• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

London police ram an escaped calf

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
What do you think of this?

Some coppers in London rammed an escaped calf with their vehicle

I think it is utterly disgusting and that the officers involved should lose their jobs and their pensions

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The cow was running loose at around 8.55pm on Friday night in Staines-upon-Thames, causing disruption to traffic in the local area. Police said they had received several reports of it running at members of the public and damaging a car.

Surrey Police said officers had tried unsuccessfully for hours to safely capture the cow, after which a decision was made to use the police car to stop it from running off. [ibid] [emphasis added - JS]

I think it is utterly disgusting and that the officers involved should lose their jobs and their pensions

I do not have enough information to judge the threat to human life and property. Apparently, neither do you.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
I do not have enough information to judge the threat to human life and property. Apparently, neither do you.
Maybe

However the police in London have a very bad reputation and they pretty much let anyone join and they all cover up for each other it's a national disgrace really

So pardon me for not holding them in high regard

I wouldn't be surprised if they found the whole event thrilling and took delight in ramming a distressed and disoriented creature

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member

Secret Chief

Degrow!

The police are now investigating the officers involved and have referred them to the police watchdog

They have been removed from front line duty
Let's hope they soon invent tranquilising darts.

"Home Secretary James Cleverley said he "can think of no reasonable need for this action", and has asked for an urgent explanation of the "heavy handed" action.

The RSPCA said the police action "appears disproportionate to the situation"."

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Let's hope they soon invent tranquilising darts.

"Home Secretary James Cleverley said he "can think of no reasonable need for this action", and has asked for an urgent explanation of the "heavy handed" action.

The RSPCA said the police action "appears disproportionate to the situation"."

Cows are by nature very gentle too

The poor thing must have been terrified

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Maybe

However the police in London have a very bad reputation and they pretty much let anyone join and they all cover up for each other it's a national disgrace really

So pardon me for not holding them in high regard

I wouldn't be surprised if they found the whole event thrilling and took delight in ramming a distressed and disoriented creature
Surrey police?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... When I made this thread I thought it was the Metropolitan Police but it was indeed the Surrey Police

I still have low expectations of them though......

Which is, of course, the problem. Hopefully the response is being investigated by appropriate entities with informed expectations and the resulting report will be transparent.

Meanwhile, I find the following excerpts from a Guardian article interesting:

[From Deputy Chief Constable Nev Kemp ...]
“I can confirm that on the night, efforts were made to contact local vets without success and efforts were simultaneously being made to identify the owner.​
“Why these were unsuccessful and what more could and should have been done will form a key part of the investigation.”​
He said the police had acted out of a duty to protect the public and that animal welfare was important.​

[Later, concerning the owner, ...]
It comes after Beau Lucy’s owner, a farmer who would only give his name as Rob, described the incident as “quite horrific” and “wrong” and said “it could have been handled so much better.”​
Rob, who would not be drawn on whether the officers involved should face any disciplinary action, suggested that a vet should have been involved in Beau Lucy’s rescue, which may have avoided causing her distress.​

One takeaway might be that it's difficult to involve a vet when efforts to contact a vet proved unsuccessful.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Which is, of course, the problem. Hopefully the response is being investigated by appropriate entities with informed expectations and the resulting report will be transparent.

Meanwhile, I find the following excerpts from a Guardian article interesting:

[From Deputy Chief Constable Nev Kemp ...]
“I can confirm that on the night, efforts were made to contact local vets without success and efforts were simultaneously being made to identify the owner.​
“Why these were unsuccessful and what more could and should have been done will form a key part of the investigation.”​
He said the police had acted out of a duty to protect the public and that animal welfare was important.​

[Later, concerning the owner, ...]
It comes after Beau Lucy’s owner, a farmer who would only give his name as Rob, described the incident as “quite horrific” and “wrong” and said “it could have been handled so much better.”​
Rob, who would not be drawn on whether the officers involved should face any disciplinary action, suggested that a vet should have been involved in Beau Lucy’s rescue, which may have avoided causing her distress.​

One takeaway might be that it's difficult to involve a vet when efforts to contact a vet proved unsuccessful.
Hopefully The Independent Office for Police Conduct will do their job properly

I'll be interested to see what happens next with this