• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My first Ash Wednesday

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I remember my first Ash Wednesday in seminary.

As I was walking from the library to the seminary building, I saw one or two people with an awful looking cross on their heads.

When I stepped into the seminary hall, EVERYONE had crosses on their heads. I thought that the apocalypse had come. I ran to the bathroom and there was no cross on MY head. As I walked to class I tried not to stare, but I was terrified.

And everyone looked at me like I was weird.

** As a side note, I made it a point not to attend chapel at both seminaries that I attended. It's a matter of pride that I've been in seminary since 2003 and I barely know where the chapels are. In this case, I would have saved myself a few moments of terror.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
That's hilarious! And impressive you could escape the (I assume mandatory) chapel sessions.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Not mandatory for me. :beach:

I see why you're the Daddy here.

If I remember correctly, the Bible college I attended required chapel attendance every day. A group of friends and I rotated signing each other in to avoid it. I hear it's currently more difficult to do that, because they switched to electronic sign-in using student ID cards.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I remember going to ash Wednesdays as a teenage catholic. On Thursdays, I usually got pimples where the ash was.................

A

angellous_evangellous

I see why you're the Daddy here.

If I remember correctly, the Bible college I attended required chapel attendance every day. A group of friends and I rotated signing each other in to avoid it. I hear it's currently more difficult to do that, because they switched to electronic sign-in using student ID cards.

Yikes. I attended a small Christian college where chapel was mandatory.

Most of the time it wasn't that bad, and we only had to go once a week. But the school was too small for us to rotate a sign-in. Chapel was actually kinda fun... the students would pull pranks like streaking, scaring girls with wolf masks, and passing out fliers for parties (this was obviously before facebook and even email).

Ah, the days.