• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

liberal or conservative

Linus

Liberals, the way I see it, are those who wish to enact various social and political changes. They want certain things to change from the way they have always been because they think it will benefit society.

Conservatives, wish to keep things more traditional. They want like things the way they are and always have been because they think it is better that way.

That's my definition anyway. Any thoughts or corrections?

Pah

Uber all member
Linus said:
Liberals, the way I see it, are those who wish to enact various social and political changes. They want certain things to change from the way they have always been because they think it will benefit society.

Conservatives, wish to keep things more traditional. They want like things the way they are and always have been because they think it is better that way.

I agree with that definition. The old thought that it was fiscal policy has been turned on it's head by Clinton and Bush.

Bob

linwood

Linus said:

I`ve got no problem with that definition but do agree with Pah about the switch in fiscal ideology between Clinton & Bush 2.

chuck010342

Linus said:

so is it possible to be a liberal conservative?

You can want to change politically so much that you want things to go back to the way it was traditionaly?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
chuck010342 said:
so is it possible to be a liberal conservative?

You can want to change politically so much that you want things to go back to the way it was traditionaly?
Want to change politically, personally? Or change politcally the way politics has been going recently?

I'm thinking, if it's the latter, you're going to find any number of both conservatives and liberals that agree with you, there. :)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Maize -

I read the article that you provided the hyperlink to. I agree completely with what the author says (about both liberals and conservatives), but I would say that each of the "caricatures" that he refers to is grounded in truth. All stereotypes have some basis in fact, that is where they come from. That is not to say that all conservatives are closed minded bigots, but one or two that are very vocal leads to the others being painted with the same broad brush. This is also true for liberals - just on the opposite side of the aisle.
I think the real problem lies in using labels in the first place. The use of labels makes it easier to attack a group of people, based on stereotype (or "caricature") rather than addressing the issue at hand.

TVOR

Ellie_A

I agree with the definitions, but I would like to ask a question. Where does one who is of liberal religious beliefs and conservitive political views belong? Is it just me that feels there is no place for people of such views. :confused:

Pah

Uber all member
Ellie_A said:
I agree with the definitions, but I would like to ask a question. Where does one who is of liberal religious beliefs and conservitive political views belong? Is it just me that feels there is no place for people of such views. :confused:

Right where you are Elliie! Whatever label is afixed to you, you are who you are!

Be glad of it!

Bob