• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball"

Rakhel

I hardly hear anyone say white trash unless they think that white person is trying to act "ghetto" I have heard "ghetto" and "black girl attitude" used negatively way more.
"white trash" has always been synonymous with "trailer trash" or "hillbilly." At least that is what I always hear.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The criticism that she is a **** and "wannabe ghetto trash" is unwarranted. I understand she is having fun but she actually thinks she is in the same league as all of the above but saying things like "i may be from the country but I can twerk!" no girl you can't.

Britney got a lot of criticism for a long time. But she's still putting hits out with the same formula. And that woman does not have her head screwed on straight (in my opinion). Dropping her baby, driving with a baby in her lap, how she went about shaving her head, going after paparazzi with an umbrella, dating Kevin Federline, and she's not that great of a singer.

But she's also one of the top-selling female teen-pop entertainers. She knows the formula and works it really really well. She makes over $50 million a year. A year.

Miley is using the same formula, I think. Britney can't sing. Miley can't twerk. Madonna can't play guitar. Beyonce can't lip sync (had to throw that in there lol). But these are pop divas, and Miley found out that working the same formula will get her work and a cash flow.

Wherenextcolumbus

Britney got a lot of criticism for a long time. But she's still putting hits out with the same formula. And that woman does not have her head screwed on straight (in my opinion). Dropping her baby, driving with a baby in her lap, how she went about shaving her head, going after paparazzi with an umbrella, dating Kevin Federline, and she's not that great of a singer.

Yeah but I don't care about Miley's personal life I'm talking about her performances. Most if not all female celebrates get criticised over anything and everything

Miley is using the same formula, I think. Britney can't sing. Miley can't twerk. Madonna can't play guitar. Beyonce can't lip sync (had to throw that in there lol). But these are pop divas, and Miley found out that working the same formula will get her work and a cash flow.

Of course and like I said she can market "twerking" to white audience and make a lot of money that way.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
"white trash" has always been synonymous with "trailer trash" or "hillbilly." At least that is what I always hear.

White trash, trailer trash, hillbilly, redneck, Nascar-watching, mullet-wearing, nasty-*** oversized t-shirts whooping and hollering to gunfire with their hunting dogs chained up in the back yard and smoking on their porch next to the Rebel flag duct-taped to the trailer.

Not to mention the dishes are all plastic cups saved from the local gas station.

That's the stereotype.

Wherenextcolumbus

and I'm not saying white people should be like this and black people should be like that, I'm saying something that was created by people of colour can become more mainstream or popular or "cool" or acceptable, when a white person takes it and uses it. That's what I was saying, I don't know how people got "black people should only market to black audiences from that."

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Yeah but I don't care about Miley's personal life I'm talking about her performances. Most if not all female celebrates get criticised over anything and everything

Of course and like I said she can market "twerking" to white audience and make a lot of money that way.

She wasn't the first to do it, either. Are we talking past each other? :p

Beyonce marketed bootylicious and seriously popping those hips in her "Crazy" video to white audiences as well, and made a lot of money too.

I think Miley isn't just marketing twerking, though. Her previous video was all about partying overall, sex and drugs and hanging out on a bed of bread.

Wherenextcolumbus

White trash, trailer trash, hillbilly, redneck, Nascar-watching, mullet-wearing, nasty-*** oversized t-shirts whooping and hollering to gunfire with their hunting dogs chained up in the back yard and smoking on their porch next to the Rebel flag duct-taped to the trailer.

Not to mention the dishes are all plastic cups saved from the local gas station.

That's the stereotype.

So basically are you talking about this...Christina Aguilera pretenidng to be a broke working class person again.
[youtube]6cfCgLgiFDM[/youtube]
Christina Aguilera - Your Body - YouTube

Wherenextcolumbus

She wasn't the first to do it, either. Are we talking past each other? :p

Beyonce marketed bootylicious and seriously popping those hips in her "Crazy" video to white audiences as well, and made a lot of money too.

I think Miley isn't just marketing twerking, though. Her previous video was all about partying overall, sex and drugs and hanging out on a bed of bread.

How does beyonce market herself to a white audience though? I'm not saying she doesn't have a lot of white fans but a lot of her dance moves are taken from African and African Caribbean cultures and she features mostly other black people in her video and in her performances.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3498605 said:
It's is funny how a thread in "Games/Pics/Jokes/Stories" is being treated as if it's otherwise.
There's no tell'n where a thread will lead.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Wrecking Ball is an appalling video: no hard hat, no steel toecaps.. no safety equipment at all.

She's giving all the wrong messages to today's youth about building site health & safety.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
How does beyonce market herself to a white audience though? I'm not saying she doesn't have a lot of white fans but a lot of her dance moves are taken from African and African Caribbean cultures and she features mostly other black people in her video and in her performances.

I don't think you fully understand American culture, Horrorble and I don't present that disrespectfully. You're placing more racial emphasis here, than need be.

Wherenextcolumbus

I don't think you fully understand American culture, Horrorble and I don't present that disrespectfully. You're placing more racial emphasis here, than need be.

erm yes I know that! What I'm saying is Beyonce definitely has never tried to appeal to mostly white people. I think she has mostly been marketed to other black women from watching her music videos and performances, that's not to say I don't know that she has a lot of white female fans, I know she does!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
and I'm not saying white people should be like this and black people should be like that, I'm saying something that was created by people of colour can become more mainstream or popular or "cool" or acceptable, when a white person takes it and uses it. That's what I was saying, I don't know how people got "black people should only market to black audiences from that."

Did you watch the video I posted? "Tootsie Roll" was wildly popular 20 years ago, and hardly any white people in the video. And Miami bass sounds weren't the first contributions by black artists to be successful in mainstream audiences. '70s funk. '60s Motown. Jazz. Speakeasys.

What I do get is that the contributions to culture isn't credited often enough to black artists, or that the music and the dancing isn't considered as mainstream as much as it is, or even if it isn't "more genuine" genres of music and dancing. How often do we hear that rap and hip hop isn't considered "real" music, or that "twerking" isn't considered "real" dancing? I hear it, and I hear it a lot. But I assume many would agree that rap, hip hop, and twerking found its roots in black culture.

It's difficult, I think. The genre or hip hop dancing can't find critical legitimacy through black artists, it also can't find critical legitimacy through white artists. It can find popularity, but that creates the kinds of discussions and debates we're having right now. Who can twerk? How should it be done? When should it be done? Is it respectable?

Sorry...I think I'm derailing the thread. LOL. I got a lot to say about "urban" style dancing, and how a lot of professional dancers will embrace it (though they will lack confidence in it), but a lot of audiences turn their noses up at it. All while funneling money into artists who exhibit it. It's wild.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
erm yes I know that! What I'm saying is Beyonce definitely has never tried to appeal to mostly white people. I think she has mostly been marketed to other black women from watching her music videos and performances, that's not to say I don't know that she has a lot of white female fans, I know she does!

I don't think she's purposefully trying to appeal to any race. That's what I'm trying to say. There are audiences in America who like particular types of music and those artists are of various cultural backgrounds.

Beyonce doesn't necessarily HAVE to go out of her way to appeal to a certain racial group. Her music is widely accepted by a diverse fan base. She's sold herself because she's very talented.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Unfortunately (and I really do think its unfortunate), mainstream is considered white. Beyonce has worked very hard to be a mainstream pop artist and entertainer. Her best ghetto cred that she's got is that she married Jay-Z, who IMO is the reigning king of rap, and where the vast majority of his song releases never made it to mainstream audiences.

I *heart* Beyonce, by the way. I went through a minor obsession with her a few years ago where I totally had a crush on her. :bow: