• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball"

freethinker44

So basically are you talking about this...Christina Aguilera pretenidng to be a broke working class person again.

This is wannabe white trash.

This is real white trash.

219.jpg

Notice the garbage bags filled with clothes in the rear window. At least, I'm assuming they are clothes, if I know white trash right, there is a pretty good chance it is actually garbage.

Wherenextcolumbus

Did you watch the video I posted? "Tootsie Roll" was wildly popular 20 years ago, and hardly any white people in the video. And Miami bass sounds weren't the first contributions by black artists to be successful in mainstream audiences. '70s funk. '60s Motown. Jazz. Speakeasys.

Yes I did watch the video, what I am saying is white people can use their privilege to take things from other cultures and make them trendy and more acceptable, like the bindi, native american headdresses, rock n roll etc. And make money out of it, by selling it back to white people. I didn't hear so much talk about twerking until Miley came along.

Wherenextcolumbus

This is wannabe white trash.

This is real white trash.

219.jpg

Notice the garbage bags filled with clothes in the rear window. At least, I'm assuming they are clothes, if I know white trash right, there is a pretty good chance it is actually garbage.

We know a white person is driving that thing?

Wherenextcolumbus

Her best ghetto cred that she's got is that she married Jay-Z, who IMO is the reigning king of rap, and where the vast majority of his song releases never made it to mainstream audiences.

But Eminem's did, see what I'm saying? Or only if the video features women basically stripping like what 50 cent did.

Draka

Wonder Woman
How does beyonce market herself to a white audience though? I'm not saying she doesn't have a lot of white fans but a lot of her dance moves are taken from African and African Caribbean cultures and she features mostly other black people in her video and in her performances.

Perhaps it has more to do with who is auditioning for her performances than who she is seeking out? She doesn't seem to have issues with performing with white dancers at all.

[youtube]x8e5pvBqgjE[/youtube]

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
But Eminem's did, see what I'm saying? Or only if the video features women basically stripping like what 50 cent did.

Eminem had to bust his butt to get his start and to be supported by Dr. Dre. He earned his stripes and was considered legit in the rap industry well before he was "Slim Shady" to the general public. He gained notoriety for his controversial lyrics.

Kid Rock was working his way up in rap culture for years until Vanilla Ice stormed onto the scene and stole a lot of thunder. It pushed Kid's career back several years, and Ice was a one-hit wonder and has been considered a joke by much of mainstream since.

Teena Marie was a respected artist on the R&B charts and surprised a lot of people when it was discovered she was white. Her picture never appeared on the cover of her album, and blacks were shocked that she understood soul and executed it so well.

But there hasn't been as many whites who could demonstrate the skills that typically are developed in much of black culture. As you could see, there are whites that just can't twerk. But there ARE whites out there who CAN twerk up a storm. I think it's been established that Miley has a difficult time twerking. I bet you anything that Britney Spears can twerk, though.

I think also that people are talking about twerking more after Miley's performance because her number was so weird and tweet-worthy. It was part of the conversation. Along with Robin Thicke in the Beetlejuice suit and the flat-butt memes that circulated social media. I don't think her show was promoting twerking and that she is making money off of it. She's much more about provocative partying culture, which is what the kids like to talk about more.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
With Miley's VMA performance I did..I cringed.It wasn't because it was too sexual or "vulgar'(that was not even "sensual" by the way more like idiotic)...its just because IMHO there was no real talent involved ..not that i could see.It just was not 'entertaining" beyond making fun of it.All the way down to the costume.It to me was ugly and unflattering to her figure.But again the "dancing" if you can call it that?I can see something like that at some of my family events after everyone is plastered at 2 am in the morning.

Walking back and forth really fast , bending over sticking your *** in the air, sticking a giant sponge hand in between your legs like its a penis sticking out humping the air ...and hanging your(LARGE) tongue out and rolling your eyes in the back of your head like you are having a gran mall seizure or you are the exorcist ...I don't know..I did not see the "sex appeal' in that act.The word.."silly"(or train wreck or "spazmadic)) is more like it.Maybe she wasn't trying to be 'sexy" I don't know..but if she was she missed the mark..(for me anyway).

Wherenextcolumbus

Perhaps it has more to do with who is auditioning for her performances than who she is seeking out? She doesn't seem to have issues with performing with white dancers at all.

[youtube]x8e5pvBqgjE[/youtube]

I never said she has issues with performing with white dancers like "omg i have dance with a whote person" I'm talking about performances like this which are clearing black African inspired. She definetly appeals her music to black women.
[youtube]7J1B-RaHQtQ[/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1B-RaHQtQ

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball - YouTube

All I got to say is..Wtf?

I was told by my friend, Charlene, that the only reason Miley is doing this is because she doesn't want to be known as a Disney person anymore. She doesn't want her videos on Disney Channel anymore. She wants to be an adult.
My mom and I think that there are better ways on proving you're an adult than going around naked and twerking on married men. :facepalm:

Looks like a goofy video to me.

I really do like that hair style though.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I never said she has issues with performing with white dancers like "omg i have dance with a whote person" I'm talking about performances like this which are clearing black African inspired. She definetly appeals her music to black women.
[youtube]7J1B-RaHQtQ[/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7J1B-RaHQtQ

I think she's brilliant.

If a white artist successfully performed this, is she using her white privilege? Is she a brilliant artist? Or is she just trying to be black?

I'm trying to understand your position. I keep thinking we're talking past each other. I see racism that is still pervasive in the arts and in entertainment, but not in the way that is being presented or how i'm interpreting your argument. I see racism more in how whites will continue to insist that rap or hip hop really isn't a legitimate form of music. Or that hip hop dancing isn't really a legitimate form of dance.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I honestly thought it was beautiful.

All of it. The contrast of the song with the video was beautiful. The rawness of her passion and sexuality was beautiful and if you lost the symbolism of how passionate she was to an object of destruction then I dont know what to tell you.

It was really beautiful. Sure, everyone got their tastes, but I feel absolutely non of the nudity was gratuitious.

To me, it was perfect.

Wherenextcolumbus

I think she's brilliant.

If a white artist successfully performed this, is she using her white privilege? Is she a brilliant artist? Or is she just trying to be black?

I'm trying to understand your position. I keep thinking we're talking past each other. I see racism that is still pervasive in the arts and in entertainment, but not in the way that is being presented or how i'm interpreting your argument. I see racism more in how whites will continue to insist that rap or hip hop really isn't a legitimate form of music. Or that hip hop dancing isn't really a legitimate form of dance.

I'm saying people of colour have had to struggle more in white dominated fields than people like elvis, or miley when taking music or whatever from other cultures.
Black musicians have often through out history been encouraged to market their music to white people and perform for white people in order to be successful. Hip hop in fact was rebelling against that because you have people like 2 Pac who made their music specifically for other black people and became successful in the own right, marketing their music to black people and writing about black people.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm saying people of colour have had to struggle more in white dominated fields than people like elvis, or miley when taking music or whatever from other cultures.
Black musicians have often through out history been encouraged to market their music to white people and perform for white people in order to be successful. Hip hop in fact was rebelling against that because you have people like 2 Pac who made their music specifically for other black people and became successful in the own right, marketing their music to black people and writing about black people.

All of that sounds right, but I wonder what does it have to do with the thread?

Then again, this is in the jokes section :D no idea why though.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

All of it. The contrast of the song with the video was beautiful. The rawness of her passion and sexuality was beautiful and if you lost the symbolism of how passionate she was to an object of destruction then I dont know what to tell you.

It was really beautiful. Sure, everyone got their tastes, but I feel absolutely non of the nudity was gratuitious.

To me, it was perfect.

Your reputation just dropped tenfold after this post. Just sayin'.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

To me, it was perfect.

I don't disagree. I think Miley's child-star status colors a lot of people's perspectives on her work. And I don't have a problem with nudity in music videos.

Madonna was not only naked in "Express Yourself", but she grabbed her crotch! :eek:

I remember how that was debated and she was reamed forever and a day while the entire message of the video was completely lost on the public. Funny how time will remove the shock and stigma and we're left with something entirely different, now.

[youtube]IxNBaoWrbzs[/youtube]
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IxNBaoWrbzs

Me Myself

Back to my username
Your reputation just dropped tenfold after this post. Just sayin'.

Meh.

I say what I feel I dont compromise.

I dont understand what is all the fuzz with the video. I agree with mystic itust be because of her former persona, because that is very far away from being "the worst" or something on evil nudity or sexuality around music and stuff.

While I have no doubt she knew it will call a lot of attention and I am sure she loved the shock value, everything I see there still feels perfect for the song..