• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation Tips?

I've been meditating every day for a few weeks now. I used to only do it once or twice a week but now I'm trying to establish a routine. My problem is that my mind drifts off into different directions when meditating. I have random thoughts and I can't concentrate.
I would greatly appreciate if you could give me advice on this and maybe share your method of meditation.

Thank You.

Bhava

When you find the thoughts coming, simply let them come, run their course, and then leave.

Making a conscious effort to suppress thoughts when meditating is the worst thing you can do in the situation, because it just puts more thoughts on top of the existing ones.

It also gives you practice to not give attention to these thoughts, as it strengthens your ability to meditate in less-than-perfect situations. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
When you find the thoughts coming, simply let them come, run their course, and then leave.

Making a conscious effort to suppress thoughts when meditating is the worst thing you can do in the situation, because it just puts more thoughts on top of the existing ones.

It also gives you practice to not give attention to these thoughts, as it strengthens your ability to meditate in less-than-perfect situations. :)
I agree. One should just expect them to arise, as they will. Never get into a "seek and destroy" mode or feel that you are "doing something wrong". When you notice the thoughts, simply go back to the meditation - rinse and repeat. The trick is to not get hung up on it.

anadi

on the way
Thoughts mainly arise because of desires.
True success in meditation is impossible without cultivating non-attachment.
So you have to work on that part of the Dharma too if you want to still the mind
Actually I think that could be even more important than actually practising a lot of meditation.
The mind must be purified, then concentration comes by itself.
So don't forget to cultivate a pure mind all the time, because what happens in meditation is a reflection of your desires, attachments, etc.

You could also try doing some breathing exercises, use a mantra,
audible objects of meditation (like singing bowls, those are very calming to the mind, at least to mine),
or try meditating in nature, or at night... experiment with all sorts of varieties and see what works for you.

stillsong

The Dalai Lama shows how one can direct the mind to positive activity that develops compassion. Wisdom alone without compassion is not complete.

Generating the Mind for Enlightenment

For those who admire the spiritual ideals of the Eight verses on Transforming the Mind it is helpful to recite the following verses for generating the mind for enlightenment. Practicing Buddhists should recite the verses and reflect upon the meaning of the words, while trying to enhance their altruism and compassion. Those of you who are practitioners of other religious traditions can draw from your own spiritual teachings, and try to commit yourselves to cultivating altruistic thoughts in pursuit of the altruistic ideal.

With a wish to free all beings
I shall always go for refuge
to the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha
until I reach full enlightenment.

Enthused by wisdom and compassion,
today in the Buddha’s presence
I generate the Mind for Full Awakening
for the benefit of all sentient beings.

As long as space endures,
as long as sentient being remain,
until then, may I too remain
and dispel the miseries of the world.
In conclusion, those who like myself, consider themselves to be followers of Buddha, should practice as much as we can. To followers of other religious traditions, I would like to say, “Please practice your own religion seriously and sincerely.” And to non-believers, I request you to try to be warm-hearted. I ask this of you because these mental attitudes actually bring us happiness. As I have mentioned before, taking care of others actually benefits you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've been meditating every day for a few weeks now. I used to only do it once or twice a week but now I'm trying to establish a routine. My problem is that my mind drifts off into different directions when meditating. I have random thoughts and I can't concentrate.
I would greatly appreciate if you could give me advice on this and maybe share your method of meditation.

Thank You.
Yes. Notice the monkey. Then let him play till he gets tired.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
What Bhava and Ymir said. Just let things go their way and don't get caught up in it. And if you catch yourself getting caught up in it, just relax and go back to the practice. If you beat yourself up over getting caught up in it, you just getting more caught up in it :D

Don't play in traffic, just watch it.

stillsong

Most of the techniques for eastern meditation are a lever to pry away the concepts we cling to. But it is so easy if we let go and experience what is happening in this moment.
Thank you for sharing your viewpoint.

stillsong

I do not see in a quick browsing of anyone mentioning counting of the breath techniques

Zazen Instructions | Zen Mountain Monastery
scroll down or CTRL F and search for Practicing the Breath

or a similar technique
Breathing: Three Exercises - Dr. Weil
scroll down or CTRL F and search for breath counting

The important thing is to not judge but if you lose the count just begin at one again. The object is not successful counting, but instead the focus of awareness to a point of awareness even in the midst of thoughts.

stillsong

You mean the thoughts leaving?
When you do the counting, the focus is on the breathing and the counting so the thoughts diminish in importance.
Or let thoughts flow by as you sit on the river bank watching them go by with no loss as they slip out of sight.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I would recommend getting some face-to-face instruction and advice on meditation, it's quite difficult learning it from a book or the internet. And there are many different approaches and nuances.
Beyond that my advice would be to keep it simple. If you're watching the breath, just do that. Relax and enjoy the breath. When thoughts arise gently return to the breath. And so on.
There are aids like counting the breath or using a mantra, but honestly I think they are more trouble than they're worth.

chinu

chinu

Thank You.
Do you care to tell me what you want to achieve by meditation ?

von bek

A good place to start is the Buddha's instructions on mindfulness of breathing from the Anapanasati Sutta:

"Now how is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit?

[1] Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.

"[1] Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' [2] Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' [3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.'[2] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire body.' [4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

That is just the beginning of the discourse. You can read the rest here: Anapanasati Sutta: Mindfulness of Breathing

stillsong

A simpler method for initial purposes is to count silently (internally) while breathing. 1 is inhale, 2 is exhale, 3 inhale , 4 exhale etc to 10. If you get off the count go back to one. Don't worry it happens. I have been aware of losing the count at 22! lol
The point is not to master counting or breathing but just to develop a habit that you can use at other times of the day when intrusive thoughts try to disrupt you.
A good start is to find a quiet place where you can be comfortable and undisturbed for 10-20 minutes in the morning and again at night and begin the breathing and counting.
Of course reading Buddhist texts can be instructive and help deepen your understanding, but the practice of breathing and mindfulness will "carry you across the river"
You can choose whichever mode of Buddhism you feel kinship with or none of them. What matters is pure intention of the heart and a commitment to keep progressing.
Someone asked what you could gain from meditation. What can you gain from painting a canvas or singing a song. For the pure joy is reason enough to practice.
If you are looking to gain something, start a business. If you are looking to awaken a connection with consciousness, meditate.

Banjankri

Thank You.
You noticed correctly that your problems comes from drifting mind. The simple question that should follow is, why does it drift off? It drifts off, because those distractive thoughts are more appealing to you then your meditation. No wonder... It's more interesting to think, then to follow your breathing, especially when there are no direct effects perceived.
It will always be like that, unless you find an object of meditation that your mind enjoys more then distractive thoughts. Ofc, You can try to force discipline, but it will not differ from trying to forget that you left milk on your cooker.
An object that is more appealing to you then anything else is your self. Moreover, it dose not conflict with your thoughts, as it is the very basis of them.
So, think about yourself (as a whole), and focus on the feeling that accompanies this thought. It will be easy and pleasant.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you care to tell me what you want to achieve by meditation ?
An important question.
I've been meditating every day for a few weeks now. I used to only do it once or twice a week but now I'm trying to establish a routine. My problem is that my mind drifts off into different directions when meditating. I have random thoughts and I can't concentrate. I would greatly appreciate if you could give me advice on this and maybe share your method of meditation.
A suggestion. Give yourself an anchor in meditation. Decide that you would think about one aspect when you are able to quieten (as they say) the monkey brain, or the flitting thoughts. Then breath slowly and calmly. Let the flitting thought cross your mind but do not dwell on them, like you would treat a troll in a forum. When you are at ease, consider that aspect. Perhaps that would help. A vacuous meditation may not click.