• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My beliefs

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Tagging @Elliott
@Eliana
This thread is for folk to ask about my religious beliefs. Please remember this is not a debate thread. It's in religious Q&A for a reason. Be respectful.

Alright. Little overview about my beliefs. I'm syncretic. But the main aspect of my religious beliefs is paganism and is eclectic. I honor a few gods. Bastet an egyptian deity is my main deity. Goddess of cats, sexuality, children, health, dancing, perfumes, music, celebration, protection etc. She's a very lively deity. An eye of Ra. I've considered honoring her son Anubis- god of funerals and guide of souls.

Gula-Bau is another deity i worship. Goddess of healing, doctors, and dogs. Tho she's not traditionally worshiped as such I also consider her a deity of the home and kitchen. Because let's face it dogs make the house a home and often love food.

Now to my more controversial deities...this is where I mixed in a more left handed path...
Lilith- Infernal goddess of sexuality, freedom, independence, feminism, pride, death, abortion, passion, dark side of the feminine, the moon and night...

Lucifer(Samael)- Infernal god of light, the Morning Star, husband of Lilith, knowledge, freedom, rebellion, fire, outcasts and misfits, pride etc

Now one question was where do i get my information on Lucifer? Here's the thing- I am a pagan. Not a Christian. Not abrahamic. I'm coming at this from a pagan mindset. Myths to me are not literal. They are lessons. A lot of my beliefs on Lucifer come from occult books ive read some one left handed paths, some academic books on the history of the devil and that archetype, some really old books that yes come from Christians back in medieval times...many of the books i have are from modern occultism dating to the 19th and 20th century and some are older much older. Luciferianism as a religion is new but the concept of worshipping a deity thats considered an adversity in another religion isn't. Even devil worship isnt new. I also been wanting to read some Gnostic books...some of those put Lucifer in a different light. Basically I am well informed on different ideas of who he is. I dont consider him evil rather a dark entity. I find it interesting that due to Christianity being the dominate religion folk assume im evil worshiping an evil entity. But keep in mind im pagan. Just cuz a deity is seen as violent in myths it's not always meaning they are evil. Take for example the folk who worship Kali or Loki or Set. These are entities that can be considered dark. But folk who worship them dont get as much flake as folk who worship Lucifer...yeah sometimes they do but not as much. I used to worship Loki ive stopped tho cuz I've learned enough from chaos. I've never had that much pushback worshipping him and mentioning it on RF. I talk of Lucifer however- and half a thread might get deleted due to folk being awful towards me.

There is the idea that Lucifer represents the side of people that question authority. The side that seeks knowledge at all costs. The side of people who don't bend to normalcy. The side that creates change against tyrants. I don't believe the Abrahamic God to be evil. To me the Adam and Eve story is just a myth. But the myth does teach something if you look at it from the side of the one giving the apple. There's many ways at looking at that myth.

Now Lucifer is a real entity to me. Dont get me wrong. Once i was praying to him crying and I felt this presence. I can only describe it as light. Comforting. Almost fatherly. Sad. Solemn and knowing. Those the vibes I got. And i couldve sworn i felt something pat my back. Ok so im a rational person. It could very well be that my mind was so upset it created that feeling. That idea of a presence there. But to me it was comforting. I also have an altar to him and have used diviniation talking to him. He's been a very useful deity in my life. Of course many of the experiences I've had with him can mostly be explained by less supernatural forces. Mundane over spiritual. But I like to believe he's real and this belief has not harmed me. It's been very helpful. My therapist at least likes it because there's a huge focus on self improvement working with him. She also doesn't believe im suffering from psychosis as my beliefs while not the norm do not involve hallcinations or delusions. I do not hear voices of any gods talking to me for instance. I may use cards or rune to talk to him. Shufflemancy even. Dream interpetation. But I don't use things like drugs or see/hear stuff. I've admitted to her and explained how many of my experiences could possibly not be supernatural. She pointed out if i were to hear or see stuff in ritual it likely wouldn't mean mental disorder anyway because it would be induced by ritual. Whether that be emotions, or other means. I'd like to point all this out because often folk say im crazy working with the occult and like to try to diminish my experiences by saying they are caused by mental disorder. A professional that has worked with me for over a year disagrees with that.

Now. Im ready for questions.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Oh I forgot... Regarding Lilith.
Arguably she's more violent in myths then with Lucifer. Tho folk freak out more with Lucifer then with Lilith for some reason. I believe however she was a scapegoat and an explaination for stillbirths,SIDS, and wet dreams before we knew better. I don't actually believe she murders kids

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I used to worship Loki ive stopped tho cuz I've learned enough from chaos

from chaos... or not.

( sorry I couldn't resist )

Lucifer(Samael)- Infernal god of light, the Morning Star, husband of Lilith, knowledge, freedom, rebellion, fire, outcasts and misfits, etc

" ... outcasts and misfits ... " And this was the point I was trying to make to @Revoltingest . Maybe I did it in the wrong way, and in the wrong time and in the wrong place, but, do you see what I meant? If lucifer is a god of outcasts and misfits, then, is it accuate to consider that there is a "conventional" version of lucifer? Lucifer would be, inherently unconventional, right?

If so, I hate to say it, LOKI is back in the picture.

LOKI!!! :p
or not. :confused:

~giggles~

From my perspective, speaking only for myself? In the Pagan pantheon you are describing which includes Loki and Lucifer? Loki and the force which is represented by that name would be a captain, and Lucifer would be one of Loki's deputies. But not in an orderly manner. In a subtle manner. And Loki would not be the only "captain". And Lucifer would not be a deputy of only Loki. There would be a lot of fluidity in it. Anyway. That's how I feel about it. I'm curios to read your feedback, VC, on that, if you choose to share it.

talk of Lucifer however- and half a thread might get deleted due to folk being awful towards me.

yup. It's a shame, and you handle that push-back really well. I would do well to learn from you. And I appreciate your friendship, and the corresponding patience, tremendously. Thank you for being my friend all of these years.

To me the Adam and Eve story is just a myth. But the myth does teach something if you look at it from the side of the one giving the apple. There's many ways at looking at that myth.

There's more than one way? To look at it? Yes! Yes, and thank you for saying that. It needs to be said more and louder.

There is more than one way of looking at everything. That is my mantra lately. And I think the whole world would be better off if people would adopt that very simple mindset. But there's a catch, a paradox. I've written about it before. If a person wants to be flexible they cannot be rigid about their own flexibility. See below, case and point:

Lucifer represents ... the side of people who don't bend

There it is. That is not flexible. It's rigid. Lucifer represents misfits, but also not bending to tyranny. That tyranny can take different forms. One of them might be social norms which are inculcated, not by choice, not by consent, simply by being born in a particular society.

If I'm right about this paradox of fluidity and flexibility, then, Lucifer cannot be rigid about being flexible. Cannot. That means Lucifer would encourage being rigid when needed in the face of a tyrant regardless of the form of that tyranny.

I'd like to point all this out because often folk say im crazy working with the occult and like to try to diminish my experiences by saying they are caused by mental disorder. A professional that has worked with me for over a year disagrees with that.

:blueheart:

VoidCat

outcasts and misfits ... " And this was the point I was trying to make to @Revoltingest . Maybe I did it in the wrong way, and in the wrong time and in the wrong place, but, do you see what I meant? If lucifer is a god of outcasts and misfits, then, is it accuate to consider that there is a "conventional" version of lucifer? Lucifer would be, inherently unconventional, right?

If so, I hate to say it, LOKI is back in the picture.

LOKI!!! :p
or not. :confused:
imma tag @The Hammer. Not because i want him to answer anything. But because I love how everytime when i talk about Loki to you you go LOKI! Or not.

I think The Hammer might appreciate that little quirk of yours. Chaos. It could be Loki that did it...or not he's chaotic.
I agree Lucifer is unconventional in many ways.

From my perspective, speaking only for myself? In the Pagan pantheon you are describing which includes Loki and Lucifer? Loki and the force which is represented by that name would be a captain, and Lucifer would be one of Loki's deputies. But not in an orderly manner. In a subtle manner. And Loki would not be the only "captain". And Lucifer would not be a deputy of only Loki. There would be a lot of fluidity in it. Anyway. That's how I feel about it. I'm curios to read your feedback, VC, on that, if you choose to share it.
Hmmm...i kinda think that Loki and Lucifer are similar but very different from one another. I think Loki however is never a servant to anyone chaos can't be controlled. Lucifer arguably serves in some myths and in some myths never bows to anyone and it leads to his destruction or salvation depending on who you ask.

yup. It's a shame, and you handle that push-back really well. I would do well to learn from you. And I appreciate your friendship, and the corresponding patience, tremendously. Thank you for being my friend all of these years.
You a good friend. (Kitty headbutts) I love you friend. Bop bop.

There's more than one way? To look at it? Yes! Yes, and thank you for saying that. It needs to be said more and louder.

There is more than one way of looking at everything. That is my mantra lately. And I think the whole world would be better off if people would adopt that very simple mindset. But there's a catch, a paradox. I've written about it before. If a person wants to be flexible they cannot be rigid about their own flexibility. See below, case and point:
Nods

There it is. That is not flexible. It's rigid. Lucifer represents misfits, but also not bending to tyranny. That tyranny can take different forms. One of them might be social norms which are inculcated, not by choice, not by consent, simply by being born in a particular society.

If I'm right about this paradox of fluidity and flexibility, then, Lucifer cannot be rigid about being flexible. Cannot. That means Lucifer would encourage being rigid when needed in the face of a tyrant regardless of the form of that tyranny.
Yes. Lucifer is sometimes not flexible. As much as I talk of fluidity there's some things i dont bend with.

Im sure you can relate to the beliefs are caused by mental disorder criticism. (Hugs)(headbutts)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I think The Hammer might appreciate that little quirk of yours. Chaos. It could be Loki that did it...or not he's chaotic.

What is more fun than Loki? I mean. We could be talking about the great-great-grand-parent of comedy right here.

VoidCat

What is more fun than Loki? I mean. We could be talking about the great-great-grand-parent of comedy right here.
(Humorous and lighthearted)
I don't know man...that myth with Skadi...

His idea of a joke is tying rope to his nuts and then tying the other end to a goat and the goat runs...insert mental image of Loki screaming being dragged by a goat...

You can see why Skadi laugh it was probably because wtf Loki...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
(Humorous and lighthearted)
I don't know man...that myth with Skadi...

His idea of a joke is tying rope to his nuts and then tying the other end to a goat and the goat runs...insert mental image of Loki screaming being dragged by a goat...

You can see why Skadi laugh it was probably because wtf Loki...

I clearly have a strange sense of humor. 'Cause I "shnortled" at this. OTOH... maybe it's not so strange. See below:

Elliott

Tagging @Elliott
@Eliana
This thread is for folk to ask about my religious beliefs. Please remember this is not a debate thread. It's in religious Q&A for a reason. Be respectful.

Alright. Little overview about my beliefs. I'm syncretic. But the main aspect of my religious beliefs is paganism and is eclectic. I honor a few gods. Bastet an egyptian deity is my main deity. Goddess of cats, sexuality, children, health, dancing, perfumes, music, celebration, protection etc. She's a very lively deity. An eye of Ra. I've considered honoring her son Anubis- god of funerals and guide of souls.

Gula-Bau is another deity i worship. Goddess of healing, doctors, and dogs. Tho she's not traditionally worshiped as such I also consider her a deity of the home and kitchen. Because let's face it dogs make the house a home and often love food.

Now to my more controversial deities...this is where I mixed in a more left handed path...
Lilith- Infernal goddess of sexuality, freedom, independence, feminism, pride, death, abortion, passion, dark side of the feminine, the moon and night...

Lucifer(Samael)- Infernal god of light, the Morning Star, husband of Lilith, knowledge, freedom, rebellion, fire, outcasts and misfits, pride etc

Now one question was where do i get my information on Lucifer? Here's the thing- I am a pagan. Not a Christian. Not abrahamic. I'm coming at this from a pagan mindset. Myths to me are not literal. They are lessons. A lot of my beliefs on Lucifer come from occult books ive read some one left handed paths, some academic books on the history of the devil and that archetype, some really old books that yes come from Christians back in medieval times...many of the books i have are from modern occultism dating to the 19th and 20th century and some are older much older. Luciferianism as a religion is new but the concept of worshipping a deity thats considered an adversity in another religion isn't. Even devil worship isnt new. I also been wanting to read some Gnostic books...some of those put Lucifer in a different light. Basically I am well informed on different ideas of who he is. I dont consider him evil rather a dark entity. I find it interesting that due to Christianity being the dominate religion folk assume im evil worshiping an evil entity. But keep in mind im pagan. Just cuz a deity is seen as violent in myths it's not always meaning they are evil. Take for example the folk who worship Kali or Loki or Set. These are entities that can be considered dark. But folk who worship them dont get as much flake as folk who worship Lucifer...yeah sometimes they do but not as much. I used to worship Loki ive stopped tho cuz I've learned enough from chaos. I've never had that much pushback worshipping him and mentioning it on RF. I talk of Lucifer however- and half a thread might get deleted due to folk being awful towards me.

There is the idea that Lucifer represents the side of people that question authority. The side that seeks knowledge at all costs. The side of people who don't bend to normalcy. The side that creates change against tyrants. I don't believe the Abrahamic God to be evil. To me the Adam and Eve story is just a myth. But the myth does teach something if you look at it from the side of the one giving the apple. There's many ways at looking at that myth.

Now Lucifer is a real entity to me. Dont get me wrong. Once i was praying to him crying and I felt this presence. I can only describe it as light. Comforting. Almost fatherly. Sad. Solemn and knowing. Those the vibes I got. And i couldve sworn i felt something pat my back. Ok so im a rational person. It could very well be that my mind was so upset it created that feeling. That idea of a presence there. But to me it was comforting. I also have an altar to him and have used diviniation talking to him. He's been a very useful deity in my life. Of course many of the experiences I've had with him can mostly be explained by less supernatural forces. Mundane over spiritual. But I like to believe he's real and this belief has not harmed me. It's been very helpful. My therapist at least likes it because there's a huge focus on self improvement working with him. She also doesn't believe im suffering from psychosis as my beliefs while not the norm do not involve hallcinations or delusions. I do not hear voices of any gods talking to me for instance. I may use cards or rune to talk to him. Shufflemancy even. Dream interpetation. But I don't use things like drugs or see/hear stuff. I've admitted to her and explained how many of my experiences could possibly not be supernatural. She pointed out if i were to hear or see stuff in ritual it likely wouldn't mean mental disorder anyway because it would be induced by ritual. Whether that be emotions, or other means. I'd like to point all this out because often folk say im crazy working with the occult and like to try to diminish my experiences by saying they are caused by mental disorder. A professional that has worked with me for over a year disagrees with that.

Now. Im ready for questions.
Well, you definitely covered a lot here. It is fascinating that teachings about Satan exist outside Abrahamic teachings from way back when. It does make sense that there are teachings on Satan that predate the giving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai. After all, the Torah does teach about ancient religions that predate the transmission of the Torah. There is even a reference to demonic worship therein. Of course the Torah doesn't approve of any of this, but that's a separate matter.

VoidCat

Well, you definitely covered a lot here. It is fascinating that teachings about Satan exist outside Abrahamic teachings from way back when. It does make sense that there are teachings on Satan that predate the giving of the Torah at Mt. Sinai. After all, the Torah does teach about ancient religions that predate the transmission of the Torah. There is even a reference to demonic worship therein. Of course the Torah doesn't approve of any of this, but that's a separate matter.
I dont know about a deity named satan being worshipped pre-torah I dont think that's the case but Zoroastrianism teaches about an adversity to their main God. I don't know if that religion is older, arose around the same time, or is younger then Judaism. I just googled to check because I was thinking it's older but seems there's mixed views on which arose first. Maybe they arose separately but around the same time. I do not know i am not well versed on Zoroastrianism. But I have heard there were some fringe groups that worshipped the adversity in Zoroastrianism. Whether historically accurate I do not know i just heard that was the case in one of my books. I intended to explore that claim more but did not because I got busy.

Either way seems very old the idea of an adversity in a religion existing. Makes sense conflict makes for good myths.

Last edited:

VoidCat

I dont know about a deity named satan being worshipped I dont think that's the case but Zoroastrianism teaches about an adversity to their main God. I don't know if that religion is older, arose around the same time, or is younger then Judaism. I just googled to check because I was thinking it's older but seems there's mixed views on which arose first. Maybe they arose separately but around the same time. I do not know i am not well versed on Zoroastrianism. But I have heard there were some fringe groups that worshipped the adversity in Zoroastrianism. Whether historically accurate I do not know i just heard that was the case in one of my books. I intended to explore that claim more but did not because I got busy.

Either way seems very old the idea of an adversity in a religion existing. Makes sense conflict makes for good myths.
@Elliott
To clarify i had to Google the names again not well versed.
But Angra Mainyu or Ahriman is the adversity in Zoroastrianism. Ahura Mazda is the monotheistic god in it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The whole "question authority" thing can get a bit tropey and maladaptive. How do you go about navigating challenging the status quo while also understanding and respecting the need for structure and coexisting within a community?

It's a big question, so feel free to skip if you want. I ask in part because when I think about my whole "question authority" phase, it was... it got replaced with something more constructive. Paganism on the whole is almost inherently countercultural, sometimes to its own detriment and sometimes to its own credit. Finding that balance is a major point of consideration for religious minorities. Being countercultural for its own sake doesn't strike me as wise (e.g., "questioning authority" just because something is seen as an authority) while understanding who you are and whose you are then embracing that is a bit less of a contrarian way of approaching things, if that makes sense.

For something a bit more fun - any recommendations on learning more about Lilith?

VoidCat

The whole "question authority" thing can get a bit tropey and maladaptive. How do you go about navigating challenging the status quo while also understanding and respecting the need for structure and coexisting within a community
Fluidity. It's core to my practice. Adapt. Obey when it's the right thing to do question when it's the right thing to do. I have a strong code of morals I follow. Much of that is helping the community giving back to it.

For something a bit more fun - any recommendations on learning more about Lilith
Hmmm...ill answer this later