• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for salads

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Help! :shout

I'm looking for salad recipes (in an attempt to eat healthier lunches during the week) - something I can make a BIG bowl of, that will keep a few (or four) days. If anyone has anything up their sleeve (or in their recipe book), and you're willing to share it, please do! :p My only request is that if they've got a dressing involved, it's not a creamy one (or if it is, there's a low-fat option). Thanks in advance, folks! :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Bastet said:

I'm looking for salad recipes (in an attempt to eat healthier lunches during the week) - something I can make a BIG bowl of, that will keep a few (or four) days. If anyone has anything up their sleeve (or in their recipe book), and you're willing to share it, please do! :p My only request is that if they've got a dressing involved, it's not a creamy one (or if it is, there's a low-fat option). Thanks in advance, folks! :D
use a sea-fod sauce dressing

use low-fat maionaise
put it in a bowl, mix in a squirt of tomatoe puree and tomatoe ketchup
mix until pinkish
add soemlemon juice for "zang"
add to salad
eat and be merry

enjoy:D

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Bastet said:

When ever I prepare carrdero's dinners, I like to make his salads in advances for atleast 3-4 days. I get lazy...lol. I put them in those Ziploc plastic containers. They are pretty plain though but if it were my salad for my lunches or dinners, these are what I would put in them. I am not into salad dressing so I recommend purchasing salad seasoning that is low on sodium. I use Mrs. Dash or nothing at all.

lettuce (last longer, don't cut the lettuce because the blade will turn the lettuce brown sooner then if you break them into pieces.)
cherry tomatoes (whole)
red or regular onions
mushrooms (sliced)
carrots (shredded)
cuccumbers (take the seeds out)
red, yellow, or green peppers (optional)
bean sprouts (optional)
brocolli (optional)
black olives (optional)

what ever other raw vegetables you would like

toppings:
tuna in water drained
grilled chicken
grilled shrimp
grilled steak
grilled tuna
low fat cottage cheese
low sodium bacon bits (made from soy)
vegie cheese
firm tofu (fry firm tofu in a dribble of vegetable oil) you can substitute for croutons
low fat low sodium shredded cheese just for topping

Adding fruits on top of the salad is good too. Make sure you find the ones with light syrup or even no sugar would be even better. What ever you like. Sometimes it's trial and error. I recommend putting the fruits on the side and then adding it when you are actually going to start eating. Fruits on salads are not ment to have dressings in my department. I don't like salad dressings that much. I like plain salads. If you can get salad seasoning with low sodium that you can dash on your salad, that would be better then salad dressing if you are into eating healthier. I recommend Mrs. Dash or nothing at all.

Example:
Mandarine
Peaches
Mango
Papaya
Pineapple
and other fruits

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Bastet said:
Help!

Just a tip (unless you already kmnow it, in which case forget tip ). If you are going to make the salad & store it in the fridge, do not add the dressing until when you eat it, or the lettuce will go 'all floppy'........and we can't have 'all floppy lettuce', now, can we ?:D

Another tip though (to make life a bit more exciting) have a baked Jacket potato with the salad (healthy and not fattening).....no butter with the potato though......:(

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Well, I know you like spicy food, so I found this one. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to, it sounds really wonderful.

SPICY MEXICAN BEAN SALAD

1 red onion, sliced
1/4 c water
1 T chili powder
2 c cooked green beans
1 15oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 15oz. can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 15oz. can white beans, drained & rinsed
1 1/2 c frozen corn kernals, thawed
2 T chopped cilantro or parsley
Chili-Cilantro Dressing (recipe following)

Place the onion in a saucepan with the water. Cook gently until the onion is
soft and separated into rings, 4 to 5 min. Add the chili powder and stir
until well mixed. Remove from heat.
Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss to mix well. Cover
and chill for 1 to 2 hours to allow flavors to blend.

CHILI-CILANTRO DRESSING

1 4oz. can chopped green chilis
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c water
1/4 c fresh lime juice
1-2 cloves garlic
2 t honey
freshly ground pepper to taste

Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until
smooth.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Salads are usually my enemy, but I love this particular kind.

Take lots of baby spinich and throw in some sliced strawberries. Add in sliced almonds. Eat.

There! My most complicated recipe! (It helps if you have a matching vinagrette, too.)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
FeathersinHair said:
Salads are usually my enemy, but I love this particular kind.

Take lots of baby spinich and throw in some sliced strawberries. Add in sliced almonds. Eat.

There! My most complicated recipe! (It helps if you have a matching vinagrette, too.)
wait a minute ........ throw it in??? ........ slicing???? ........ eat it ...... but that sounds like ........ STUDENT COOKING!!!! :biglaugh:

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Thanks everyone, for your recipes/suggestions! :clap I've found this great website (the first one that popped up when I typed 'bean salad' into a search engine), it's got all sorts of recipes. :p I think I'm going to expand my tastes this year lol. http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/

Fluffy

A fool
Get a tin of kidney beans, some diced cucumber and sliced red pepper and mix them in a bowl. Add in some cooked pasta (pasta shells are ideal) and wait for it to cool. Before serving, dice some mature cheddar and mix that in. I say do it just before serving because I'm not sure whether it will keep very well for four days otherwise. If thats too much hassle then I suggest adding in some dressing but I find I don't need any with the cheese. This is the basis of my diet so enjoy :). I love it because it is easy, quick and tastes good! What more could want? I don't know the exact measurements though because I just do it by eye each time.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I think I sent this to you Meg. I thought I'd post it anyway since I'm making it for a picnic this weekend.

Shoe Peg Salad

1 can shoe peg corn
1 can French style green beans
1 can peas
1 c. chopped celery
1 onion, chopped fine
1 jar pimentos
1 green pepper, chopped
3/4 c. sugar (Splenda works great too for those avoiding sugar)
2/3 c. vinegar
1/2 c. oil
1 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper

Drain vegetables. Add the next 4 items with the vegtables in a large bowl; mix well. Bring to boil the sugar, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Boil about a minute. Cool. Pour over vegetables. Mix well. Cover and put in refrigerator overnight. Mix well before serving.