• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My favorite monster (cryptid)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Thanks to @Wu Wei in another thread and what I found on the internet The Most Famous Mythical Monster in Every Country, which eventually as the internet tends to do led to here: The American Bestiary: The Most Famous Mythical Creature of Every US State, Illustrated this thread was born.

So what's your favorite monster from any state or overseas somewhere or even darkest Canada? The dragon was the most-searched for example in England, China, and Switzerland. Others are more unique to their country of origin. In Cuban folklore, the Madre de aguas is a horned, bullet-proof snake the size of a palm tree.

These are Californiamonsters

05_California_Dark-Watchers.jpg

But maybe this is the one that's real:

39_Rhode-Island_Vampire-Mercy-Brown.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thanks to @Wu Wei in another thread and what I found on the internet The Most Famous Mythical Monster in Every Country, which eventually as the internet tends to do led to here: The American Bestiary: The Most Famous Mythical Creature of Every US State, Illustrated this thread was born.

So what's your favorite monster from any state or overseas somewhere or even darkest Canada? The dragon was the most-searched for example in England, China, and Switzerland. Others are more unique to their country of origin. In Cuban folklore, the Madre de aguas is a horned, bullet-proof snake the size of a palm tree.

My favourite has always been Baba Yaga's hut. I think that is the most nightmarish idea I've come across.

But also, more benignly, I quite like the dahu: Dahu - Wikipedia

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not really a monster but a naughty man who was painted as a monster so it has the advantage of being real

Pétassou is a local legend, a terror to the area. Blamed for just about anything from cows giving sour milk to the man of the house having uncontrollable flatulence.

Every March schoolchildren in the Perigord Noir area hold a ritual judgement. They create an effigy, parade him around the village or town, then hold court where traditional songs, stories and poetry are recited while judgement is decided. The judgement is always the same and cleanses the area of the bad omens that Pétassou brings. Burn him (nice kids we have around here)

20190329_151103.jpg

Audie

Veteran Member
In Philippines they have "People Who Are Not Like Us", who will, if they find clothes left on the line overnight, put them on.

If you then wear the clothes yourself, all manner of disasters will come to you.

Bear Wild

f4a0fc25a25eea25b4a6ec6f676844190b5adb12r1-2048-1351v2_uhq.jpg

I would but in for not my favorite but most terrifying is the Wendigo whose terrifying characteristic is insatiable greed never satisfied that destroys the very world it exists in. It reminds me to much of us humans which makes it the most terrifying.