• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormon Missionaries badly beaten in Bolton

Bishka

Veteran Member
articles said:
A YOUNG Mormon missionary badly beaten by a gang of teenages has said he forgives his attackers and has vowed to continue working in Bolton.
Sebastian Herrey, aged 21, and his colleague Brandon Woolsey, aged 19, were attacked by 14 youths as they took a short cut along Raglan Street, Halliwell, after missing their bus last Friday evening.

The men are both on a two-year placement in the town working as missionaries, known as Elders, with the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Mr Herrey, who is from Gothenburg, Sweden, and Mr Woolsey, from Utah, in the USA, ended up spending a night in the Royal Bolton Hospital after they were confronted by the teenagers and chased more than 500 metres before getting help from people at the Lord Raglan pub.

Mr Herrey suffered a suspected fractured jaw, gashed forehead and bruising, while Mr Woolsey was left with a black eye, cut lip and bruising.
Their ordeal began as they were on their way to visit someone interested in learning more about their faith.

Link here

Why does this happen?

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Link here

Why does this happen?
Probably because this world is full of people who lack compassion and are full of hate. I actually had some Mormon missionaries come to my house yesterday and I was reminded of how kind they are.

You can be sure that as long as there's kindess and compassion, there will always be someone on this planet who wants to destroy it.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Link here

Why does this happen?

The missionaries have done a tremendous job of making the best out of what happened. You can bet that a lot of people will take note of how they forgave the attackers and how well they handled themselves. They should be commended.

The punks who did the beating are just punks and it is a sad commentary on society.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
Stupid stupid people. I hope they catch all of the thugs and that they are all punished to the full extent possible.

My heart goes out to those two men and their families and friends. I find my heart strings tugged especially when considering the parents.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Random street violence in the UK is common enough. Could of happened to anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Melissa G

The missionaries themselves seem to think that they were targeted because of their religion, do you agree or disagree with that statement?

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
It's possible, but I suspect they were just victims of a random attack. It could just of easily been a couple of guys going to the shops. Violence as I said, is a common occurence. I would say though, if you stand out, you've more chance of been attacked.

Melissa G

Bishka

Veteran Member
It's possible, but I suspect they were just victims of a random attack.

It doesn't seem too random to me. According to the article:

article said:
They were walking past the cemetery in Astley Lane when the youths commented that they were wearing suits and began shouting abuse.

Mr Herrey said they decided to explain who they were and they thought trouble had been averted when one of the youths replied "Pray for us guys", and gave them a thumbs-up sign.

Mr Herrey said: "We have met a lot of people like this before, they have always respected us."

But seconds later a bottle was thrown at them, Mr Herrey was hit on the head from behind and both men were punched and kicked.

From this statement, the attackers clearly knew who they were.

Bathsheba

**{{}}**
It is hard to determine the veracity of their claim (targeted because of our religion) because we haven't investigated the crime.

I have no reason to discredit their take on things. We know that violence is often motivated by religious hatred. To me it seems like a completely reasonable assertion at this point in time.

But like I said, I wasn't there, I don't have all the facts and if I was on a jury determining if this was a religiously motivated hate crime I would need more information.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Like I said, they stood out. Wearing suits is unusual on the streets late at night. Maybeif they'd been wearing jeans, casual jackets, and something like Nike Air shoes, it may not of happened, but you can never be sure. These youths are often just hell bent on trouble. It's also become a fashion here to video attacks on a mobile (cell) phone, and upload them to a site for their friends to enjoy !

Melissa G

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know about any one else, but I know Mormon Missionaries when I see them so probably did those who beat them up. That, in my view, makes it a hate crime.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I don't know about any one else, but I know Mormon Missionaries when I see them so probably did those who beat them up. That, in my view, makes it a hate crime.

Most people do know the LDS missionaries by sight, they are a bit unusual compared to everyone else. :)

Bathsheba

**{{}}**

Knowing that they were mormon (if they did) doesn't establish motive. Why is it so hard for you to appreciate that you can't know their motive unless you get more information?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Knowing that they were mormon (if they did) doesn't establish motive. Why is it so hard for you to appreciate that you can't know their motive unless you get more information?

Even if they had a different motive, beating people like that is very wrong. Even if it wasn't a hate crime (I am reasonably sure it was, but I really don't know) it is still a terrible thing.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I feel like I have stumbled into a cross between Law and Order and Oprah but none the characters went to law school.