• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

@moderators

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Hi moderators of www.religiousforums.com

I am making this open thread to interrogate you… haha not really. I just want to give the floor to you.

I am curious about the moderators. I have some questions. Please feel free to ignore or answer as many questions as you like. Also feel free to just express what you would like to express the community in general, in regards to being a moderator and all.

1. Why are you a moderator?
I have seen some of you make off comments about how the moderating position is unpaid. So, why do you do it? Is it passion? Is it to have something to do? Is it nice exercise for your brain? I am sure that moderating and corralling all of us hooligans isn’t all roses and daisies. I am sure it has its unpleasant moments. I am sure it has its tedious days. So, what is the value that you get out of moderating, personally?

2. Is there anything you would like to express to the community as a whole in regards to about you being a moderator?

@regular denizens of RF, feel free to contribute to the thread as well! Let’s keep it lighthearted!

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are you a moderator?
I have seen some of you make off comments about how the moderating position is unpaid. So, why do you do it? Is it passion? Is it to have something to do? Is it nice exercise for your brain? I am sure that moderating and corralling all of us hooligans isn’t all roses and daisies. I am sure it has its unpleasant moments. I am sure it has its tedious days. So, what is the value that you get out of moderating, personally?
It's the awesome pension plan, of course.
I haven't been too active in the public sphere of the site in the last couple of years, but I like the site in general and its mission and I see value in assisting in preserving the site and its goals.
Is there anything you would like to express to the community as a whole in regards to about you being a moderator?
As members of the staff, we do our best not to make moderation personal. We don't revenge-moderate. The focus really is protecting this great online community and its special atmosphere. Not for nothing, this site and this community have been around for over 20 years now (!). In that time, many religion-oriented or other sorts of forums have shut down, but RF is holding strong. Many thanks go to the members of the community, but also to the various members of the staff who've stood by the site over the years.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

I am making this open thread to interrogate you… haha not really. I just want to give the floor to you.

I am curious about the moderators. I have some questions. Please feel free to ignore or answer as many questions as you like. Also feel free to just express what you would like to express the community in general, in regards to being a moderator and all.

I have seen some of you make off comments about how the moderating position is unpaid. So, why do you do it?
Someone has to do it. Might as well be me.
Is it passion?
I care about this site, and the people on it. To be able to contribute as a staffer is a privilege.
Is it to have something to do?
Sometimes the additional work is nice to have.
Is it nice exercise for your brain?
It can be, if I'm functioning well. If I get depressed, my brain gets 'muddly', and I might step away from reports until my brain is 'clear' again.
I am sure that moderating and corralling all of us hooligans isn’t all roses and daisies.
For those who know my personal situation, they will know there is nothing any of you hooligans throw at me here that isn't thrown at me 100 times harder in the 'real world'.
I am sure it has its unpleasant moments.
It can, yes.
I am sure it has its tedious days. So, what is the value that you get out of moderating, personally?
Just being a part of all this. :)
2. Is there anything you would like to express to the community as a whole in regards to about you being a moderator?
On thing I find amusing is the bias idea. Us staffers have been accused of being "too left leaning". We've also been accused of being "too right leaning". We've all been told we have it out for this or that group(the person making the accusations doesn't realize the staffer they're dealing with is part of the group they're mentioning).

Part of ensuring we(staff in general) don't 'lean' any which way is to keep a diverse group of staff members. The voting process helps ensure that as well. No, staff don't agree on everything, and we sometimes have some lengthy discussions as things are voted on.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

This forum and its community have been of immense value to me over the years, to the point that they have extensively contributed positively to aspects of my personal development ever since I joined back in 2011. I appreciate RF and the community and like being able to contribute to maintaining the site and upholding its mission statement.

In addition to what @Harel13 and @JustGeorge have said about moderation, one of my favorite things about RF is the consensus system for moderation (whereby at least three votes for an action or lack thereof are required to decide it) and the fact that the staff is not uniform whether religiously or politically. I have been in some online communities where moderation decisions were decided unilaterally, and the results were often disastrous. This is also part of why we tend to poll members about various site-related suggestions and issues; we believe that discussing different ideas and working out which to implement is far better than acting without any input from members, who are the core of this forum.

Also, I would like to thank RFers, both the overall membership and fellow staffers, for making this place what it is through their contributions. There are an increasing number of discussion boards and social media sites out there, but RF solidly remains my virtual home.