• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Journey As A Christian

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
In August of this year, I will have been a Christian for 30 years. During my teen years, I did a lot of seeking. I thought about resurrection as it was a big thing in pop culture at the time. I looked into Hinduism, mostly because my favorite singer, George Harrison was one (not a good reason to follow a faith, though). When I first started thinking about Christianity, it started with the Jehovah's Witnesses. I studied with a family for quite a while (almost a year). The studies were pretty good. They were from a little book that told lessons and then had scriptures to look up. In the end, I rejected being a JW for various reasons. It was then that I attended a Baptist Church. In reality, I wasn't really a Christian at all. Then in August, 1983, when I was nearly 18 years old, I picked up a Good News Bible that my grandmother had given us- it was actually only a New Testament version called "Good News for Modern Man". I'd look at it, but I never thought to read it. I realized that I didn't know anything about Jesus at all! Not a thing. Reading it (I read the whole thing in one day)I realized what I had heard from Preachers and evangelists wasn't exactly the same as what I was reading. From the moment I finished reading it, I was a Christian.

For the first few years, I went to Church and all that but then a change came in my life. I was nearly 20 could only find part time work in my hometown (at the time). So I joined the Navy. In 1986, when I was 20, I went off the boot camp in Orlando. During my nearly seven years in the Navy, I went through a lot of changes in my life. Although I was still a Christian, I wasn't really living my life the way I should. I did a lot of things that I am not proud of at all. I only went to Church services off and on. Finally, when I was 26 or so, I did what Baptists call "rededicated myself to Jesus". I then got married, had children, and left the service.

When my oldest son was 3 years old, I had the blow of my life. I knew he had some problems- he hadn't started talking yet, never waved, and other troubling things. He received the official diagnosis of autism. I began a spiral downward about that time. I suppose I blamed God for my sons disability. I went through a bout of depression, anxiety, and I started to have symptoms related to diabetes. After 5 years, I decided it was time to once again "rededicate" myself to God. I stopped blaming God for my sons' problems (my younger son also showed problems).
It hasn't been an easy road but I persevered and I kept going.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
In August of this year, I will have been a Christian for 30 years. During my teen years, I did a lot of seeking. I thought about resurrection as it was a big thing in pop culture at the time. I looked into Hinduism, mostly because my favorite singer, George Harrison was one (not a good reason to follow a faith, though). When I first started thinking about Christianity, it started with the Jehovah's Witnesses. I studied with a family for quite a while (almost a year). The studies were pretty good. They were from a little book that told lessons and then had scriptures to look up. In the end, I rejected being a JW for various reasons. It was then that I attended a Baptist Church. In reality, I wasn't really a Christian at all. Then in August, 1983, when I was nearly 18 years old, I picked up a Good News Bible that my grandmother had given us- it was actually only a New Testament version called "Good News for Modern Man". I'd look at it, but I never thought to read it. I realized that I didn't know anything about Jesus at all! Not a thing. Reading it (I read the whole thing in one day)I realized what I had heard from Preachers and evangelists wasn't exactly the same as what I was reading. From the moment I finished reading it, I was a Christian.

For the first few years, I went to Church and all that but then a change came in my life. I was nearly 20 could only find part time work in my hometown (at the time). So I joined the Navy. In 1986, when I was 20, I went off the boot camp in Orlando. During my nearly seven years in the Navy, I went through a lot of changes in my life. Although I was still a Christian, I wasn't really living my life the way I should. I did a lot of things that I am not proud of at all. I only went to Church services off and on. Finally, when I was 26 or so, I did what Baptists call "rededicated myself to Jesus". I then got married, had children, and left the service.

When my oldest son was 3 years old, I had the blow of my life. I knew he had some problems- he hadn't started talking yet, never waved, and other troubling things. He received the official diagnosis of autism. I began a spiral downward about that time. I suppose I blamed God for my sons disability. I went through a bout of depression, anxiety, and I started to have symptoms related to diabetes. After 5 years, I decided it was time to once again "rededicate" myself to God. I stopped blaming God for my sons' problems (my younger son also showed problems).
It hasn't been an easy road but I persevered and I kept going.
Well done.
It is not always an easy journey, and life throws many things at us. Someone once asked God for something, and the answer was, 'What? Should I stop the world from turning for you?'' In other words, things happen, and that is the way it is. The sun shines on the good and the not good. That is the way it is. If you look at the archbishop of England, he has had a troubled life.... but off the top of my head, I don't recall the ins and outs of it.

I am glad you have kept to your race. Now finish the course, it will be worth it. :)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
First, I never knew before there was a Journals section on this site! Very cool!

Second, parts of your journey resemble my own. I investigated Jehovah Witnesses and I got into Hinduism due in part to George Harrison.

allfoak

Alchemist
Journals are good.

fridge_magents_magnet-p147323100945733055tmn8_152.jpg

Deidre

I'm a former Christian, and read your journal feeling inspired. I'll be following along if that's ok. :)
Hope you have a nice weekend.

allfoak

Alchemist
I'm a former Christian, and read your journal feeling inspired. I'll be following along if that's ok. :)
Hope you have a nice weekend.
Thank you very much.
I am so thankful to hear that someone gets some pleasure from what i share.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I feel as though I am entering a new phase of my faith. I have a whole lot going on right now, my family is in chaos. My time with God is about the only "eye" of the storm around me and it's been hard for me to get to it. I had a precept by Precept study of Isaiah, and I can tell you, it opened my eyes to a lot of things. I've read Isaiah on my own more than once and it so fascinating how differently others can explain it to you. I have felt my faith wavering back and forth from very strong to a bit of doubt. The doubt doesn't weaken my faith, like people would think it does, in fact, it strengthens it. Is makes me go back to the scriptures on my own to see what I have missed in reading them. I don't like skipping around the various books putting out of context verses together, I like to go through entire books: Like I did with Isaiah. My pastor does the same during his sermons: His sermons are less sermons and are more like a classroom. He teaches verse by verse in the same book. The same with my Sunday morning Bible study. I can and do read the bible on my own, but I also like how others perceive it.
More later.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I've been having a bit of trouble with certain people who assume things about me because of my faith. I've been accused of believing in original sin, which I've rejected several years ago. I've been accused that I don't truly follow a Christian faith because I choose not to share all of what I believe in here on the RF. I came here to learn, not to teach about my faith. I assume that if someone wants to know about my faith, the person would ask me. When I answer a question, I only give as much information as a person asks for and don't really delve into that deeply.