• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Music addiction?

Riders

Ok so 16 years ago after I quit the Pentecostal church , I got caught up with my music. I threw away all my rock albums which were albums a lot of them classic like The Beatles I had collected my whole life.It was worth a fortune burned them trashed them because the church told me to.

I renounced rockinroll as being of the devil and listened to nothing but Christian music for 8 years. The last year in my last Pentecostal church I began to listen to The Doors just one cd with Riders on the Storm, it use to put me to sleep. I was a baby when they we re popular,makes me feel like crawling up in my bed and being a baby, its healthy when I was having insomnia. I slept by it.

My church got over me for it, 1 little cd 1!

So anyways I made a big point about secular rockinroll not being evil after I got out of church and went way over bored. I began to worship The Doors, I got every CD I spent a fortune ( Ive lost all of them I'm so stupid)I watched the videos, read the books even read the poetry books by Jim Morrison.

When they came in concert to DAllas ( the guy who was lead singer of The Cult band from the 80s played Jim Morrison). I went to that, I wore tshirts Doors rock tshirt every other day talked about it all the time.I drove people crazy.

Its one thing Beliefnet folks remember me beign obsess insano about talking rockinroll at Beliefnet years ago lol.

So all my tshirts were black. truthfully looking back now I think I had to have that to a certain degree because I was obsessed with church before,I kind of had to have something to fall back on,transfored my church obsession to rock obsession.

Then I became obsessed with New Kids On The Block drove everyone nuts about them( I never listened to them when they were popular exept a few songs and I remember reading stuff about Donny Wahlberg)

So the Christians around me some at my Moms AA meeting and some in my family 7 to 10 years ago actually like ganged upon me like an internention and told me I was addicted to music, I needed to quit listening to all secular music and listen to Christian music only and if I did not Id go crazy.

A bunch of them did some yelled at me LOL> Looking back I was really extreme, one of my counselors said I was addicted to music too.

I really believe in my heart they were saying things like this not for my own good but to manipulate the situation into tricking me back into the church.

This is one reason I get angry with Christians because they lie about stuff like this and I know theyre manipulating the situation. No I'm not putting this up in religion debate because that's just my family and friends, I don't think the church itself neccesarily teaches that so.

But anyways I proved them all all wrong. I was suppose to end up the psycho ward by now. What I figured out about this, is that number 1 I was infatuated with all of those guys, so it was part of my love addiction. Number 2 I also have OCDs about stuff and yes I think I ahd an OCD on music. But its not the same as music addiction.
Ive never heard one person complain about music addiction, I imagine those who go into their own world with music are mentally ill or if its an obsession its probably an OCD.

I took care of it and got rid of it myself and my sisters are satisfied. But what I do today is I refraim from listening to songs with sexually explicit lyrics.I also reraim from having a favorite, The Doors were my favorite then NKOTB. SO today I don't get caught up listening to one band al the time, I don't have favorites. I still listen to all of my ( except sexualy explicit) favorties, eaning a thousand of them, classic rock punk rock new wave pop alternative rock from the 60s 70s and 80s and 90s.

I never get caught up with one I will go to a concert if I see someone I listen to different bands different songs everyday.

So that cured me and I'm darn proud. I had beliefnetters, AA Christians and family telling me my obsession with the doors was of the devil and I was a music addict and I had to give up all secular music or soemthign terrible would happen to me and I proved them all wrong.

Riders

Nope its really more of a journal just writing about my past, theres no confrontation here.. However for those who believe only Christian or spiritual music is ok you can express that here if you want or debate.

Its not much of a debate, I think what I need to do is put up an all purpose general journal.I wanted to write about it get it out of my system and also I'm bragging.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Never had anyone tell me I'm addicted to music. I've impressed many with my knowledge of music, I'm pretty much always listening to it, but it's not really not an addiction. I've got several Tool shirts, Pink Floyd, Slayer, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Lamb of God, and many more, a few autographed posters (and a few autographed albums), tons of music, good headphones and speakers, several vinyl records, several books, and a few instruments.
It does sound like you were correct in thinking they were trying to manipulate you.

Riders

Thanks I love Pink Floyd. I also just discovered the H P Lovecraft rock band of the 60s I think I'm gonna start listening some to them theyre cool.

It doesn't sound like an addiction to me. I mean if your getting a lot of pleasure from it and your happy, its not controlling your life then its a good thing.

Personally I was raised up in a musical family, I was the only one who didn't really have a lot of talent. My oldest sister sings and plays piano so well that she has perfect pitch was the star in her high school choir.

She has been paid to play the piano for the city of Mesquite in jr high school choirs,also accepted in the Mesquite symphone choir, gets pad to play the piano at her church;

and she sometimes gets paid for weddings and special events and right now has a part time job making a ton of money giving piano lessons.

My other sister has been in a local classic rock band who has done work as blues group that made classic rock songs into Christian words, but shes not a Christian lol.

But she is not doing that and now in a local band that gets paid some what not a lot at a local bbq restaurant once a week.

So it maybe that me not having any talent may have made me somewhat obsessed but I know a lot about music, its in my head, I know good music when I hear it.

So but to me music is not an addiction if theres an issue its probably an ocd.

But to me its ok if Christians want to listen to all Christian music if they do it for themselves and for God. But if theyre doing because they think the whole of society should be and they want to get other people to do it then its wrong.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Enjoy your life and enjoy your music, never let anyone tell you differently, let them be in their own boring world.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
That's incredibly sad that the Church made you do that.

Riders

Thankyou love the picture I love the Hindu Hare Krishna pics and sayings. Ive been reading every now and then the Bhagavad Gita so.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Very much so. Life is too short is to not listen to music or listen to crappy music.
So true, and why the hell would a God that is all so powerful worry about what someone listens to, na, its just insecure people projecting their own fear and boredom onto anyone who doesn't agree with their fear based beliefs.

Aiviu

I love music because it wakes something in me which apparently is keeping an eye out on those who I truely love.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
"Why is music called the divine art, while all other arts are not so called? We may certainly see God in all arts and in all sciences, but in music alone we see God free from all forms and thoughts. In every other art there is idolatry. Every thought, every word has its form. Sound alone is free from form. Every word of poetry forms a picture in our mind. Sound alone does not make any object appear before us."
- Sufi Hazrat Inayat Khan

Shadow Wolf

"Why is music called the divine art, while all other arts are not so called? We may certainly see God in all arts and in all sciences, but in music alone we see God free from all forms and thoughts. In every other art there is idolatry. Every thought, every word has its form. Sound alone is free from form. Every word of poetry forms a picture in our mind. Sound alone does not make any object appear before us."
- Sufi Hazrat Inayat Khan
I say this guy hasn't been listening to the right music if it's not making images in his mind.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I say this guy hasn't been listening to the right music if it's not making images in his mind.
Aside from the fact that he was an immense virtuoso in his time and brought Sufism to the West, his philosophy and understanding of music and metaphysics is unmatched IMO. I believe what he was getting at was that every other art form 'relies' on imagery to make the connection, whereas music 'can' drum up imagery, it is not necessary in order to make the connection.

Shadow Wolf

Aside from the fact that he was an immense virtuoso in his time and brought Sufism to the West, his philosophy and understanding of music and metaphysics is unmatched IMO. I believe what he was getting at was that every other art form 'relies' on imagery to make the connection, whereas music 'can' drum up imagery, it is not necessary in order to make the connection.
And I still say a good artist can touch people in ways that are deep enough on an emotional level to bring up images in our heads. Rather it's Bach and images of classic horror movies or the personal diary of Trent Reznor, great music is emotional. Even the basic elements that minor notes, chords, and keys sound "down" and "depressed" reveals a glimpse of just how much emotion we attach to music.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
And I still say a good artist can touch people in ways that are deep enough on an emotional level to bring up images in our heads. Rather it's Bach and images of classic horror movies or the personal diary of Trent Reznor, great music is emotional. Even the basic elements that minor notes, chords, and keys sound "down" and "depressed" reveals a glimpse of just how much emotion we attach to music.
You seem to have entirely missed the meaning of all this . . .
Are you a musician by chance?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Sound alone is free from form. Music defies the tyranny of shape and form. It offers the listener complete freedom
Music suggests no form. It creates that resonance that vibrates through the whole being, lifting the thought above the denseness of matter; it turns matter into spirit, into its original condition, through the harmony of vibrations touching every atom of one’s whole being.

Beauty of line and color can go so far and no further; the joy of fragrance can go a little further; but music touches our innermost being and in that way produces new life, a life that gives exaltation to the whole being, raising it to that perfection in which lies the fulfillment of our life.

Riders

well isee itt his way any art that affect the senses instead of fantasy images is a better experience because its richer and its reality its not fantasy. Smelling a good restaraunts food is good, listening is a sense.