• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My title today about why many beliefs are to be self-evidently true ?

religon

I’m not talking about religions Many if our beliefs are self-evident truths , (I’m not talking about Religion) like the uniformity of nature , the reality of past , the validity of our reasoning, the existence of our minds and the existence of other people minds.. if you interested in this please comment, and i will explain further ... thanks ..

These truths are self-evident becuz they are characterized by being:

Universal: Not a product of specific culture, they are cross-cultural.

Untaught: Not based on information transfer (they are not learnt via acquiring knowledge)

Natural: Formed due to the natural functioning of the human psyche.

Intuitive: The most easy and simple interpretation of the world.

Let's apply this to the belief that past is real.

Universal : becuz most - if not all culture belief in the past, from a point of view that the past once was the present.

Untaught : No one grows up being told by parents that the past was real.

This belief is acquired via their own experience .

Natural: people with normal rational faculties agrees.

Intuitive: the simplest interpretation of our experiences and it is based on innate understanding of the world. To claim that the past is merely an illusion raises more problem than it solves.

Guys if you like the topic please comment

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It'd be more accurate, probably, to say some humans believe that certain things are self-evidently true for various reasons. Put another way, a given human will take certain things for grated to the point they are axiomatic to that human and become more or less blind to other ways of seeing and understanding which are present in other humans.

A good example of this, actually, is indeed time. This is so axiomatic that the assumptions about how a culture conceptualizes time are rarely if ever examined. Yet they are not the same across cultures - it's just that the hegemony of Western culture and a dash of ethnocentrism create an illusion of it being so.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have yet not established as to what is real and what is imaginary.
In a quantum world, everything exists and does not exist at the same time.
Reality is an individual's take.

220px-Quantum_Fluctuations.gif
Quantum fluctuation - Wikipedia

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I’m not talking about religions Many if our beliefs are self-evident truths , (I’m not talking about Religion) like the uniformity of nature , the reality of past , the validity of our reasoning, the existence of our minds and the existence of other people minds.. if you interested in this please comment, and i will explain further ... thanks ..

Untaught: Not based on information transfer (they are not learnt via acquiring knowledge)

Universal : becuz most - if not all culture belief in the past, from a point of view that the past once was the present.

Intuitive: the simplest interpretation of our experiences and it is based on innate understanding of the world. To claim that the past is merely an illusion raises more problem than it solves.

Guys if you like the topic please comment

I suppose they are true for us. That doesn't mean they are true outside of that.

The past no longer exists. Perhaps it was true at one time, now however, it is no longer true.
The present we experience consciously is an interpretation of what is true. So our personal experience of it maybe true to us, but to only us.

Not to say that there isn't a reality which does exist. An interpretation of that reality is all that we experience, not reality itself and that interpretation is "real" only to us. However, since our brains work for the most part the same, we share a common interpretation of reality which makes it real enough to us.

So what we claim as real/truth is true only in so far as it is a shared common interpretation of reality.

However, there is no guarantee that every brain has the same interpretation of reality. For example, color is an illusion/interpretation of reality that not everyone shares. Some folks are color blind and some non-human species actually see more colors than we do. So we experience a different truth than they do.

Therefore our "truth" which is self-evident, is not universal. Just universal enough among most humans.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I suppose they are true for us. That doesn't mean they are true outside of that.
I agree.
The past no longer exists. Perhaps it was true at one time, now however, it is no longer true.
I agree. Now tell that to any Bible-believing Christian!
The present we experience consciously is an interpretation of what is true. So our personal experience of it maybe true to us, but to only us.
I agree.
Not to say that there isn't a reality which does exist. An interpretation of that reality is all that we experience, not reality itself and that interpretation is "real" only to us. However, since our brains work for the most part the same, we share a common interpretation of reality which makes it real enough to us.

So what we claim as real/truth is true only in so far as it is a shared common interpretation of reality.
I believe that there a physical reality which does exist. An interpretation of that reality is all that we experience. However, since our brains work for the most part the same, we share a common interpretation of physical reality which makes it real enough to us.

I believe that there a reality which does exist. An interpretation of that reality is all that we experience, and that interpretation may or may not be reality itself. Our brains work the same way, but they all contain different information so we will not all share a common interpretation of spiritual reality. When I say spiritual reality I am referring to different religious beliefs about the purpose of life, beliefs about what God is and how God reveals Himself, and beliefs about the afterlife.
However, there is no guarantee that every brain has the same interpretation of reality. For example, color is an illusion/interpretation of reality that not everyone shares. Some folks are color blind and some non-human species actually see more colors than we do. So we experience a different truth than they do.
Yes, that's true. Even the physical reality can be interpreted differently by different people.
Therefore our "truth" which is self-evident, is not universal. Just universal enough among most humans.
I Agree.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

You said that these truths are self-evident, which means not needing to be demonstrated or explained; obvious.
You said you are not talking about religions.... I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by truths.

What we believe is true might be all of those things you listed, but it would only be self-evident to us.
Or it might be self-evident to most people, as in your example of the past below.

Intuitive: the simplest interpretation of our experiences and it is based on innate understanding of the world. To claim that the past is merely an illusion raises more problem than it solves
I agree that the belief that past is real is supported by all those factors that you listed.
When I say real, I mean that it once existed. The past no longer exists, it is only a memory of the past that exists.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I agree. Now tell that to any Bible-believing Christian!

When I say spiritual reality I am referring to different religious beliefs about the purpose of life, beliefs about what God is and how God reveals Himself, and beliefs about the afterlife.
Do Bahais believe any differently?
What is the worth of what you say when the only evidence for God that you can provide is the sayings/writings an uneducated 19th Century Iranian who claimed to be a manifestation of Allah (God) and thought that it was obligatory for all humans to accept him as one?

The past, at least as we remember it, is very much not real but a construction based on either personal or the aggregation of collective memory.

With various mythic systems, there is not necessarily a clear distinction between past/present/future in a linear and unidirectional manner.

The modern academic concept of history: an attempt to narrate and describe factual past events is far from universal. In pre-modern societies, the past was more of a vehicle to teach people something that matters in the present (and arguably it frequently still is even in the modern West)

The idea that the past is intuitively understood an objectively real collection of factual events seems not to match the reality 9or ironically, the historical reality).

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do Bahais believe any differently?
What is the worth of what you say when the only evidence for God that you can provide is the sayings/writings an uneducated 19th Century Iranian who claimed to be a manifestation of Allah (God) and thought that it was obligatory for all humans to accept him as one?
I really did not want to post on this thread because I knew you would have to chime in and say something about Baha'u'llah, and I was right, wasn't I?
Why do certain posters have to bring Baha'u'llah into the discussion when the threads such as this one are not about Baha'u'llah?
This thread is not about Baha'u'llah or evidence for God.

@Nakosis said: The past no longer exists. Perhaps it was true at one time, now however, it is no longer true.

@Trailblazer said: I agree. Now tell that to any Bible-believing Christian!

To answer your question, yes, Baha'is do believe differently about the past, which is what we were talking about.

Christians are living on the past because they believe that the Bible, a book written for a past age, still applies to the present age.
The Bible was written in the past for the past. Some of the spiritual truths still apply because they are eternal, but the rest is history.

By contrast, Baha'is are living in the present, following the Writings of Baha'u'llah, which were written for the present age in which we are living.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I really did not want to post on this thread because I knew you would have to chime in and say something about Baha'u'llah, and I was right, wasn't I?
Why do certain posters have to bring Baha'u'llah into the discussion when the threads such as this one are not about Baha'u'llah?
This thread is not about Baha'u'llah or evidence for God.

Christians are living on the past because they believe that the Bible, a book written for a past age, still applies to the present age.
The Bible was written in the past for the past. Some of the spiritual truths still apply because they are eternal, but the rest is history.

By contrast, Baha'is are living in the present, following the Writings of Baha'u'llah, which were written for the present age in which we are living.
Because your beliefs are only self-evidently true.
Bahais are living on past because what they believe was not true or fair even when their manifestation of Allah said/wrote it 151 years ago (1873).
After all, he was uneducated and knew nothing of science.

That book was written in the past for a people who lived in a past prior to the past, Iranian Shia Muslims, who believe in an Imam* who never appeared in public and is supposed to be in occultation - Muhammad ibn Hasan al-Mahdi, and who will return at the end of days.

* Imam: "For most Shia Muslims, the Imams are absolute infallible leaders of the Islamic community after the Prophet. Shias consider the term to be applicable only to the members and descendants of the Ahl al-Bayt, the family of the Islamic prophet Muhammad."

In 1873, James Maxwell was stating that light is an electromagnetic phenomenon. 19th century in science - Wikipedia

IMHO, You are not living in the present till you follow Bahaollah's teachings, including those about women and LGBTQ. I wonder how a woman follows Bahaollah who considered women unfit to equal men? Even now, you do not have a woman member in your House of Justice.

Last edited: