• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Monthly Rant: You can't 'love the sinner and hate the sin'

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What does it mean to love the sinner and hate the sin? It means to love who they are and not what they do. Think about it though. I see many people with a kind heart and a will to devote themselves to serving others. It's a beautiful "deed" and we commend others who help in pain and struggle. In Buddhism, we see these things as our pure nature. The purity of the soul that's within us but covered by commonly is called sin. In Buddhism, it's called delusions. Labels that mean nothing in and of themselves. If we bypass those labels and delusions we see people for who they are, what they do, and how what they do help and influences others.

These are things that we commend. Then we we talk about the LGBTQIA community, our thoughts change. All of the sudden we do not love the sinner and as a result love what they do (service to others). We become hypocrites when we love the sinner and hate the sin in these regards. How? When a person does a beautiful deed as such to serve others, that deed and devotion is a part of who she is in whatever faith or moral lifestyle she has. She has not harmed anyone. She has not sinned. The same as the LGBTQIA community. When we are committed to individuals we love and act in that love that is the same definition and same context as one who serves someone else. It is that same devotion to each other as one has to serving a community. It's a marriage. There is no such thing as sin in a healthy marriage.

If you love the woman who serves and the deeds she does why not not love the LGBTQIA person for who he/she is and what he/she does? What about the two are different in regards to devotion to others and marriage whether in service or commitment? How does gender define love and passion to help others (the former) and be soulmates for lack of better stronger words in the latter?

In the former one, when you love the person you love who she is: who she is, is what she does in all aspects of the word. In her belief and her service to others, that is a part of her. She knows this.

It's the same as LGBTQIA individuals in committed relationships and marriages. That marriage and consummation of that marriage is who they are. It is who they are in all aspects of the word. Their beliefs and love for each other is a part of themselves as a unit. They know this.

When you love the sinner you in turn love the sin; when you hate the sinner you in turn hate the sin.

You cannot love the sinner and hate the sin. Why? Because when we do things in light of, for example, helping others and commitment, who can call that a sin?

What exactly is the defining factor that makes one person's commitment to others not a sin and the other one a sin?

Think about it logically, for a moment rather than who told you what's right and what's wrong. Compare the two from the other person's perspective and NOT your own. What is the defining factors that separate one action from another? What morals that are universal to humanity that defines one action as good and the other as bad?

In Buddhism we usually associate good actions to our true nature (Mahayana) and bad actions to our delusions. When we make good actions, we cannot separate that from ourselves.

If you love the sinner, you love the sin.

When you hate the sinner, you hate the sin.

You can't split a person's actions from themselves. Be honest with people you have bias with. You can say "hey, I don't care for who you are because I define who you are by what you do (that's a sin)." Be honest. Really.

I talked with a friend about Christianity and how I dislike inner nature of its teaching. What I actually did was not only told my friend I dislike that friend's religion, because that religion is who my friend is, I in turn also "honestly" told m friend I dislike h/h within that faith. I was respectful. I was honest. We are still friends. It is like telling a murderer, hey, if you define yourself by your passion to kill others, no, I don't like who you are "within" that passion. I accept who you are. I respect you. I am honest. I won't say I hate you. That's not me.

I respect you enough to say "I cannot 'love the sinner and hate the sin'" That just doesn't make sense.

Be blunt. You don't have to disown a friendship or family member because of it. You are just saying "this is how I feel about this". Hopefully the other doesn't take it as an insult but more of an understanding that maybe the other won't understand h/h the same way as h/h peers would.

That's okay. We relate to friends differently. We identify with our friends differently depending on the friends we talk with. I have a few new friends and one friend I've known for awhile. One friend just left and the other stopped talking to me. My family members are spread out over the globe, and one family member keeps asking me to come to Christ.

I can't change people to be like me or be my peer in identity. I can respect who they are because I disagree with their actions that define them. By no means is that wrong. Im just telling it as it is.

Be honest. Be respectful. Know that you identify with some people different than others. Understand that the action of a person is usually what defines them. It's alright to hate the sinner because you hate the sin.

Just don't be uncouth about it. I hate that.

Anyway, I'm off my soap

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The so called sinner is in truth one in god, we are all collectively God, but most because of ignorance have forgotten this, so when you see the sinner as a sinner you are also ignorant. Jesus as the story goes forgave those who were nailing him to the cross, he knew their true identity, and that is why he asked the father to forgive them, if you can do what Jesus did then you are truly one in God as Jesus was.

ENTP Logician

Advocate for Reason
I disagree with you Carlita, I can hate an action, ideology, or aspect of someone and not hate them.

For example I can hate manslaughter without hating the person who committed it, I can hate Islam and not hate the Muslim who believes in it, and I can hate anti-social disorder and not hate the person who has it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
What does it mean to love the sinner and hate the sin? It means to love who they are and not what they do. Think about it though. I see many people with a kind heart and a will to devote themselves to serving others. It's a beautiful "deed" and we commend others who help in pain and struggle. In Buddhism, we see these things as our pure nature. The purity of the soul that's within us but covered by commonly is called sin. In Buddhism, it's called delusions. Labels that mean nothing in and of themselves. If we bypass those labels and delusions we see people for who they are, what they do, and how what they do help and influences others.

These are things that we commend. Then we we talk about the LGBTQIA community, our thoughts change. All of the sudden we do not love the sinner and as a result love what they do (service to others). We become hypocrites when we love the sinner and hate the sin in these regards. How? When a person does a beautiful deed as such to serve others, that deed and devotion is a part of who she is in whatever faith or moral lifestyle she has. She has not harmed anyone. She has not sinned. The same as the LGBTQIA community. When we are committed to individuals we love and act in that love that is the same definition and same context as one who serves someone else. It is that same devotion to each other as one has to serving a community. It's a marriage. There is no such thing as sin in a healthy marriage.

If you love the woman who serves and the deeds she does why not not love the LGBTQIA person for who he/she is and what he/she does? What about the two are different in regards to devotion to others and marriage whether in service or commitment? How does gender define love and passion to help others (the former) and be soulmates for lack of better stronger words in the latter?

In the former one, when you love the person you love who she is: who she is, is what she does in all aspects of the word. In her belief and her service to others, that is a part of her. She knows this.

It's the same as LGBTQIA individuals in committed relationships and marriages. That marriage and consummation of that marriage is who they are. It is who they are in all aspects of the word. Their beliefs and love for each other is a part of themselves as a unit. They know this.

When you love the sinner you in turn love the sin; when you hate the sinner you in turn hate the sin.

You cannot love the sinner and hate the sin. Why? Because when we do things in light of, for example, helping others and commitment, who can call that a sin?

What exactly is the defining factor that makes one person's commitment to others not a sin and the other one a sin?

Think about it logically, for a moment rather than who told you what's right and what's wrong. Compare the two from the other person's perspective and NOT your own. What is the defining factors that separate one action from another? What morals that are universal to humanity that defines one action as good and the other as bad?

In Buddhism we usually associate good actions to our true nature (Mahayana) and bad actions to our delusions. When we make good actions, we cannot separate that from ourselves.

If you love the sinner, you love the sin.

When you hate the sinner, you hate the sin.

You can't split a person's actions from themselves. Be honest with people you have bias with. You can say "hey, I don't care for who you are because I define who you are by what you do (that's a sin)." Be honest. Really.

I talked with a friend about Christianity and how I dislike inner nature of its teaching. What I actually did was not only told my friend I dislike that friend's religion, because that religion is who my friend is, I in turn also "honestly" told m friend I dislike h/h within that faith. I was respectful. I was honest. We are still friends. It is like telling a murderer, hey, if you define yourself by your passion to kill others, no, I don't like who you are "within" that passion. I accept who you are. I respect you. I am honest. I won't say I hate you. That's not me.

I respect you enough to say "I cannot 'love the sinner and hate the sin'" That just doesn't make sense.

Be blunt. You don't have to disown a friendship or family member because of it. You are just saying "this is how I feel about this". Hopefully the other doesn't take it as an insult but more of an understanding that maybe the other won't understand h/h the same way as h/h peers would.

That's okay. We relate to friends differently. We identify with our friends differently depending on the friends we talk with. I have a few new friends and one friend I've known for awhile. One friend just left and the other stopped talking to me. My family members are spread out over the globe, and one family member keeps asking me to come to Christ.

I can't change people to be like me or be my peer in identity. I can respect who they are because I disagree with their actions that define them. By no means is that wrong. Im just telling it as it is.

Be honest. Be respectful. Know that you identify with some people different than others. Understand that the action of a person is usually what defines them. It's alright to hate the sinner because you hate the sin.

Just don't be uncouth about it. I hate that.

Anyway, I'm off my soap
Please, for the love of all that is good, tell us you do not have children....

Aiviu

Hmmm... the only thing which comes to my mind is that:

I am a human whose futurely self will suffer thus punish me for the things i've said and done. I cant love others truthfully if i hate myself for who i had become. And thus i cant beloved. If i am honest to themself i will despair but hopefully be fine before i will say and do things against those who are in the world.

I think this fits more to the line. Yeah, of course its awalys the others but one self.