• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My First Visit to an Orthodox Synagogue

Avi

Last night--Friday night--I went to a Chabad in Agoura Hills, California. I couldn't stand isolating myself to my studies and only reading about the wonderful Jewish community, so I set out Friday night to attend the shabbat service at the shul. I drove there, unfortunately, but I parked elsewhere as to pay my respect to their Shabbat. I parked in front of a liquor store, which had a Kosher Wine Here sign in the front window--I knew I was in the biggest Jewish community in the Ventura County, California. I left my cell phone in my car and I walked a ways up the street to the shul. There were a couple of teenage boys with kippot on. I introduced myself and they promptly and warmly pointed me to the service and retrieved a kippah for my bare head. They obviously knew that I was a first-timer, so they paid extra attention to me and helped me find my place in the siddur during the service. I happened to go on the shabbat when they were having a shabbat dinner in the main hall for the entire community later that night, and to my luck, I was invited. At this point, they had no idea that I wasn't Jewish at all. For all they knew I was a secular Jew interested in his religion. It wouldn't of mattered though, because when I finally told them, they were so intrigued, interested, and generally helpful in both asking and answering questions. One couple even offered me a room at their house every friday evening if I had the desire to keep shabbat. Can you imagine that? A Jewish couple offered, to a near stranger, a place to stay at their home! I will definitely return next shabbat and perhaps--just perhaps--I will take up that one Jewish couple's offer.

Deut 13:1

Avi said:
A Jewish couple offered, to a near stranger, a place to stay at their home! I will definitely return next shabbat and perhaps--just perhaps--I will take up that one Jewish couple's offer.
Just to answer the first question you will have if you stay in their house, "can I flush the toilet"

The answer is, "Yes". I remember when my parents would have people over who were returnees or interested in conversion, that was always the #1 question.

Avi, I'm proud of you. :hug:

jewscout

Religious Zionist
i'll never understand why some in the Jewish community find the Orthodox exclusionist or "holier than thou"

i have, and continue to find, the Orthodox to be very nice and inviting folks:D
:hug:

JonM

jewscout said:
i'll never understand why some in the Jewish community find the Orthodox exclusionist or "holier than thou"
My home synagogue exists because the community of observant Jews in Atlanta ostracized so many gay men and lesbians that they had to start their own synagogue. Of course, having had plenty of experience with observant Jews myself, I'm not stereotyping them at all, but those kinds of experiences lead to the view you're talking about.