• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball"

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm saying people of colour have had to struggle more in white dominated fields than people like elvis, or miley when taking music or whatever from other cultures.

And what makes the distinction between "taking" music from other cultures, or "executing" the cultural skills that exists?

Black musicians have often through out history been encouraged to market their music to white people and perform for white people in order to be successful.

And there has been a hell of a lot of abuse throughout the industry's history because of the black-minstrel-syndrome. I don't deny that black artists have been exploited for the talents they have that appeal to white audiences through history.

Hip hop in fact was rebelling against that because you have people like 2 Pac who made their music specifically for other black people and became successful in the own right, marketing their music to black people and writing about black people.

2Pac was extremely popular with white audiences. Extremely popular when he was alive. Biggie was, too (I was more of a Biggie fan, myself). Heck, N.W.A. and Eazy-E tapes were well-worn out in the cars I'd drive and cruise with back in the day. Kool Moe Dee, Ice T, etc. all who were passionate about displaying their music with how they experienced black culture and ghetto culture...they all found success with white audiences, too.

I do want to be careful with making sure the distinction exists between black artists who are exploited and black artists whose works appeal to all audiences because of their talent....as well as making the distinction between white artists who "take" or "steal" aspects of black culture and white artists who are successful with executing skills typically associated with black culture.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
2Pac was extremely popular with white audiences. Extremely popular when he was alive.

I love/ed Tupac ....guess what so did my sister AND my mother! LOL>>>we had this b-day cake made for her...and we are whities..I liked Biggie too..

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
2Pac was extremely popular with white audiences. Extremely popular when he was alive. Biggie was, too (I was more of a Biggie fan, myself). Heck, N.W.A. and Eazy-E tapes were well-worn out in the cars I'd drive and cruise with back in the day. Kool Moe Dee, Ice T, etc. all who were passionate about displaying their music with how they experienced black culture and ghetto culture...they all found success with white audiences, too.

Ironically, for some reason, the following was very popular with white audiences as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]eJfmEsXTgO8[/youtube]

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't disagree. I think Miley's child-star status colors a lot of people's perspectives on her work. And I don't have a problem with nudity in music videos.

That's true, however there is more to it than that.

I am not from USA, and Hannah Montana ( i actually had to check the spelling just now ) was pretty much inexpressive on my country.

'Wrecking Ball' still looks silly to me...

Wherenextcolumbus

I do want to be careful with making sure the distinction exists between black artists who are exploited and black artists whose works appeal to all audiences because of their talent....as well as making the distinction between white artists who "take" or "steal" aspects of black culture and white artists who are successful with executing skills typically associated with black culture.
My point was that people like 2pac wrote/write their music without a white audience in mind. Their music may appeal to white people but they wrote their music so black people could actually relate to it.
And this is where some white people get confused about why they can't use the word "*****" but black artists can its because those black artists never wrote their music for you, even if you happen to like it, duh!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The song was good I thought but yeah...the riding the wrecking ball nude and licking the hammer I saw as more "humorous" than moving or sensual.To me it looks like a joke..goofy.If she is trying to be taken seriously shes not doing very well IMHO or else so many people would not be laughing their heads off at some of her antics.Or even just 'confused" ..like what the heck ?

Me Myself

Back to my username
My point was that people like 2pac wrote/write their music without a white audience in mind. Their music may appeal to white people but they wrote their music so black people could actually relate to it.
And this is where some white people get confused about why they can't use the word "*****" but black artists can its because those black artists never wrote their music for you, even if you happen to like it, duh!

Saying white people cant say ni!!!! Is just plain racist.

Like, literaly racist. Like, the actual meaining of the word racist.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Also, black artists that had mainly a black audience in mind I cant imagine them upset because more people hear their music. Unless we are talking about a racist black artist of course.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
African Americans don't have a license on twerking, you know?

In fact lOL>>>>after I figured out what the word meant and looked up some examples I figured I was 'twerking' 25 years ago all on my own just naturally.i just called it "humping the air" LOL>>>>

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
My point was that people like 2pac wrote/write their music without a white audience in mind.

Knowing the 90s Hip Hop Scene better than most on RF (except I.S.L.A.M.617 - him and I have had many discourses on 90s Hip Hop - which was known as the Golden Era), I can safely state that you are correct: such forms of hip-hop were poetic expressions towards other African Americans. They were concentrating on a "black audience" more than a "white audience".

For example: the following was dedicated to African Americans but ended up becoming very popular with a white audience (which was highly ironic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]6AKy5NmP9og[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]JdJgVf4l1A0[/youtube]

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I get your point, but I'm trying to expand so there is a distinction made with successful white artists who have "soul" (so to speak). I understand why whites using the n-word is taboo (as well it should be), while blacks using it is culturally more acceptable, since we're dealing with the history of the usage of the word and societal "in-groups" and "out-groups."

What is the distinction with whites "taking" black culture? Is there ever a respectable white rap artist in your opinion? Or are all white rap artists only exploiting black culture to make money?

I think this was part of the reason why Rahkel made her thread that was spun off this. I'm still trying to get where there are white artists who are not "taking" bits of black culture and making money off it, thereby exploiting black culture that might be considered sacrosanct.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

How do you know that these black artists aren't pleased that their music has touched people of other ethnicities, because now others can better understand their struggles, through their art?

Often performers credit other performers for their musical influence. White male rappers OFTEN credit African American rappers as influence. They ACKNOWLEDGE where their musical influences came from and many grew up poor and downtrodden as well. They identify with this music, just in a different way, but it helps to bring people together through better understanding.

I think you miss a lot about American culture and the beauty that often people of different ethnicities experience when they BOND through music, dance and other art forms. Art is often a common thread, regardless as to WHO the intended audience is. Who cares? Art can promote inclusivity, even if it's not the intention.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
In fact lOL>>>>after I figured out what the word meant and looked up some examples I figured I was 'twerking' 25 years ago all on my own just naturally.i just called it "humping the air" LOL>>>>

Well yeah. What people are calling "twerking" is what we were doing many years ago. We just called it something different. I called it "popping that ***". :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't get. I never have and I don't think I ever will. That is, the constant critiquing of her. She really isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. If she hadn't been painted with a certain persona by Disney for so many years no one would have anything to compare to. There would be no "old Miley" and no "new Miley". There has only ever been her. The facade that has been perpetrated around her for years when younger was just that, a facade. She is just being her and doing what so many have done before.

I think one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on a youtube comment was someone saying that if she was doing pop in a respectable manner it wouldn't be so bad. I nearly died laughing. "Respectable" pop? People, let us remember that pop is what has given us such grand performances from artists such as Madonna, Cher, Britney, David Bowie, George Michael, Lady GaGa and many others. Half to completely naked gyrations and sexual undertones seems to be bar for the course. Whoopty-doo.

I believe there may be a lot of reasons that people see her different than those others: the main one being that she used to be sort of an idol for young girls and those young girls still want to watch her. Sure Madonna did it, but she didn't start out on some kid's show on the Disney channel. The same can be said about the others or most of the others you listed. .

She is an adult, now, and what she is doing is for adults, not for kids. There should be some kind of warning (well, there has been now).

The thing is that people who have no talent do that sort of things to sell their records. As far as I could tell, Miley does have potential and she doesn't need to deliberately shock people to sell her records and whatever. (I am not a fan, but my daughter used to be).

Wherenextcolumbus

I get your point, but I'm trying to expand so there is a distinction made with successful white artists who have "soul" (so to speak). I understand why whites using the n-word is taboo (as well it should be), while blacks using it is culturally more acceptable, since we're dealing with the history of the usage of the word and societal "in-groups" and "out-groups."

What is the distinction with whites "taking" black culture? Is there ever a respectable white rap artist in your opinion? Or are all white rap artists only exploiting black culture to make money?

I think this was part of the reason why Rahkel made her thread that was spun off this. I'm still trying to get where there are white artists who are not "taking" bits of black culture and making money off it, thereby exploiting black culture that might be considered sacrosanct.

I'm not giving my opinion on who is respectable and who isn't, my point is whilst people of colour have had to struggle to get into white dominated fields, white people have found it easy to make money off other cultures. And I can see other examples of this sorts of thing, the history of black people being presented as undesirable with big features, and then Angela Jolie comes along and "omg god she has big lips, she's so beautiful" so it's more acceptable when it's on a white person.
It's taken a long history of struggle to come to a point where a woman like beyonce is desirable and a standard of beauty.