• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord, not Savior, at the heart of the gospel of Jesus

Niatero

*banned*
In my understanding, the gospel of Jesus is about Him being our Lord and the Lord of God's kingdom, a person to serve and obey above all others, learning to live the way He says to live. I'm thinking that making it all about salvation hides that from people, diverts their attention from it, and even repels them away from learning about it, or anything else about Him and what He wants for us.

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I've often stated his life should be celebrated more than his death, for his life is the real lesson.

Niatero

*banned*
I've often stated his life should be celebrated more than his death, for his life is the real lesson.
Thank you. I'm curious though, what are some examples in the gospel stories of how He lives His life, for us to follow? One example I can think of is associating with people outside of his race and religion. I'm not sure we could find many examples of him showing us in his own actions how to live the way he tells us to live. Healing people, but most of us don't know how to do that, unless -- wait. It could be like washing the feed of the twelve. Not that he's saying to go around literally washing people's feet. It's to illustrate the attitude that we should have. The healing could be like that too. We don't have the power to heal people physically the way he does, but we can learn to be a friend to them in ways that help reduce the damage from all the cruelty, violence and oppression in the world.

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Thank you. I'm curious though, what are some examples in the gospel stories of how He lives His life, for us to follow? One example I can think of is associating with people outside of his race and religion. I'm not sure we could find many examples of him showing us in his own actions how to live the way he tells us to live. Healing people, but most of us don't know how to do that, unless -- wait. It could be like washing the feed of the twelve. Not that he's saying to go around literally washing people's feet. It's to illustrate the attitude that we should have. The healing could be like that too. We don't have the power to heal people physically the way he does, but we can learn to be a friend to them in ways that help reduce the damage from all the cruelty, violence and oppression in the world.
I think you've answered your own question. Be humble and kind (he washed feet), help others succeed (he multipled wine, fishes, and bread for gatherings), be encouraging and believe in the goodness of others (he recognized the Centurion's faith, he saw the good in prostitutes, the thief on the cross, etc., and though he said it would be easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter heaven, he said all things are possible with God.)

Edited to add: And kindness is a great healer, so we too can be physicians -- of the spirit.

Last edited: