• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mystics Anyone?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
co_crucified said:
Dont think this is a stupid question please...well it may be but what exactly is a "mystic"?
My thoughts exactly. Mystic is a label applied to cool people who we really do not understand. It is sort of a catch all title.

Popeyesays

Definition is a good place to start:
mysticism

One entry found for mysticism. Main Entry: mys·ti·cism
Pronunciation: 'mis-t&-"si-z&m
Function: noun
1 : the experience of mystical union or direct communion with ultimate reality reported by mystics
2 : the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)
3 a : vague speculation : a belief without sound basis b : a theory postulating the possibility of direct and intuitive acquisition of ineffable knowledge or power

Regards,

Scott

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Mystic Experience results from a mental abnormality that can occur in any hominid. It is, thus, independent of time and culture.
Huxley referred to it's description as Philosophia Perrennis or Perennial Philosophy.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Popeyesays said:
Definition is a good place to start:
mysticism

One entry found for mysticism. Main Entry: mys·ti·cism
Pronunciation: 'mis-t&-"si-z&m
Function: noun
1 : the experience of mystical union or direct communion with ultimate reality reported by mystics
2 : the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)
3 a : vague speculation : a belief without sound basis b : a theory postulating the possibility of direct and intuitive acquisition of ineffable knowledge or power

Regards,

Scott
I think the Etymology dictionary definition is more descriptive:-
mystic (adj.) http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mystic 1382, "spiritually allegorical, pertaining to mysteries of faith," from O.Fr. mistique, from L. mysticus, from Gk. mystikos "secret, mystic," from mystes "one who has been initiated" (see mystery (1)). Meaning "pertaining to occult practices or ancient religions" first recorded 1615. The noun meaning "exponent of mystical theology" is from 1679, from the adjective. Mysticism coined 1736. And before anyone asks, occult http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=occult 1533, "secret, not divulged," from L. occultus "hidden, concealed, secret," pp. of occulere "cover over, conceal," from ob "over" + a verb related to celare "to hide," from PIE base *kel- (see cell). Meaning "not apprehended by the mind, beyond the range of understanding" is from 1545. The association with the supernatural sciences (magic, alchemy, astrology, etc.) dates from 1633. Basically, I would define a mystic as "one who dabbles in the supernatural.". Since I dislike the term 'supernatural', I would just use the word natural.

In other words, a 21St Century man starting up his car and driving it away in front of a middle ages man (were that possible) would be a mystic.:D

Master Vigil

If any of you have pets, you know some mystics. :D

My favorite christian mystic is St. Francis of Assisi, followed by Padre Pio, and St. John of the Cross. (Even though many may not agree that St. Francis and Padre Pio are mystics.)

Interestingly enough, I could name alot of taoist writers like Lao Tzu, or Chuang Tzu, or any buddhist leader like Dogen Zenji, or Hotei, and they would all qualify as a mystic. I think more religious people in the East accept the "mystic" concept more than the western religious. But that is just my observation.

Wow, by this definition I am a mystic. Surely this definition is wrong.

In other words, a 21St Century man starting up his car and driving it away in front of a middle ages man (were that possible) would be a mystic.:D
Guess not. :D

soma

John Kuykendall
Beyond our basic drives lies our inner psychic reality manifesting a living world that artist can only try to express in their creative endeavors. These spiritual experiences represent the mystical experience that is beyond the mind and body experience and merges all our hopes and dreams into one final climax.
thinkunity.com

Nehustan

I think that you guys will find that many of you are actually lead by mysticism. For instance the Christians amongst you, have you ever read a passage of the bible that you find allegorical, that you feel has a meaning other than the one written. Let me give you an example, is the parable of the sower Jesus addressing the farming comunnity? Or is he putting across comment on intellectual and social 'seeds'. If you think its is multilayered and have pondered it beyond the words....you're being 'mystic'.

soma

John Kuykendall
Climax is exciting because two people become united or one. Now, think how blissful it is when your unit consciousness unites with the collective pure consciousness of God the Father.