i.e. Israel, is saved from him in the Exodus so Pharaoh and Egypt are Leviathan the dragon

3) Satan is the dragon of old cast to the earth who's tail pulled down a third of the stars ( i.e. a third of the angels)

4) Any evil swelling up in pride against God was viewed as Leviathan by some Puritans

Abishai100

Infinity: Imagineers

I really like the citations posted by whirlingmerc.

I do believe that talking about 'leviathan' requires a holistic analysis of a general 'feeling of deformity' or asymmetry or misshapen metaphysics (maybe even just anything odd or out of the ordinary!).

For example, if Satan is the dragon, and the dragon is a leviathan, and Satan's suggested power reaches all of human consciousness, and (phew!) human consciousness is a fundamental 'element' of the universe, then leviathan could be a 'denominator term' to refer to all of 'dynamic intelligence.'

aquaman.jpg

whirlingmerc

In Genesis 3 the conflict is better 'bitting the heel and striking the head' Satan may have minions the bite the heal... but Jesus bonks him on the head good..

and the 'game of thrones' follows:

King Saul.. first King of Israel defeats a king whose name means Serpent King but alas he would not be the redeemer and he turns away form God

King David defeats Goliath with his sepenty scaled armor... alas he sins against God various ways

King Soloman,, Shlomo the wise has a divided heart and the greatest time of peace splits the kingdom and there must be another who 'the government will rest upon His shoulders'​

The descendent of Kind David, the Messiah might enter the curse, wear the crown of thornes and enter death and provide redemption.

Last edited: