• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Boring Of All?

dave_

I believe God favors boredom.You have to give up all the funny things to get closer to the god.For example in buddhism you sit doing nothing but breathing.In abrahamic religions you stay away from all fun things like alcohol etc.Almost all religious leaders have boring hats.So which religion is the most boring of all?Why?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If one calls it a religion, agnosticism is the most boring.
Right behind that would be any faith which bans the following....
- Drinking
- Recreational sex
- Garish clothing
- Dancing
- Bacon/pork
- Music
- Humor
- Science

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
I believe God favors boredom.You have to give up all the funny things to get closer to the god.For example in buddhism you sit doing nothing but breathing.In abrahamic religions you stay away from all fun things like alcohol etc.Almost all religious leaders have boring hats.So which religion is the most boring of all?Why?
Hi dave_
In Judaism, there is a requirement and custom to drink the equivalent of a bottle of wine every Saturday. As well as some additional amount of alcoholic drink within at least two of the three meals.
In Judaism, there is a requirement and custom to drink half a bottle of wine per day of holiday.
In Judaism, there is a holiday where it is required and customary to get flat out on the floor drunk.

Please refrain from false generalizations in the future.

dave_

Hi dave_
In Judaism, there is a requirement and custom to drink the equivalent of a bottle of wine every Saturday. As well as some additional amount of alcoholic drink within at least two of the three meals.
In Judaism, there is a requirement and custom to drink half a bottle of wine per day of holiday.
In Judaism, there is a holiday where it is required and customary to get flat out on the floor drunk.

Please refrain from false generalizations in the future.

But it's not a false generalization.Jews doesn't consist of majority of followers of abrahamic religions.Christianity and islam bans alcohol so we can say in general abrahamic religions say to stay away from alcohol.

Tumah

Veteran Member
But it's not a false generalization.Jews doesn't consist of majority of followers of abrahamic religions.Christianity and islam bans alcohol so we can say in general abrahamic religions say to stay away from alcohol.
I'll just not play a semantics game with you.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Depending of course on your pantheon, the Gods on the other hand generally want us to get it on and party down!:p

JRMcC

Can you explain to me why Buddhists don't drink?

Kirran

Premium Member
Hey! Pujas are anything but boring :D

@Tumah: I can't remember the name of that get-stupid-drunk holiday, but I saw it on a documentary once. That looks straight up nuts. You partake? Drunk Tumah seems like a sight to behold.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
If you prefer a sensual (non-boring) life then you can do so as long as you don't cause harm to others. But religion teaches that eventually even the sensual life will pall on you and you will ask; what next? is this all there is? i'm bored again! Religion offers a greater peace and joy that is found above the level of the senses.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Hey! Pujas are anything but boring :D

@Tumah: I can't remember the name of that get-stupid-drunk holiday, but I saw it on a documentary once. That looks straight up nuts. You partake? Drunk Tumah seems like a sight to behold.
Purim is the holiday. I drink about 2-3 bottles of wine over the course of the meal. I usually wake up in the middle of the night, not remembering how I've gotten home and into bed.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe God favors boredom.You have to give up all the funny things to get closer to the god.

Nonsense. Those who devote themselves to a particular god do not have to do anything. That said, an act of devotion and dedication can be emulating the virtues of your gods. If one of the gods you honor is celibate you may choose to do so as well as a way of honoring that god. Or you might not. In fact, you might choose to honor a god like Aphrodite, for whom celibacy would be offensive to!

For example in buddhism you sit doing nothing but breathing.

I'm not well-appraised in the Buddhist religion, but I'm pretty darned sure there's more to it than that.

In abrahamic religions you stay away from all fun things like alcohol etc.

I'm not well-appraised in the Abrahamic religions either, but I'm pretty darned sure they do not universally require anything of the sort. They're quite the heterogenous grouping, really.

Almost all religious leaders have boring hats.

That's funny, considering the vast majority of religious leaders I've ever seen don't even wear hats. Which is too bad, honestly. Hats are cool. They've gone out of fashion, unfortunately.

So which religion is the most boring of all?Why?

The one that, to you, personally, is utterly uninteresting and uninspiring. And honestly? I don't think I would call any religion boring. That label I reserve for things like competitive sports and TV soap operas.

Kirran

Premium Member
Purim is the holiday. I drink about 2-3 bottles of wine over the course of the meal. I usually wake up in the middle of the night, not remembering how I've gotten home and into bed.

Reckon you go out clubbing and so on during that blacked-out phase?

If you prefer a sensual (non-boring) life then you can do so as long as you don't cause harm to others. But religion teaches that eventually even the sensual life will pall on you and you will ask; what next? is this all there is? i'm bored again! Religion offers a greater peace and joy that is found above the level of the senses.

I think it can work just as easily the other way around. Someone gets bored living a pious life and starts living it up.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
unless one considers genocide, infanticide, sexism, etc fun.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I find religion offers nothing of the sort. Living on the other hand offers every thing.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Nonsense. Those who devote themselves to a particular god do not have to do anything. That said, an act of devotion and dedication can be emulating the virtues of your gods. If one of the gods you honor is celibate you may choose to do so as well as a way of honoring that god. Or you might not. In fact, you might choose to honor a god like Aphrodite, for whom celibacy would be offensive to!

I'm not well-appraised in the Buddhist religion, but I'm pretty darned sure there's more to it than that.

I'm not well-appraised in the Abrahamic religions either, but I'm pretty darned sure they do not universally require anything of the sort. They're quite the heterogenous grouping, really.

That's funny, considering the vast majority of religious leaders I've ever seen don't even wear hats. Which is too bad, honestly. Hats are cool. They've gone out of fashion, unfortunately.

The one that, to you, personally, is utterly uninteresting and uninspiring. And honestly? I don't think I would call any religion boring. That label I reserve for things like competitive sports and TV soap operas.
This is about God, not gods.

Christianity does not ban alcohol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Dionysus definitely does not have an issue with his followers drinking, having sex, and partying. LHP religions do not have any such prohibitions, though it depends on the individual to partake or not. Nordic celebrations, among other things, are known for including drinking mead. In many tribal religions, the use of psychedelic substances are a part of religious rituals, and it's not unusual for a shaman to perform under the influence. To the Rastafarians, smoking marijuana is a sacred sacrament. To many neo-Pagans, and others such as Crowely and LaVey, sex is a good way to work up powerful levels of energy for performing ceremonies. I've also known some Christians who believe pot is a gift from God. And of course Christianity does not prohibit alcohol because Jesus turned water into wine, Judaism does not prohibit alcohol due to it being consumed in some holidays and ability to find Kosher alcohol, and Islam does not flat out ban alcohol consumption although it is generally regarded as best to refrain from it.