• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord Shiva In Buddhism

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
My first venture into this forum...

I was looking for a thread about it and couldn't find one, so if I build it...they will come...:yes:

Anyway, I was raised in Bali, Indonesia (mostly), spending my childhood in constant commute between that island, and Sydney, Australia.

Whilst in Bali, I had the opportunity of studying (and joining) their religion, which is known as Agama Hindu Dharma (in contrast to Sanatana Dharma).

The religion in Bali is very unusual. Balinese are 'Hindu' in name only, as the religion is a very potent and heady blend of Shaivite Hinduism, Shinto Buddhism, Tantra and Tribal Animism. It's like a 'religion unto itself'.

I very quickly adapted to it...and because the Agama tradition has no real deity(ies) and/or statues and pictorial references thereof, I started worshiping the only form of Lord Shiva that was 'available' to me at the time - Kala Bhairava.

The image of Bhairava can be found on or near most Hindu Temples in Bali. This Avatar of Lord Shiva is a 'temple protector' and 'well-wisher', warding off evil and evil influence, just like the Gargoyles do in the Western World. They look really menacing and evil themselves to destroy the 'greater evil' (ignorance and delusion). There were also a lot of stray dogs hanging around Bhairava's statue...

It was around this same time, I started to read the whole 'Evans-Wentz series' - The Tibetan Book Of The Dead, The Tibetan Book Of Living And Dying and the Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation (why this thread appears in the Buddhist Forum and not the Hindu one). It was then, as a young adult, I made a startling discovery....

Bhairava (avatar of Lord Shiva) is known in Buddhism as Mahakala or in combined form as Kala Bhairava.

To take this one step further and accounting for differences in regional dialect (approached this from a linguist point of view), Bhairava/Bhairo = Vairochana/Vairo...yup, some Buddhists worship Lord Shiva!

Here are two pictures from Buddhism and Hinduism. The first is Mahakala, the second is Bhairava:

MahakalaSm.jpg

KalaBhairavDarbarSquare.jpg

Mahakala is the 'father of time' and the literal translation is 'the Great Black'. He is the image seen atop Lord Nataraja's dancing statue. He oversees all existence.

Whilst researching this topic, I came across one passage on Wikia, explaining to the letter why it is I worship Lord Shiva in this form:

Mahākāla is typically black in color. Just as all colors are absorbed and dissolved into black, all names and forms are said to melt into those of Mahakala, symbolizing his all-embracing, comprehensive nature. Black can also represent the total absence of color, and again in this case it signifies the nature of Mahakala as ultimate or absolute reality. This principle is known in Sanskrit as "nirguna", beyond all quality and form, and it is typified by both interpretations.

Here is the full article:
Mah

So, I think I'll end it here now...please comment and give your ideas and I shall add more to this later.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Bhairava is common in South IndianTamil temples (also based on Agamas) as well, as the gatekeeper. I see Him every morning at the temple I attend. But we don't consider him an avatar, but an aspect.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Bhairava is common in South IndianTamil temples (also based on Agamas) as well, as the gatekeeper. I see Him every morning at the temple I attend. But we don't consider him an avatar, but an aspect.
Yes...rightly so.

I just used the term 'avatar' for ease of reference, because it's difficult to explain the relationship between Bhairava and Shiva. One may even go as far as to equate Bhairava with Veerabadhra.

Lord Bhairava can be both aspect and substratum....both effulgent and hidden.

I also really like the 'gatekeeper' reference and this just fits Him so well. Not only is this aspect of Shiva 'gatekeeper' to all the temples, but also the 'gatekeeper' to higher states of consciousness. He protects the 'keys to realization'.

However, the striking similarities between this aspect of Shiva in both Hinduism and Buddhism is astounding and what finally and firmly cemented my relationship with Him.

The only other Deity that 'fits the mold' here, is a female representation called Dakini/Tara. This is yet another 'meeting point' between Hinduism and Buddhism.

Dakini is the 'Guardian Goddess' of the Muladhara Chakra...the seat of Kundalini Shakti. When this becomes 'woven into the tale' there is absolutely no difference between esoteric Buddhism and esoteric Hinduism.

In my fancies, I like to think of Shiva as Kala Bhairava and Kali as Bhairavi or Dakini...the union of which in the Sahasrara Chakra leads to Nirvana.

Also, just as Mahakala is the 'master of time', His 'better half', Mahakali is the 'mistress of effect'. This is how I have reconciled it within myself.

What I have stated above is my core beliefs surrounding the merger of Hinduism and Buddhism.

The rest of it, I leave up to Advaita and even incorporate the Buddhist elements of 'mindfulness' and 'compassion' into it.

So, when it all boils down, there's not much difference on this level.

Om Bhatuk Bhairavaye Namah!

Last edited:

apophenia

When I was about 18 I ate some magic mushrooms and lay down in a small cave near a river. In my minds eye I began to see forms just like this, except that they were like 'line drawings', or laser projections, and animated.

I know that these mushrooms are also popular in Bali, at least with tourists, but no doubt some locals have eaten them over the centuries.

The Tibetans have a name for displays of archetypal mind - sem yid. They were way ahead of Carl Jung.;)

So maybe, for reasons which will probably never be explained, the archetype of Mahakala is occasionally perceived by shroomsters.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
When I was about 18 I ate some magic mushrooms and lay down in a small cave near a river. In my minds eye I began to see forms just like this, except that they were like 'line drawings', or laser projections, and animated.

I know that these mushrooms are also popular in Bali, at least with tourists, but no doubt some locals have eaten them over the centuries.

The Tibetans have a name for displays of archetypal mind - sem yid. They were way ahead of Carl Jung.;)

So maybe, for reasons which will probably never be explained, the archetype of Mahakala is occasionally perceived by shroomsters.
I have partaken of 'magic mushrooms' only twice in my life (when I was 19).

The first time, I was in Bali and just ate them to 'see what happened' and everything became just so surreal, like it was shining from within and it felt like I was walking on two feet thick foam rubber...after that, came endless laughing at people's distorted faces (my own voice and laughing strangely felt like it didn't belong to me) and then, I became slightly paranoid, before lapsing into semi-sleep and having visions like kaleidoscopic stained glass windows...like I was in a huge cathedral somewhere...then I just fell asleep.

The second time was in Java...and this was the best time!

I took 6 caps (Copelandia Cyanescens) with me on a day trip out to Borobodur temple in Central Java.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borobudur

After reading and studying Buddha's life-story, via the carved pictagrams, I reached the summit, sat beside the tallest Stupa and dropped the 'shrooms...yeah, I felt the energy of the 'ley lines' the Temple was built on just coursing right through me, before going into a deep meditation for 6 hours. It was the most amazing, intense meditation of my whole life!

After that, I decided I never wanted to do that ever again....wow, just wow!

I can understand the image of Bhairava appearing in a trip...I really can!

I decided to approach it more from a scholarly aspect after that and try to translate the Vijnana Bhairava Tantra myself when I wasn't 'on another planet'.

Yeah, it's like this, isn't it? (if one can understand and translate this image, they will know Bhairava):

bhairava.jpg

I also don't know if we should really be discussing 'shrooms - I don't think we are allowed to, so I won't anymore.

Last edited:

apophenia

After reading and studying Buddha's life-story, via the carved pictagrams, I reached the summit, sat beside the tallest Stupa and dropped the 'shrooms...yeah, I felt the energy of the 'ley lines' the Temple was built on just coursing right through me, before going into a deep meditation for 6 hours. It was the most amazing, intense meditation of my whole life!

You sure did that the right way. :)

After that, I decided I never wanted to do that ever again....wow, just wow!

Very good call.

Let's never discuss it again ... ;)

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Awesome!

Yes, I have told the tale and there it ends.

One can see how much 'weird stuff' has gone on in my life though, leading up to this point.

I have always and I mean always had this thing for 'altered states of consciousness' - ever since I saw Thaipusam in Malaysia first-hand as a child and from there, sat in on many a fire-walk and saw/experienced a lot of 'mind over matter' stuff.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/7317/thaipusam3.jpg

Not to mention this one time (I was 16) I saw a Chi master grab two cups of water at room temperature (I felt the water beforehand) and in one hand, he made the water near boiling point and in the other hand near freezing point...I was taught about the Ida and Pingala Nadis...months later, that same Chi master totally cured a sprained wrist I had in about 5 minutes....his hands felt like hot irons.

Then, there was this old Hindu shaman (dukun) I met...who knew everything about me...even calling me by name when there wasn't any way he could have ever known it...he also saw the 'light of Siwa' surrounding me...that was comforting.

Not to count the many 'coincidences' that just kept on happening over and over - like losing things only to find them in a totally different place I have never been before. It was at that point, I realised I was just a 'puppet' like those I saw on the screen...

Then, I had those experiences described above.

It was like I have been 'groomed from birth' for this somehow and there was absolutely no doubt this would become a huge part of my life later on.

This has nothing to do with the topic either, but I thought I'd include it for a bit of further 'background' to the whole thing.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I've felt a strong pull to Shiva for a while. Back when I first started exploring other religions and went into Hinduism for a bit, I felt very attracted to Shiva. I particularly like Bhairava as well.

I once had a little experience with Shiva in the temple at Batu Caves. I was just walking around, felt very different, and sort of anxious, being a foreigner and whatnot. I walked around and contemplated whether these deities were real or symbolic. So, I was in the temple at the foot of the caves and saw the writing on the wall that said "Shiva -->" pointing up some stairs. I humourously thought to myself "oh hey, Shiva is upstairs, haha, im gonna go see him". Of course all the "deities" where behind curtains and only the Brahmins went inside, so I just hung around his shrine-thing for a few minutes. I had something weighing on me, I dont remember what it was, so I decided to ask Shiva. At the time, and still, I didn't really know how Shiva exists, is he a sort of symbolic, archetypal "aspect" or a being that exists and has it's own experiences like I appear to have? Well, I remember that I got a feeling after asking that question that felt different than self-induced feelings and it sort of answered that question for me and gave me some relief. It didnt feel like it came from my conscious mind.

In the past, anything relating to Shiva has served to force me through fears and discomforts and, on the other hand, my rudraksha mala relieves the discomfort in my chest when I have anxiety. There's definitely something to it, though I still dont know what. Anyway, I love Shiva for whatever it is and still have a strong attraction to it though I am not a theist and practice Buddhism. I currently like to relate the idea of Shiva being like Samantabhadra in the Dzogchen traditions, but that is surely subject to change.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That looks like that would be quite an experience there.

Watcher or doer? At Batu caves it has become almost a spectator sport, I think. Not sure though, as I have never been there. But still an amazing spectator sport. originally Kavadi was intended originally as a fairly small and personal deal, but public to friends and acquaintances. But this is way off topic.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Watcher or doer? At Batu caves it has become almost a spectator sport, I think. Not sure though, as I have never been there. But still an amazing spectator sport. originally Kavadi was intended originally as a fairly small and personal deal, but public to friends and acquaintances. But this is way off topic.

It would probably be interesting as a participant or an observer.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It would probably be interesting as a participant or an observer.

No doubt. I am not sure of the spectator to participant ratio. Rough guess would be 200 to 1, based on a million people to 5000 bearers. But surely to participate would hold great interest. Make sure you do a head count if you go. :)

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
No doubt. I am not sure of the spectator to participant ratio. Rough guess would be 200 to 1, based on a million people to 5000 bearers. But surely to participate would hold great interest. Make sure you do a head count if you go. :)

If I happen to be in the area, i'll probably try to make it there.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Mahakala is the 'father of time' and the literal translation is 'the Great Black'. He is the image seen atop Lord Nataraja's dancing statue. He oversees all existence.
NYK, it is not 'great black' (Mahā Kālā, Kālā - Black), but one who is greater than time, Mahā Kāl. However, all of our Gods are Mahā Kālās (great blacks), be it Shiva, Vishnu, Rama, or Krishna; and a Goddess too. Of course, you know all about them. :)

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram NYK ji :namaste

..please comment and give your ideas and I shall add more to this later.

with all due respects if this is the gaurdian you refer to it is chepu not mahakala many nepalese buddhist and hindu iconography have cheppu in the position of guardian you seee him also above temple doorways .

antiquated_nataraja_zj49.jpg

ratikala

Istha gosthi
images
cheppu as a gaurdian above a small personal shrine ...

mahakala I will return to this evening ...

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram NYK ji :namaste

please comment and give your ideas and I shall add more to this later.

within buddhiam there are many forms of Mahakala the form I am most familiar with is the six armed wrathfull form of the peacefull Chenreizig (Avelokitesvara)the bodhisatva of compassion .

in visualisation practice we are taught to envisage peacefull Chenreizig sitting on a lotus seat , mala in hand gently turning and chanting for the benifit of mankind .
upon seeing the suffering in the world chenreizig malla begins to turn faster and faster and his white figure begins to turn dark untill his peacfull form takes on the wrathfull form of Mahakala and Chenreizig's crystal mala turns into a mala of furiously whorling skulls , one hand holds the damaru , the double headed drum which emits the primordial sound of the universe which arrouses us from the sleep of ignorance , the tricdent represents the three jewels buddha dharma and sanga and a noose for capturing those who have strayed from dharma , the central hands hold the skull cap and kalpa knife which represent the severing of ignorance and obsticals . ...thus he is the destroyer of ignorance .

mahakala_thanka_12152a.jpg