• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most trusted-Least trusted news sources. Pew Research

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Fox news isn't as bad as most people think. Sorry liberals. It's in the middle of the pack.

Most trusted is the BBC. Smash Up job lads.

CNN was up there and NBC which personally surprised me a bit.

In light of the lack of journalistic integrity and honesty within the news these days, how do you determine what's actually honest in the news and if it has the Hallmarks of journalistic integrity and reliability with what it reports?

Here Are The Most- And Least-Trusted News Outlets In America

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
This is one of my personal go-tos regards news.

An overall observation: many of the talk shows are the ones coming under fire. No real surprise there since there are less filters on those segments.

Quetzal

Premium Member
Fox news isn't as bad as most people think.
Oops, missed this and it is worth talking about since it does get a lot of flack. Fox news, in my opinion, is great for general broadcasts. I have watched local/national news segments with a variety of their more centrists hosts and it has been just fine. Some of the talk show segments might raise a few brows from me, but that is just as true with MSNBC as well.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Fox news isn't as bad as most people think. Sorry liberals. It's in the middle of the pack.

In light of the lack of journalistic integrity and honesty within the news these days, how do you determine what's actually honest in the news and if it has the Hallmarks of journalistic integrity and reliability with what it reports?

You can't trust the MSM at all anymore. They all are so biased you almost never get a honest story. Rsearch indepedent journalist and find a few you think you can trust. You will be far better off following them, than flipping on the news.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

NPR? Seriously? The report is a little misleading because programs like Limbaugh, Hannity, Schulz, etc., are commentaries, not news programs; and Colbert is a comedian.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
NPR? Seriously? The report is a little misleading because programs like Limbaugh, Hannity, Schulz, etc., are commentaries, not news programs; and Colbert is a comedian.
I think it's because those programs are based off current events and news. There are still shows where journalism plays an integral role. I know a lot of times these programs are actually quoted time to time as they relate to mainstream news that's being reported.

I suppose that even comedy and commentary can present a false picture of what the story is actually about.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The results are basically no surprise to me with a few exceptions based on the attacks on various outlets by various people. This from the report was a nice way of visualizing the result.

PJ_14.10.21_mediaPolarization-08.png

Digging into the results, though, had a few things that I noted:

Social Media: Conservatives More Likely to Have Like-Minded Friends

As for me, I know that all media sensationalizes stories. The old "joke" "if it bleeds, it leads" is evident enough in any source to turn me off.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The BBC is not liberal, it has a conservative slant, used to be liberal, not any more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Really? I thought they were pretty close to the center.
That's cuz you're liberal too.
I notice that in areas where I'm liberal (socially) I don't notice sources which
share my bias. Bias stands out more when the listener is in opposition.
Example:
For those of us who are pro-gay folk, do we notice pro-gay biases? Nah!
But do we notice anti-gay bias? Ya, sure!

Lyndon

Premium Member
Really? I thought they were pretty close to the center.

The BBC favour the big money people, and are funded by the longstanding conservative government of England, the Tories, if you want a left leaning media source, try Australia's ABC, also gov run but not caving in to Australias conservative government (the Liberals) liberal in name only.

Quetzal

Premium Member
That's cuz you're liberal too.
I notice that in areas where I'm liberal (socially) I don't notice sources which
share my bias. Bias stands out more when the listener is in opposition.
I agree and that might be true. But given the list in the OP, I tend to think they are better behaved than most.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Of the 25 source names that have been "heard of" by at least 40% of web respondents Fox News is in 18th place, which is hardly in the middle. In fact, 72% of the source names are more trustworthy than Fox.

What I found nice is that the three networks place as high as they do. Being a liberal, my favorite is MSNBC, followed by CNN, which may be because they're on about 95% of time on my cable service.

pj_14.10.21_mediapolarization-01.png

I don't go along with Trump's denunciation of the press, so, aside from far right sources, I don't question the integrity and honesty of the press.

Lyndon

Premium Member
While the factuality of actual stories on good media is quite high, there's the sin of omission, the stories they don't carry, the politicians running they don't have much coverage of, I saw this clearly with MSN on Bernie Sanders campaign, very little positive coverage, much more for Hillary, and much more than that for Trump. Now that's a conservative bias, not a liberal one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My most trusted.....
Popular Science
National Geographic
Smithsonian Magazine
Revoltistanian Tattler

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

BBC is the best. No drama news. :)