• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life as an agnostic has been a nice change...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I joined this site when I was a zealous Bible literalist. I had an open mind, and exposure to the debate and banter of this site in part allowed me to accept agnosticism in my life and discard a personal belief in Biblical Literalism.

I find myself more at peace now that I have settled into agnosticism. The itching fear that first emerged when I discarded Christianity was that I would end up in the Christian idea of Hell. Presently, the idea that I can end up in such a place is laughable to me, no longer a concern at all.

The fact that I am not a Christian is more of an open secret amongst my very Christian family. At a gathering I hosted recently, I made sure my books on Paganism and various Eastern Religions were prominently displayed on my book shelf, while the Bible books were tightly tucked away in the bottom corner. Yet no one says anything, and they'll bring up their God around me like it's common knowledge, and I nod in agreement, as I've done for my whole life.

I have only now begun to realize how catered for the religious the society I live in is. As a Christian in America, I took for granted the fact that all the politicians, President included, championed my Christian God in their speeches. God is brought up in school, and currently I find God brought up often in the recovery side of the mental health care system.

But having removed myself from that specific God belief, I am now beginning to feel more outcast from society, as I feel society is designed with the religious being catered to. This is a new thought of mine. I would have thought it a silly thought in years prior.

Me and my boyfriend cannot openly live out our relationship, directly because of the fact that our families are Christian. It's a bummer.

Do other non-theists perceive this sense of non-belonging that I am beginning to find?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Oh! It's a nice change, because I just live out my life for myself! No more holy mission.

No existential pressure from the idea that there is a God breathing down my neck and judging all of my thoughts and actions. And no belief that many of my acquaintances and friends would burn in eternal hellfire is a huge weight off my shoulders.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I believe that there is freshly made gazpacho in the refrigerator.

I believe this, not because it makes me feel better, but because I find it to be more reasonable than denying the existence of gazpacho in my refrigerator.

One would think that agnosticism should represent an intellectually honest conclusion rather than a cathartic choice made in some bizarre D&D knock-off.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do other non-theists perceive this sense of non-belonging that I am beginning to find?

No, not now. At first when i left the church mom was upset with copious tears, but she soon came around to see my point of view. Dad just shook his head. Other than that only a couple of times have i been asked what church i attend, "none, I'm atheist" is my reply.

I don't know your family but i feel that in time they will come to accept your choice, I hope they do and i wish you good fortune on your journey.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I believe that there is freshly made gazpacho in the refrigerator.

I believe this, not because it makes me feel better, but because I find it to be more reasonable than denying the existence of gazpacho in my refrigerator.

One would think that agnosticism should represent an intellectually honest conclusion rather than a cathartic choice made in some bizarre D&D knock-off.
Hmm

I did not understand your reply in the slightest.

I feel like that's ok though, I'm rather uninterested due to your connotation.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I did not understand your reply in the slightest.

I feel like that's ok though, I'm rather uninterested due to your connotation.
I'd be interested in hearing @Jayhawker Soule's explanation.

I tend to think that theology-shopping trivializes philosophy, and that one should choose a theology (or lack thereof) based on an informed belief concerning what is true (lower case). Put differently, it should be a provisional result of study and thoughtful analysis rather than preference or idle speculation.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I joined this site when I was a zealous Bible literalist. I had an open mind, and exposure to the debate and banter of this site in part allowed me to accept agnosticism in my life and discard a personal belief in Biblical Literalism.

I find myself more at peace now that I have settled into agnosticism. The itching fear that first emerged when I discarded Christianity was that I would end up in the Christian idea of Hell. Presently, the idea that I can end up in such a place is laughable to me, no longer a concern at all.

The fact that I am not a Christian is more of an open secret amongst my very Christian family. At a gathering I hosted recently, I made sure my books on Paganism and various Eastern Religions were prominently displayed on my book shelf, while the Bible books were tightly tucked away in the bottom corner. Yet no one says anything, and they'll bring up their God around me like it's common knowledge, and I nod in agreement, as I've done for my whole life.

I have only now begun to realize how catered for the religious the society I live in is. As a Christian in America, I took for granted the fact that all the politicians, President included, championed my Christian God in their speeches. God is brought up in school, and currently I find God brought up often in the recovery side of the mental health care system.

But having removed myself from that specific God belief, I am now beginning to feel more outcast from society, as I feel society is designed with the religious being catered to. This is a new thought of mine. I would have thought it a silly thought in years prior.

Me and my boyfriend cannot openly live out our relationship, directly because of the fact that our families are Christian. It's a bummer.

Fortunately I live in a country (UK) where there is little pressure as to religious beliefs - if one happens to not live in a household devoted to passing on such beliefs perhaps - like mine - and where religious beliefs are not that important, as long as not thrust in the face of others. :eek:

So I am rather pleased that people here are essentially free to believe and practice what they see fit. I made my decisions long ago as to religions, the likelihood of God existing, and associated things, and have never regretted such - hence being an agnostic atheist. As to others, perhaps just emigrate to a country where such pressures do not exist. I can't really say I hate or despise those who would impose their beliefs on others but I certainly do deplore such - whether via religion or any other means. o_O

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I tend to think that theology-shopping trivializes philosophy, and that one should choose a theology (or lack thereof) based on an informed belief concerning what is true (lower case). Put differently, it should be a provisional result of study and thoughtful analysis rather than preference or idle speculation.
Are you implying that I am an agnostic not due to informed belief, but "idle speculation"?

If you are implying that, you got some nerve to rudely assume and declare that of me.

It is thoughtfulness that led me here, not some "bizarre D&D knockoff" whatever that means.

If you could keep the condescending attitudes off of my threads that'd be nice. I'm asking now cuz that's how you always respond to my threads.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
Regarless

I for one am glad you find comfort and peace in agnosticism, whatever led you to that, and Hope the remainder of your life’s journey is enjoyable and peaceful and I wish you all the best in your pursuits of knowledge