• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lucy (Movie)

Nimos

Just watched it again and thought I would recommend it to people here that haven't seen it.

It is an intellectual action movie where they play with the idea of what would happen if humans could use 100% of their brain capacity. It is very rare I think you have an action movie where the action part is the least interesting. To me, it is the intellectual part of it seeing how it changes as more and more brain capacity is being used.
And it does raise some philosophical questions as well that I think are interesting as well.

So if you are bored and haven't seen it, it is well worth it I think :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Just watched it again and thought I would recommend it to people here that haven't seen it.

It is an intellectual action movie where they play with the idea of what would happen if humans could use 100% of their brain capacity. It is very rare I think you have an action movie where the action part is the least interesting. To me, it is the intellectual part of it seeing how it changes as more and more brain capacity is being used.
And it does raise some philosophical questions as well that I think are interesting as well.

The children have it on DVD so I've seen it a couple of times, usually on wet Sunday afternoons by the fire with the family. I think it's one of the better movies they force me to watch ;-)

MikeF

Premium Member

It's funny coincidence as I just rewatched this movie last night. I enjoyed the action and was able to suspend disbelief in the premise of the movie enough to enjoy the movie in its entirety, but I couldn't help chuckle at what I considered to be weak pseudointellectualism.

Nimos

It's funny coincidence as I just rewatched this movie last night. I enjoyed the action and was able to suspend disbelief in the premise of the movie enough to enjoy the movie in its entirety, but I couldn't help chuckle at what I considered to be weak pseudointellectualism.
Not that I have examined how much it is based on actual science (if at all) my guess is that it is highly speculative :D

MikeF

Premium Member
She is in it as well, so partly correct :D

Seems the message is that if we could only unlock all of our brain's capacity we will become gods. There was an overt nod to Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam where modern Lucy goes back in time to Australopithecus Lucy and they both extend their index fingers to touch. This also evoked the image from 2001 A Space Odyssey where early hominids come across the black obelisk. Both, I think are supposed to imply a transfer of intellectual spark that then separated early man from animals.

Of course, the whole concept of our only using 10% of our brains is simply a very persistent myth. :)

Nimos

Seems the message is that if we could only unlock all of our brain's capacity we will become gods. There was an overt nod to Michelangelo's The Creation of Adam where modern Lucy goes back in time to Australopithecus Lucy and they both extend their index fingers to touch. This also evoked the image from 2001 A Space Odyssey where early hominids come across the black obelisk. Both, I think are supposed to imply a transfer of intellectual spark that then separated early man from animals.

Of course, the whole concept of our only using 10% of our brains is simply a very persistent myth. :)
Agree, assuming the movie got the facts 100% correct :D

It is an interesting thought nonetheless. If you had something or someone with super intelligence what could it achieve? Could it bend physical laws etc.

I wished they would have spent more time on this rather than all the pointless action, which I think it becomes rather quickly, it seems like it just needs to be there to be an action movie. But given her powers, there is never a feeling of her being even remotely threatened.

An interesting movie that I would also recommend is "The Man from Earth" if you haven't seen it.

Besides the trailer (And yes it looks slightly boring :D) I don't want to say anything, and if you have seen it, don't spoil it for others who haven't. If they again are bored and want to see something interesting.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Agree, assuming the movie got the facts 100% correct :D

It is an interesting thought nonetheless. If you had something or someone with super intelligence what could it achieve? Could it bend physical laws etc.

I wished they would have spent more time on this rather than all the pointless action, which I think it becomes rather quickly, it seems like it just needs to be there to be an action movie. But given her powers, there is never a feeling of her being even remotely threatened.

An interesting movie that I would also recommend is "The Man from Earth" if you haven't seen it.

Besides the trailer (And yes it looks slightly boring :D) I don't want to say anything, and if you have seen it, don't spoil it for others who haven't. If they again are bored and want to see something interesting.

Wow, I've seen a lot of this thread. I've seen the lucy fossil and now the opening pic of your clip. The cro magnon cave paintings at Lascaux.