• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mitzvah Moments: everything you want to know about Jews including the two kitchen sinks.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think this forum would be a wonderful place to have a casual discussion about Jews and Judaism. Within that very broad category, ask anything you wish, anything you have ever wondered about.

Ideas might be:
  • Are Jews an ethnicity or a religious group.
  • What does it mean to keep the Shabbat (sabbath).
  • What does "kosher" mean, and what are its rules.
  • What sacred books do Jews have.
  • What holy days..
  • What is tzedakah and how is it different from charity.
  • At the synagogue, how do Jews pray and what kinds of rituals are there.
  • How do Jews observe Life Cycle events like birth, coming of age, marriage, death.
  • What happened in Jewish history between the return from captivity and the beginning of Christianity.
  • How has Judaism continued to develop in the last 2000 years.
  • What are the different groups of Jews.
  • What are the different movements of Judaism.
  • Antisemitism and the Holocaust.
  • How do Jews see other religions.
  • What makes a person a Jew.
  • What are some of the yiddish words that have made it into English.
  • Jewish food: what is your favorite recipe for challah.
LOL you get the idea. Ask away...

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Can you tell me about how Shabbat is observed?
Good topic :)

The commandment to keep the Shabbat is mentioned two different places in the Torah:
Exodus 20:8-11
8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it."
Deuteronomy 5:12-15
12 "Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you.
13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
14 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you.
15 And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day."

So primarily, the sabbath is a day to refrain from work. It is not a day set aside for worship -- Jews worship every day. Religious Jews make a special point to attend synagogue on the Shabbat, but it is really avoiding work that is the core of Shabbat.

So the question becomes, What is work? I will address this in the next post.

IndigoChild5559

@JustGeorge

Is doing the dishes work? What about caring for children? How about mowing your lawn? Until recently in history, Jews lived in Jewish communities where Jewish law was enforced. If it is going to be illegal to break the Shabbat, then there must be agreement on what forms of work are prohibited. It wouldn't work out for one person to define work as X, and another as Y.

So the rabbis sat down, and this is what they came up with. We see from reading the Torah that God commanded all work on the Tabernacle to stop for Shabbat. So the rabbis asked themselves, "What were the labors that it took to build the Tabernacle?" They made a list of 39 forbidden labors:
  • Sowing (Zorea) – Planting seeds or promoting plant growth.
  • Plowing (Choresh) – Preparing the ground for planting.
  • Reaping (Kotzer) – Cutting or gathering crops or plants.
  • Binding Sheaves (Me'amer) – Gathering natural products into bundles.
  • Threshing (Dash) – Separating grain from husks or other parts of the plant.
  • Winnowing (Zoreh) – Separating grain from chaff using wind.
  • Selecting (Borer) – Sorting or separating unwanted items from wanted ones.
  • Grinding (Tochen) – Grinding grain or other substances into powder or flour.
  • Sifting (Meraked) – Separating fine particles from coarse ones, typically using a sieve.
  • Kneading (Lash) – Combining flour and water or other materials to make dough.
  • Baking (Ofeh) – Cooking or baking by using heat.
  • Shearing Wool (Gozez) – Cutting or removing wool from animals.
  • Scouring (Cleaning) Wool (Melaben) – Cleaning or bleaching wool.
  • Carding Wool (Menapetz) – Untangling and straightening fibers of wool or other materials.
  • Dyeing (Tzovea) – Coloring wool, fabric, or other materials.
  • Spinning (Toveh) – Twisting fibers into thread or yarn.
  • Warping (Mesach) – Setting up the threads on a loom for weaving.
  • Making Two Loops (Oseh Shtei Batei Nirin) – Preparing threads for weaving by creating two loops.
  • Weaving (Oreig) – Interlacing threads to make fabric.
  • Separating Two Threads (Potei'ah) – Separating threads that are tangled or knotted.
  • Tying a Knot (Kosher) – Making a permanent knot.
  • Untying a Knot (Matir) – Undoing a permanent knot.
  • Sewing (Tofer) – Stitching or sewing two pieces of material together.
  • Tearing (Kore'a) – Tearing fabric or other materials with the intent to sew.
  • Trapping (Tzad) – Capturing animals.
  • Slaughtering (Shochet) – Killing animals for food.
  • Flaying (Maf****) – Removing the skin from an animal.
  • Tanning (Me'abeid) – Processing hides to make leather.
  • Smoothing (Memachek) – Scraping hides to make them smooth.
  • Marking (Mesartet) – Drawing lines or making marks to guide cutting.
  • Cutting to Shape (Mechatech) – Cutting materials into specific shapes.
  • Writing (Kotev) – Writing two or more letters.
  • Erasing (Mochek) – Erasing for the purpose of writing two letters.
  • Building (Boneh) – Constructing or assembling structures.
  • Demolishing (Soter) – Tearing down structures.
  • Kindling (Mav'ir) – Lighting a fire or causing something to burn.
  • Extinguishing (Mechabeh) – Putting out a fire or reducing its intensity.
  • Finishing a Product (Makeh B'patish) – Completing the final step in making an object.
  • Carrying (Hotza'ah) – Carrying objects from one domain to another, particularly from a private domain to a public one, or vice versa.

Now now that we've discussed what is prohibited, let's look at the positive side of Shabbat, what IS done. I will address this in my next post.

IndigoChild5559

@JustGeorge

We begin preparing for Shabbat in advance. I do my shopping on Thursday, and cleaning and cooking on Friday.

Shabbat begins Friday at sundown, and just so that we don't get stuck being late due to some sort of emergency, we begin it 18 minutes before sunset. The woman of the home ushers in the Shabbat by lighting candles. I've just been running around the last two days feverishly preparing, and then when I light those candles, a Peace descends upon the home.

1723696480808.png

A big part of Shabbat is the Shabbat Table: a huge meal, often with guests. This was a big thing for me when I was younger. I had a beautiful white tablecloth and used my best dishes. I am reminded of the children's song: The sabbath table is like a princess dressed in white; she wear a crown jeweled candles sparkling bright.

The meal began with the blessings over the wine and challah (braided egg bread). We call that Kiddush.

1723697219871.png

My courses were fish first (usually salmon or gefilte fish), soup (usually matzo ball or chicken), salad, a main course of meat and vegetables (chicken or brisket were favorites), and a dairy free dessert. I always made an abundance so that everyone could eat to their heart's content and there would be leftovers. It was a joyful gathering. We would sing songs and talk Torah until late into the night.

1723697097203.png

If I wasn't the one doing the cooking, I would attend a Shabbat service at the synagogue. It is customary for men to wear kippot (skull caps) although it is not typical for men to wear tallitot (prayer shawls) during the Friday evening Shabbat service. The prayers and psalms are sung in Hebrew. In the front is the ark which contains the Torah scrolls. We "dress" these scrolls and place a "crown" on them, to show how much we reverence them. If you are interested in me going into more detail about the prayer service, let me know.

In my next post, I will discuss the next day.

1723698173561.png

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
@JustGeorge

We begin preparing for Shabbat in advance. I do my shopping on Thursday, and cleaning and cooking on Friday.

Shabbat beings Friday at sundown, and just so that we don't get stuck being late due to some sort of emergency, we begin it 18 minutes before sunset. The woman of the home ushers in the Shabbat by lighting candles. I've just been running around the last two days feverishly preparing, and then when I light those candles, a Peace descends upon the home.

View attachment 95712

A big part of Shabbat is the Shabbat Table: a huge meal, often with guests. This was a big thing for me when I was younger. I had a beautiful white tablecloth and used my best dishes. I am reminded of the children's song: The sabbath table is like a princess dressed in white; she wear a crown jeweled candles sparkling bright.

The meal began with the blessings over the wine and challah (braided egg bread). We call that Kiddush.

View attachment 95714

My courses were fish first (usually salmon or gefilte fish), soup (usually matzo ball or chicken), salad, a main course of meat and vegetables (chicken or brisket were favorites), and a dairy free dessert. I always made an abundance so that everyone could eat to their heart's content and there would be leftovers. It was a joyful gathering. We would sing songs and talk Torah until late into the night.

View attachment 95713

If I wasn't the one doing the cooking, I would attend a Shabbat service at the synagogue. It is customary for men to wear kippot (skull caps) although it is not typical for men to wear tallitot (prayer shawls) during the Friday evening Shabbat service. The prayers and psalms are sung in Hebrew. In the front is the ark which contains the Torah scrolls. We "dress" these scrolls and place a "crown" on them, to show how much we reverence them. If you are interested in me going into more detail about the prayer service, let me know.

In my next post, I will discuss the next day.

View attachment 95715
I love your description here. :)

IndigoChild5559

@JustGeorge

Saturday is a full and joyous day. In the morning there is another Shabbat service at the synagogue. When I attended Chabad, they would have a huge oneg afterwards (meaning a big communal meal). Other places, the rabbi would make sure every Jew had a home to go to for another festive meal.

You'll remember that cooking is forbidden on the Shabbat, as is lighting or extinguishing a flame. However, we can work around this by cooking something before Friday sundown, and simply keeping it warm throughout shabbat. This is done one of two ways. The first is a traditional blech -- a flat surface heated with a gentle flame. The second is the modern crock pot. One of the traditional warm foods for Saturday is called "cholent". It is a traditional Jewish stew often made with beans, meat, potatoes, and various seasonings.

1723698820136.png

In the afternoon, many synagogues offer classes. This helps keep the "spirit of Shabbat" and helps to pass the time.

It wouldn't be Shabbat if I didn't have my afternoon nap!

I know the day ends at sundown, but we Jews have a hard time letting go of Shabbat, so we stretch it into twilight. And when we do say goodbye to the Sabbath Bride, we have yet another festive ritual. This one is called Havdalah. There is a threefold blessing: one over wine (which represent the joy and sanctity of Shabbat), one over aromatic spices (to remind us of the sweetness of Shabbat), and one over a "torch" aka a braided candle that burns very brightly. The lighting of this braided candle uses the distinction between light and dark to symbolize the distinction between sacred time (Shabbat) and normal time. With that lighting, Shabbat is formally ended.

1723699589347.png

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
@JustGeorge

Saturday is a full and joyous day. In the morning there is another Shabbat service at the synagogue. When I attended Chabad, they would have a huge oneg afterwards (meaning a big communal meal). Other places, the rabbi would make sure every Jew had a home to go to for another festive meal.

You'll remember that cooking is forbidden on the Shabbat, as is lighting or extinguishing a flame. However, we can work around this by cooking something before Friday sundown, and simply keeping it warm throughout shabbat. This is done one of two ways. The first is a traditional blech -- a flat surface heated with a gentle flame. The second is the modern crock pot. One of the traditional warm foods for Saturday is called "cholent". It is a traditional Jewish stew often made with beans, meat, potatoes, and various seasonings.

View attachment 95716

In the afternoon, many synagogues offer classes. This helps keep the "spirit of Shabbat" and helps to pass the time.

It wouldn't be Shabbat if I didn't have my afternoon nap!

I know the day ends at sundown, but we Jews have a hard time letting go of Shabbat, so we stretch it into twilight. And when we do say goodbye to the Sabbath Bride, we have yet another festive ritual. This one is called Havdalah. There is a threefold blessing: one over wine (which represent the joy and sanctity of Shabbat), one over aromatic spices (to remind us of the sweetness of Shabbat), and one over a "torch" aka a braided candle that burns very brightly. The lighting of this braided candle uses the distinction between light and dark to symbolize the distinction between sacred time (Shabbat) and normal time. With that lighting, Shabbat is formally ended.

View attachment 95717
Thank you so much for sharing this. :)

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member
What are the rituals at the synagogue...I've heard of the Cantor. What are the titles of others at the services? Do Jews believe in the 'Soul'?
Do Jews believe these rules or customs were initiated by your Deity? What word is permitted to be used for your Deity's name? Do Jews even now obstain from eating ham? I've witnessed Muslim parents favor male children more than female. Do Jewish families favor male children?
Do Jews believe Moses authored the Torah? Do or did Jews believe the Arch of the Covenant had special powers?

IndigoChild5559

What are the rituals at the synagogue...I've heard of the Cantor. What are the titles of others at the services? Do Jews believe in the 'Soul'?
Do Jews believe these rules or customs were initiated by your Deity? What word is permitted to be used for your Deity's name? Do Jews even now obstain from eating ham? I've witnessed Muslim parents favor male children more than female. Do Jewish families favor male children?
Do Jews believe Moses authored the Torah? Do or did Jews believe the Arch of the Covenant had special powers?
I'm going to deal with each of these questions in a separate post. In this particular post, I want to address the problem with the question, "What do Jews believe."

There are really very few things all religious Jews share in common.
  • We believe in a pure, absolute monotheism, meaning we believe in One God, who is not i.e. divided into or expressed as different persons. This was best articulated by Maimonides in his 13 principles of the Jewish faith.
  • We all accept the same sacred texts: the Tanakh (Torah, Prophets, and Writings), the Talmud, and the writings of the sages (including but not limited to the Mishneh Torah, the Zohar, and the Shulchan Aruch), although how we understand these texts varies between Jews.
  • We all accept the imperative to a moral, ethical way of living as the core of Judaism.
  • We all observe the major Jewish holy days such as the Shabbat, Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Hanukkah, etc., although the manner of observance may differ.
  • We all pray.

However, there is a joke about "Two Jews, three opinions." We have other jokes that express just how greatly we diverge on so many issues and practices.

A congregation is divided over whether they should sit or stand during the Shema. They decide to consult their rabbi for guidance.
They ask the rabbi, "Do we sit for the Shema?"
The rabbi replies, "No, that's not our tradition."
"Do we stand for the Shema?" they ask.
The rabbi responds, "No, that's not our tradition either."
The congregation, now frustrated, explains that they’re fighting over this issue and can't come to a resolution.
The rabbi smiles and says, "Ah, yes, that is our tradition!"

A Jew is stranded on a desert island and, after many years, is finally rescued. As the rescuers arrive, they see two buildings on the island. They ask the man, "What are these two buildings?"
The man replies, "Well, the first one is my synagogue where I go to pray."
"And the second one?" the rescuers ask.
The man responds, "Oh, that’s the synagogue I wouldn't be caught dead in!"

In answering each of your questions I will really make the effort to give the main points of view, but inevitably some will get left out. Keep in mind that many Jews are NOT RELIGIOUS AT ALL. Some are even atheists.

IndigoChild5559

What are the rituals at the synagogue...
Most of what we do at synagogue is pray and sing psalms. It is usually in Hebrew. I really can't do justice to the breadth, there are so many songs and prayers that I deeply love. However, I think the following are probably particularly worth noting.
  • The Lecha Dodi: This song welcomes the Sabbath Bride. In fact during one verse we actually turn and look towards the entrance and bow as if she will walk through the door (although I've heard that some places bow to the ark where the Torah scrolls are held).
  • Shalom Aleichem is a song sung to welcome the Shabbat angels.
  • Barchu is the call to prayer. (Bless the Lord, who is to be blessed.)
  • The Shema is the best known prayer: Hear O Israel, The LORD is God, the LORD is one. It is directly followed by the V'ahavta – the part of the blessing that begins "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might."
  • The Amidah, also called the Shemoneh Esrei, is the "Standing Prayer." It includes 19 benedictions, many of which are prayed silently, (some synagogues only say some of these), of which my favorite is the Kedushah (Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of hosts...). The final benediction is the Oseh Shalom, which translates as "May the One who makes peace in His heavens, may He make peace for us and for all Israel. And let us say, Amen."
  • We say Kaddish, the prayer to God on behalf of the dead.
  • On Saturday morning, there is a time called the Torah service, where we read from the Torah scrolls. A sermon is given. It is followed by the Mishaberach (a prayer for all those who are ill). Afterwards, we sing as the scroll is carried up and down the aisles and people will touch it with their tallit (prayer shawl) or siddur (prayer book) and then kiss their tallit or siddur.
  • Popular songs that end the service are Ein Keloheinu (There is none like our God, there is none like our Lord, there is none like our King, none like our Savior..), Adon Olam (Master of the universe, who reigned before any form was created, at the time when His will brought all things into being. Then, as His name is proclaimed, so shall He be acknowledged as King...), and Aleinu (It is our duty to praise the Master of all, to ascribe greatness to the Author of Creation).
After the service is over, most synagogues will have an oneg (which means joy). It can be as small as a simple kiddush, or as large as a full blown communal meal. We eat and schmooze!

It worth noting that there are some differences in traditions. For example, the Orthodox separate men from women, and sing acapella--and I'll tell you those men really sing! Reform services have mixed seating, and use instruments like a guitar or organ and can even have a choir.

IndigoChild5559

I've heard of the Cantor. What are the titles of others at the services?
The head of the synagogue is the President, who meets with the Board. He or she will also give announcements during prayer services.

We have a Rabbi, who is first and foremost an expert in Jewish law. If I have a question like, "I've just spent an hour preparing a chicken soup, and while holding and feeding the baby, a drop of its milk based formula ended up in the pan. Do I need to throw away the whole pan of soup?" I can call the Rabbi and trust that he will give me the correct answer. It is also the Rabbi who generally conducts the prayer services, and gives the sermon. He will also hold various classes at the synagogue.

In some shuls, the wife of the Rabbi aka the Rebbetzin, also gives classes on a great variety of topics, including those especially suited to women. She is involved with the charitable giving, hospitality at the shul and the Rabbi's home, and is a great "listening ear."

The Chazzan, aka the Cantor, is in charge of the music, and has many parts of the prayer service where he sings alone. It is especially common for there to be a kind of singing dialogue between him and the congregation.

It is also very common for there to be a women's group called Haddasah or Sisterhood which raises money for charities and synagogue events. Sometimes a similar men's group will exist, but it is far less common.

There are people who organize and teach religious education. Sometimes these are volunteers, but quite often are paid a modest stipend. They work very, very hard to make the lessons fun and interesting for the kids. In some synagogues, curricula are purchased. In others, the teachers create their own curricula.

IndigoChild5559

Do Jews believe these rules or customs were initiated by your Deity?
Again, there is a lot of different opinions among religious Jews, ranging from the idea that Moses literally received the Torah straight from God, to those who believe that the Torah had multiple authors and gets its authority from the common consent of the community.

Many of our traditions also come from the Rabbis. Unlike Evangelical Christians, Jews believe the Law must be interpreted, and we value this Oral
Torah, which was eventually written down as the Talmud. Many of other writings of the sages play a part is understanding the Law and giving us our traditions.

IndigoChild5559

What word is permitted to be used for your Deity's name?
I will not use the name in Hebrew as I have far too much respect for it. If we transliterate the letters, they would be YHWH. The knowledge of how to pronounce this was lost when the Temple was destroyed. Christians often pronounce it as Jehovah, but this is not the best idea since the J sound doesn't exist in Hebrew. Many scholars think that Yahweh may be how it was pronounced. While we cannot be certain what it means, many scholars say it may mean "He will be."

We consider the name of God to be so incredibly sacred, that we are reluctant to use it except for prayers and in classes where it may be necessary, such as in this post where I am answering your direct question about it. When we read the YHWH aloud in our worship texts or our Torah, we substitute Adonai (Lord) or Hashem (the Name) in order to avoid its casual use.

IndigoChild5559

Do Jews even now obstain from eating ham?
There is a group of laws pertaining to Kashrut, meaning those things that are clean aka kosher for us to eat. Here are the rules for something to be kosher, and I'm giving the Orthodox understanding. Conservatives are not quite as strict, and Reform Jews only eat kosher voluntarily.

First, there are only certain animals that are kosher, and certain ones that are not kosher.

We may eat animals that both have cloven hooves and chew their cud. The obvious examples are cattle, pigs, goats, and sheep, but we might also try more exotic animals such as giraffe. Pigs have cloven hooves but do not chew cud, so are forbidden. Rabbits chew their cud (or more accurately, they eat and ruminate their turds) so they are also not kosher.

Our seafood must have both fins and scales. That means that lobster, shrimp, crab, clams and oysters, and octopus are all out. It is worth noting that catfish, swordfish, and sharks are also not kosher because they do not have true scales that can flake off.

Birds that are commonly eaten are chicken, goose, duck, and turkey. Birds of prey and scavenger birds are forbidden.

Next, the animal must be kosher slaughtered. Only animals which are not sick, damaged, or deformed may be slaughtered. We have specialists trained in this. It involves using a super sharp knife to swiftly cut the throat including the windpipe and esophagus. This is believed to be an extremely humane way to slaughter, because the animal will bleed out so quickly that it will die in only a few seconds and not suffer.

After slaughter, the animal is bled. Its internal organs are inspected for signs of illness or abnormality. It is then washed and salted to remove any remaining blood.

Because Jacob's thigh was injured when he fought with the angel, we do not eat the hind portions. Brisket is in; top sirloin is out.

This whole process is supervised by a Rabbi and certification given. Many think the Rabbi says a special blessing, but no, that is not the case. :)

Finally, there is the prohibition of mixing meat and dairy. They may not be eaten together, cooked together, placed on the same table, washed together or stored together (some Jews even have two refrigerators and two sinks). We use two sets of dishes so that even the residuals will not cause cross contamination.

This means that for processed foods, there must once again be Rabbinical oversite and certification to assure that there was no mixing at the factory, or even the same vat or equipment used for both. A special symbol is put onto the packing stating that it is kosher. The most common are a K (for Kosher) or the O with a U inside (for Orthodox Union). If you look, you will see a kosher symbol on many breakfast cereals and other processed foods. Amy's is often the only kosher frozen food company that sells in mainstream grocery stores. Jews in Jewish neighborhoods have the luxury of stores that sell only kosher foods.

Restaurants must also be certified kosher, and almost always serve only meat dishes or diary dishes, although there are a few that have two kitchens and two dining areas.

Phew, I think I got it all. If I missed something by mistake, hopefully another Jew will add it.

IndigoChild5559

I've witnessed Muslim parents favor male children more than female. Do Jewish families favor male children?
Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. Genesis 1:28

Jewish men are required to marry and have at least one of each sex. Of course, there will be those who try but are unable to, and that's okay. The point is that's the goal.

Some Jews say the earth is now full, so the commandment is fulfilled and no longer applies.