• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayhem In Bethlehem

Police had to break up a brawl which centered on a dispute about whose god is the true god. The police made no arrests because they said all of those involved were "Men Of God."

Does anyone else see the irony in that?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
You know, there is no point posting such a post without a source or a link or actually explaining what it is that you discuss.

Scuffles have broken out between rival groups of Greek Orthodox and Armenian clerics in a turf war at Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity.

Bemused tourists looked on as about 100 priests fought with brooms while cleaning the church in preparation for Orthodox Christmas, on 7 January.

Palestinian police armed with batons and shields broke up the clashes

Link to full article: BBC News - Priests brawl in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You know, there is no point posting such a post without a source or a link or actually explaining what it is that you discuss.
Link to full article: BBC News - Priests brawl in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity
Geeze, not again! They did this at least once before.
("Mayhem in Bethlehem".....Cute!)

Of course, a limerick resulted.

The night before Christmas, a sacred memorial
saw dark figures lurking, all conspiratorial
Sabres were rattled!
Warriors battled!
With courage & faith over things janitorial.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Its actually pretty sad. according to Christian tradition these are considered the holiest sites to Christianity. Bethlehem is where Jesus was born, and this time of year commemorates his birth.
I guess the New Testament was right when it said that God doesn't dwell in temples made by men. but still where is the show of example.

JMR105

Absolutely despicable. If they were behaving like that on a football terrace, they would be branded 'animals' and rightly so!

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I find it very pathetic. Another show of how folk allow denominational, and theological difference keeping them from truly living what they preach.

Renji

If Jesus is here right now, he might have called them hypocrites. Oh well, perhaps he's having a face palm in heaven right now though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Its actually pretty sad. according to Christian tradition these are considered the holiest sites to Christianity. Bethlehem is where Jesus was born, and this time of year commemorates his birth.
I guess the New Testament was right when it said that God doesn't dwell in temples made by men. but still where is the show of example.
There is no greater comedy than the joining of the most holy & the most profane.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The holiest site is separated into different 'areas' of the church for each christian denomination.

One cult sect stepped over their boundaries and this is what you get. More proof that religion is the root of all evil.

Grow up people, religion has served it's purpose in the history of humanity, these days people aren't dumb. Well some are..

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
[youtube]Efd7DIG-OGs[/youtube]
Riot at the birthplace of Jesus - YouTube

Needs sports commentators, jumbotron, and a scoreboard. I can't tell who's winning.

*And the Orthodox get the upper hand only to reach in and foul! Oh! Now the refs are really breaking this one up! There are going to be season fines and suspensions this time folks! We'll have to sort through this fracas at sports center later. I can't even tell if there will be a play of the game this time.*

Aren't the two churches the Armenian Orthodox and the Greek Orthodox in here?

I find this quite silly as this is nothing but a broom brawl... And as Gabrielwithoutwings had said, they definitely like to make sure each of them keep to their own sides... XD

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Aren't the two churches the Armenian Orthodox and the Greek Orthodox in here?

I find this quite silly as this is nothing but a broom brawl... And as Gabrielwithoutwings had said, they definitely like to make sure each of them keep to their own sides... XD

Greek Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic and Catholics. And it's the Palestinian Police "mediating". Wow. :p

[youtube]shFA_H8e11E[/youtube]