• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball"

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'm skillful with my whip. What can I say? :beach:

Wait, can your husband go to the beach? ( I am referring to the smile )
I mean, won't people find it weird when they see the marks?
Or...are the marks on a place hidden from plain sight? :eek:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
On a serious note now: That happens, probably, because people don't tend to get a compliment for doing what they are expected to do.

In our cultures, it is expected that married women will perform these tasks.

Perhaps. Typically I don't get praise just for working. I get some oohs and aahs because I own a business. But I'd been working for a while, and when I held a corporate job for a couple of years, I or my husband never heard any major compliments that I was working a good job, though in our culture it's expected that a husband has a job.

I don't know about other women or men. But typically I haven't heard the compliments when I do something unexpected in the job market. :shrug:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Wait, can your husband go to the beach? ( I am referring to the smile )
I mean, won't people find it weird when they see the marks?
Or...are the marks on a place hidden from plain sight? :eek:

I'll save all this for the Eros Room.

Wherenextcolumbus

O.K I can agree to that.I just wouldn't go from there to "discrediting" these artist as somehow "undeserving" of their recognition simply because they were inspired by black artistic culture and its more difficult for black people to hit as wide an audience.I think that's a separate issue.The goal with be how to bridge the gap not restrict what would be considered black originated 'art" to only black people are permitted to sell it.

And I wouldn't go as far as to think they being white had nothing to do with their success.
It's not nice to be discredited though right? Lets think about how that happens to non whites all the time.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
If anything more so that her "latching ' on so to speak to twerking (and by the way as I said Im white and I was twerking before it was "cool" and I did not learn it from black culture)..anyway is that she is ONLY getting all this attention and opportunities because she was a famous childhood star NOT because of any real talent .And that she seems to resent the very reason anyone would even watch one of her very mediocre at best and highly idiotic videos in the first place.

Oh wait her dad is famous isn't he? Ok so she has 2 very "lucky' reasons that anyone would spend more than about 10 seconds watching her perform let alone sit through the whole thing .

Maybe Im spoiled..Im into really good music talented singers and watching talented dancing (that I can't do myself without even practicing ) and entertainment like cirque du soleil.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Perhaps. Typically I don't get praise just for working. I get some oohs and aahs because I own a business. But I'd been working for a while, and when I held a corporate job for a couple of years, I or my husband never heard any major compliments that I was working a good job, though in our culture it's expected that a husband has a job.

I don't know about other women or men. But typically I haven't heard the compliments when I do something unexpected in the job market. :shrug:

Perhaps society got used to women doing these jobs. Or perhaps, we have a lot of envious people hanging around...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
And I wouldn't go as far as to think they being white had nothing to do with their success.

Look here is all Im saying ..Im white..and I can half *** twerk..and I can croak out a halfway decent song hell if I practice hard enough I can stumble over a rap song.. But i would be FAR from earning ANY money doing it let alone be highly succesful.

So I guess the question would be how MUCH would being white have to do with these people with enormous talent have to do with their success? You can say you wouldn't go so far as saying it had "nothing to do with it" and I have no problem agreeing that its NOT AS DIFFICULT if you are white...Discrimination exist in our society no doubt.But I guess I'm having an issue with why that would be the emphasis when it comes to talent?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think Sharon Osbourne made this point on The Talk, but the fact is, the kids that grew up watching her show were growing up with her, the same basic age as her. They are mostly around her age as well. I think we are dealing with parents mostly that just expect her to remain Hannah frickin Montana forever. You're not seeing a huge backlash from the former kids who use to watch Hannah Montana, you're seeing judgmental parents flippin wigs because, like OMG, Hannah's not a sweet little Disney girl anymore.

The show is still running in reruns and there are kids who are still watching it. My daughter, who started this thread, is 15 years old.

freethinker44

Instead of a dance studio, tell people you're a master mechanic and you run a garage and then see what their reaction is. I bet you get the same type of comments your husband gets for doing laundry.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Instead of a dance studio, tell people you're a master mechanic and you run a garage and then see what their reaction is. I bet you get the same type of comments your husband gets for doing laundry.

LOL I should give that a shot and see what happens.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If anything more so that her "latching ' on so to speak to twerking (and by the way as I said Im white and I was twerking before it was "cool" and I did not learn it from black culture)..anyway is that she is ONLY getting all this attention and opportunities because she was a famous childhood star NOT because of any real talent .And that she seems to resent the very reason anyone would even watch one of her very mediocre at best and highly idiotic videos in the first place.

Oh wait her dad is famous isn't he? Ok so she has 2 very "lucky' reasons that anyone would spend more than about 10 seconds watching her perform let alone sit through the whole thing .

Maybe Im spoiled..Im into really good music talented singers and watching talented dancing (that I can't do myself without even practicing ) and entertainment like cirque du soleil.

Nah. I think you're among the many who in certain circles don't want to give the impression that anything in pop culture is at all enjoyable or attractive. It's not that you're spoiled (I enjoy Cirque, too, and have a good friend who worked in their shows for years). But it's very easy to hate on pop stars and deride them for having no talent. Especially here on RF.

It's kind of like everybody here who hates any beer not made in a microbrewery, and especially hates Budweiser beer and sees it as having no taste, is a corporate watered-down producer of "beer", and embarrasses the industry. But there's friends I have had visit from Germany who have been taken to local microbreweries in the hopes that we can impress them with local artisan beer, and they wind up asking for Budweiser.

And they all say, "What's with people around here hating Budweiser? It's at least as good as other pale ales." :D

I wouldn't call it spoiled so much as not wanting to look like one of the herd. That's all. I wouldn't say Miley has no talent. She's got some good stuff out there (watch her backyard sessions on youtube). I tell people who think Lady Gaga has no talent to go watch her early piano sessions on youtube before she became Gaga and then decide whether or not she has absolutely no talent.

Which goes back to the comments I hear from time to time from people who speak out about hip hop as not really being dance. That hip hop dancers are not talented like ballet dancers. It's wild....I find more snubbing from non dancers and no snubbing at all from ballet dancers themselves when it comes to hip hop dancing.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Nah. I think you're among the many who in certain circles don't want to give the impression that anything in pop culture is at all enjoyable or attractive.

Well LOL!! You would be wrong..I fully enjoy pop culture ..when its involving something I find enjoyable and attractive.When I detect an ounce of talent.I have a broad range of taste in music from old to new ...I don't stick with one type and one era...I'm not afraid of new..and different..I will still puke when a dime a dozen performer that I can compete with is presented as something unique or special above most others just because she lucked out...

Oh and I for one never said Lady Gaga had no talent.In fact I think she might be a genius .

Miley wishes she could be her and that's boring to watch.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
[youtube]My2FRPA3Gf8[/youtube]
Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball - YouTube

All I got to say is..Wtf?

I was told by my friend, Charlene, that the only reason Miley is doing this is because she doesn't want to be known as a Disney person anymore. She doesn't want her videos on Disney Channel anymore. She wants to be an adult.
My mom and I think that there are better ways on proving you're an adult than going around naked and twerking on married men. :facepalm:

If I was a family member, I would be genuinely concerned about what is going on with her right now. There is a difference between trying to break a mould and just doing anything and everything raunchy and seemingly outrageous. I wouldnt be surprised if she just burnt out and is having some sort of break down.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Which goes back to the comments I hear from time to time from people who speak out about hip hop as not really being dance. That hip hop dancers are not talented like ballet dancers. It's wild.

I for one? Have never eluded to or said such a thing.Please don't compare that i think Miley Cyris (as she is now) is at best mediocre and more like a joke if not just boring to someone else saying hip hop takes no talent and isn't really dancing.

I think Miley Cyris sucks so I'm like the "people" that say hip isn't dance?

Me Myself

Back to my username
The parallel, I think, is when men are appreciated a lot more when they take care of kids or do housework. I think it's hilarious when people find out my husband does the laundry and shops for groceries and cleans the bathroom...and people are all like "WOW! That's so cool that he contibutes so much!" Even though I'd been doing stuff like that for ages and don't get so much as even a passing nod from the same people. :D

Tell them you repair broken mechanical stuff around the house when they get broken. The funny thing is, I would expects the comments to have to do with him again there, just not in a good way :D

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
If I was a family member, I would be genuinely concerned about what is going on with her right now. There is a difference between trying to break a mould and just doing anything and everything raunchy and seemingly outrageous. I wouldnt be surprised if she just burnt out and is having some sort of break down.

But ...but...she is making a lOT of money!

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why cant you see beauty in raw sexuality?

No, that wasnt sarcastic at all. I am seriously asking. She made a cool conceptual stuff that included raw sexual actions on her part all relevant to the message.

I understand if you dont like it, or even find it horrible or boring or whatever, but isnt it completely condescending to assume she is uncreative or that it most be bad because you dont find the beauty of it?

I mean, sure, I say stuff I dont like is awful and e people who ve done it where cruel monsters and all, but I am joking when I do that. Do you seriously beleive such things here?

I do find it dissapointing.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

I just tell people Im a domestic prostitute.That way they have nothing really to say. Just a blank confused looking stare and they go away.